PDA

View Full Version : SLAZENGER BALLS RULE, BUT WHY ARE THEY SO HARD TO FIND

tennisphotog
05-17-2004, 01:30 PM
I lived in Europe for many years where the standard ball is Slazenger. It is a superior ball in both weight, fluff, and longevity. Plus they come 4 to a can which is much better. Does Dunlop/Wilson/Penn have some monopoly that keeps Slazenger from competing? While I am at it, I also like the "better" balls that Wilson and Penn make like the "ATP" and "MASTERS" balls, but why do good tennis players show up with the crappy cheapo Wilsons and Penns for matches. These balls have no fluff, no weight, and are made for recreational hackers who don't know the difference.
I say it is time to educate the tennis community on the merits of paying the extra 50-cents for good tennis balls.

Big D
05-18-2004, 09:40 PM
that's b/c dunlop and slaz are the same company. ever try dunlops. they're better than the penns and wilsons

Deuce
05-18-2004, 10:14 PM
But the Dunlops are made in the Philippines. That means cheap labor.

Penns (at least the 'Penn Championship' balls) are made in the U.S.A.

That's reason enough for me to prefer the Penns over all others. They are simply less ethically bankrupt - everything being relative, of course.

AAAA
05-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Do Slazenger-Dunlop have a widespread distribution chain in the U.S.A? I doubt it.

inspector_clouseau
05-20-2004, 10:38 AM
slazenger made some good golf balls also, well this was like 8-9 years ago. anyways, i think slazenger is owned by dunlop? the best tennis balls i have used are dunlop "fort", made in japan, and only available in cans of two (like every other ball in asia). here's an interesting ad for the fort ball (reminds me of "lost in translation" haha):
http://tennis.dunlop.co.jp/gear/ball/fort/images/fort_img.jpg

RacquetDoctor
05-21-2004, 07:40 AM
Ethically Bankrupt? Just because they put a plant in the Philippines? Grow up...your public school education is showing.

tennisphotog
05-21-2004, 09:03 AM
Yeah, realize Dunlop and Slazenger are same company, but Slazenger balls are superior to anything Dunlop puts out.

Kirko
05-21-2004, 05:58 PM
You are quite right Slazengers are superior !

perfmode
05-21-2004, 09:53 PM
"Ethically Bankrupt? Just because they put a plant in the Philippines? Grow up..."

No, not just because they "put a plant in the Philippines - but because so doing inherently means that they pay the workers far less than the true value of the work. In other words, financial profit is made on the backs of the workers, who are desperate for jobs. To exploit this desperation in such a manner thus entitles one to the term 'ethically bankrupt'.

You're intelligent enough to understand this basic principle, are you not?

touché

Deuce
05-21-2004, 09:54 PM
"Ethically Bankrupt? Just because they put a plant in the Philippines? Grow up..."

No, not just because they "put a plant in the Philippines" - but because so doing inherently means that they pay the workers far less than the true value of the work. In other words, financial profit is made on the backs of the workers, who are desperate for jobs. To exploit this desperation in such a manner thus entitles one to the term 'ethically bankrupt'.

You're intelligent enough to understand this basic principle, are you not?

tennisphotog
05-24-2004, 05:32 AM
Since I started this topic on this section and "RANTS and RAVES", it is quite clear that the Slazenger ball is clearly a better quality ball. They are available in the USA for about $3.75 a can but only a few places carry them. Do a web-search and you will find them. Try them, and you will experience a much better hitting experience on the court. Promise.

RacquetDoctor
05-24-2004, 07:24 AM
Deuce, this was supposed to be a column about a quality tennis ball, not a political rant about ethically behaving companies. Pay the workers less than what they are worth? Oh, please. Maybe less than what you would consider working for, but not them. I would bet they would rather work for them than do nothing...The company is providing much needed jobs in an unhealthy Philippino economy...They are not exploiting a situation. I will leave this in the 'I respectfully disagree' category. If you would like to continue the conversation privately, email me...I would be more than happy to continue it...You and I have very different views of capitalism...I would love to hear your spin on the outsourcing of tecnical jobs to India...

LMW
05-25-2004, 04:24 AM
Slazenger tennis balls are also manufactured in the Philippines.

Kirko
05-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Penn is abt. the worst ball around . Wilson 2nd tier balls blow them away. A very nice bal is Wilson's white grass court ball very much like a Slaz. the seam is perfect no "dribble" like Penn.

