PDA

View Full Version : Beating the guy with the Big Forehand..

GuyClinch
09-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Let me say I am not a great tennis player..so I play this guy who can barely beat me. I was actually up 5-3 and blew it and lost 7-5.

The guy is not really a great player - he is maybe like a 3.0 with most strokes. But he has a really sweet hard forehand and although its quite flat but when he is on its really good. It bounces preetty low (because it's so flat) and skids. it's actually harder to handle then alot of good players forehands i have hit with. It's a rocket.

He also has a pretty good lob and a decent overhead. Okay now what I am looking for is some good shot combinations that enable me to work around this stroke.

I hit a few lobs on his second serve and that worked decently. But I am afraid to return cross court for his forehand side when he is on the deuce side and that's a natural return when the ball is on your outside.

Any advice on shots to work on and such to deal with that? I will probably end up playing the guy fairly often so I would like to get an edge.

Pete

Rickson
09-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Hit to his backhand. Hit inside out forehands and crosscourt backhands to his backhand side constantly. When he starts running around to hit forehands, hit to the open court and let him chase down those forehands.

Geezer Guy
09-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Well, this isn't the answer you're looking for, but consider that in the first 8 games you won 5, and in the last 4 games you didn't win ANY. Obviously you had a lot of success at the beginning of the set, but not at the end. Is your opponent's forehand REALLY what made the difference, or could it be something else (such as a fitness issue, or playing under pressure, etc)? My point is that you ALREADY have the skills to beat him - you just need to close out the set.

JackRabbit
09-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Take him out of his comfort zone..hit heavy deep topspin shots or low skidding slices to his forehand. He will probably lose confidence in his forehand and take some pace off. Then go to the net and finish him. Save hitting exclusively to his backhand for the more important points.