PDA

View Full Version : Serve with One, Play with the Other?

TripleB
09-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Anyone else here serve with one hand, switch the racquet to your other hand, and then play the rest of the point with that hand?

When I was first learning to play (around 5) I started hitting a backhand like I hit a tee ball - batting left handed. When I started learning to serve I served like I threw a ball - left handed. Only problem was I had to switch the racquet from my left hand to my right hand after I served.

Around age 8 I took about 5 lessons from a lady who said that once I got against better players I wouldn't have time to switch so she made me serve right handed...it looked and felt horrible (looked exactly like Jimmy Connors sky hook) but I stuck with it all the way through high school. Finally got fed up with people crushing my serve so I went back to serving left handed.

I think that's why my backhand is so much better than my forehand - I'm used to hitting a tee ball/baseball/softball from that side.

Anyway, anyone else serve with one hand, switch, and then play the rest of the point with the other hand?

TripleB

Geezer Guy
09-21-2005, 01:06 PM
Not me, but I played against a guy like that. He told me later that he'd been in an accident and couldn't raise his right hand above his shoulder. So, he served left-handed and then played right-handed. He didn't have any trouble making the transition back and forth. I'd think your only problem would be if you were a Serve & Volleyer, but even then I think you'd have ample time to change hands.

HOWEVER, if you're naturally right-handed, I'd suggest you try to learn to serve right-handed and then SWITCH service hands throughout the match. Depending on whether you're on the ad or duece side and what kind of serve you want to hit, etc. That could REALLY freak out some opponents!

Douggo
09-21-2005, 01:07 PM
I serve left, then switch to right. In baseball/softball, throw left, bat right.

papa
09-21-2005, 01:31 PM
Not a lot of players do this but Luke Jensen does - not all the time but not unusual with him. If you can serve effectively left-handed, stay with it.