Will
06-01-2004, 04:06 AM
You can get Slazenger and wilson in Australia but its really hard to get Penn balls so it kinda evens out

drop shot
06-28-2004, 09:59 PM
The only problem is that when you play tournaments or USTA team competition where the balls are furnished, and you are used to a superior ball, the tournament will usually give out a can of cheap Wilsons or Penns and then your game may suffer a bit.

jayserinos99
06-28-2004, 11:24 PM
i'm so used to penn balls (thanks costco) so i haven't used the slazengers or dunlops very much. what's the main difference? do they really last longer than wilsons or penns?

gmlasam
06-29-2004, 03:56 AM
i'm so used to penn balls (thanks costco) so i haven't used the slazengers or dunlops very much. what's the main difference? do they really last longer than wilsons or penns?Dunlop championship balls last longer in pressure retention and felt durabilty compared to Wilson and Penn.

BTW...does costco sell the Penn balls by 24 can cases? If so, for how much?

corncob3466
06-29-2004, 06:36 AM
lol, i got two cans of slazenger balls at disney world. it was at epcot actually. they were like $8 a can. they played well, though. but no balls are worth $8 a can.

jayserinos99
06-29-2004, 09:14 PM
gmlasam, i forgot how much the case cost, but they are the 24 can cases.

perfmode
06-29-2004, 10:21 PM
slazenger made some good golf balls also, well this was like 8-9 years ago. anyways, i think slazenger is owned by dunlop? the best tennis balls i have used are dunlop "fort", made in japan, and only available in cans of two (like every other ball in asia). here's an interesting ad for the fort ball (reminds me of "lost in translation" haha):
http://tennis.dunlop.co.jp/gear/ball/fort/images/fort_img.jpg

Today is your lucky day.

http://cgi.*********/ws/****ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20870&item=3685337 158&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

SwissServe
07-05-2004, 09:55 AM
I have played a few tournaments here in Switzerland, and Slazenger balls are pretty nice to play.... I have just checked my local dealer, there are four different types:
- Slazenger CP (box, 6 balls, CHF 22.-)
- Slazenger Wimbledon ultra vis (can, 4 balls, CHF 14.-)
- Slazenger Championship (can, 4 balls, CHF 12.-)
- Slazenger Trainer (bag, 60 balls, CHF 160.-)

I played with the Wimbledon ball and they last long. Here in Europe we play the balls much longer than in the US I think, maybe they are more expensive? 14 Swissfrancs are around
11.30 US$ but I will play around two month with 2 cans... (once/twice a week).

to compare:
Wilson US open (can, 4 balls, CHF 12.- = US$ 9.70)
Penn ATP tour (can, 4 balls, CHF 14.- = US$11.30)

How often do you exchange your balls? How much do they cost in the US?

Xanataos
07-06-2004, 09:13 PM
Slazenger is pretty popular in Hong Kong. I bought 3 cans of VIS for 100HKD... Around 4.2USD for each can... I bought them in a club house so i think it should be a little cheaper outside.

bcaz
07-08-2004, 08:09 PM
From what I have heard and read, I envy those of you who have access to Slazenger balls. Here in the States, our balls may not be as good, but they are much cheaper. In general, one can go to a mass merchandiser and buy balls for about $2 US (3 per can) plus about 6-8% tax (basic Wilson or Penn balls). Even at a first-rate retail tennis shop, I buy Dunlop Grand Prix balls (3) for $2.40 or about $2.60 with tax included.

SwissServe
07-09-2004, 02:10 AM
what?! I pay about 4times more.... Maybe we are used to play others? But we have guidelines from the swiss tennis association, which balls are allowed for official matches (box or can is labeled) and they are allways more expensive....

Radical Shot
07-14-2004, 04:08 AM
Yep, agree completely. Slazenger is the best tennis ball. Better felt, better bounce and longevity, best feel, and better visibability than any other ball.

Deuce. You've done it again. You make me laugh.
________
buy vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/vaporizers)

louisc
07-19-2004, 07:23 AM
Until last month, I would have agreed that the Slazenger Ultra vis is the best ball. You can pick them up in England just about anywhere. However, having tried Prince's new NXT Tour ball, it is even better. I swapped between 4 Princes and 4 Slazengers. By the time the Princes were past their best, I had in fact gone through another can of Slazengers. The Princes have great durability without having the harshness of Tretorn balls nor the over fluffiness fo some other brands. Having seen them in the stores in Europe yet. Are they are in US stores now?

dantyem108
07-20-2004, 07:56 AM
Penn balls are just paintjobs of slazengers :shock: :D