PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Too Much on Technique

infinitx
09-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Hi,

I find myself constantly thinking too much when I hit forehands/backhands, and just about anything else. On my forehand, I think to make sure my non-dominant arm takes the racquet back fully, make sure I do a proper unit turn, load the weight on the right leg, make sure the right leg is slightly behind the left leg, make sure I have a not too tight grip on my racquet, that I lay my wrist back, keep eye contact with ball etc. etc. I don't know if this is helping me or hurting me.

What are your suggestions? Should I just keep thinking about technique like this or let if flow naturally and just concentrate on keeping my eyes on the ball and hitting it?

Thanks

Prince_of_Tennis
09-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Let it flow....Concentrate on the ball and take your swing at it.
I also tend to think too much when I'm hitting the ball. =(

GuyClinch
09-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Tom Avery says to think of only one or two things at a time. Try that..

matchpoints
09-22-2005, 05:08 AM
Tom Avery says to think of only one or two things at a time. Try that..

SO, would that be Lunch or Dinner?

Rickson
09-22-2005, 05:37 AM
Hi,

I find myself constantly thinking too much when I hit forehands/backhands, and just about anything else. On my forehand, I think to make sure my non-dominant arm takes the racquet back fully, make sure I do a proper unit turn, load the weight on the right leg, make sure the right leg is slightly behind the left leg, make sure I have a not too tight grip on my racquet, that I lay my wrist back, keep eye contact with ball etc. etc. I don't know if this is helping me or hurting me.

What are your suggestions? Should I just keep thinking about technique like this or let if flow naturally and just concentrate on keeping my eyes on the ball and hitting it?

Thanks
Everyone thinks during match play, but thinking about form should not be a major thought during a match. You should be thinking more about where to send your next shot, not how to send it looking all pretty.

Geezer Guy
09-22-2005, 10:02 AM
When I'm playing well, I think about match strategy - not the technical aspect of hitting the ball. If (guess I should way WHEN) I play poorly (meaning my shots suck) then I think about what I need to do to fix my technique. Once my technique improves, I quit thinking about it and go back to strategy.

rfprse
09-22-2005, 12:47 PM
I would practice the swing for whicherver technique you want to have in your stroke without hitting the ball untill you don't have to think about it too much. When you hit the ball, the main focus would better be on playing the ball.
You will not think about those too much once you acquire the skill untill then it might be a price to pay.
So, spend some extra time on getting the aspects of the form you want to develop without hitting the ball apart from your normal hitting practice.