PDA

View Full Version : Why dont pros use grips instead of overgrips??

c10
05-17-2004, 02:35 PM
Can someone answer this question please.

bfonz7
05-17-2004, 06:33 PM
Most likely just a comfort issue like the rest of us. plus not using an overgrip can cause your racquet to slip from you hand....probably one of the leading ways crack their frames by having the racquet slip out on a serve or overhead.

BigboyDan
05-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Sweat.

Overgrips absorb a lot of moisture; leather gets very slippery when wet. Blister inducing. In the Summer here in Texas I will change my overgrip after each set - normal routine.

ps 6.0
05-17-2004, 07:26 PM
My take on it is that with Replacement grips the pro can actually create their own grooves on the racket handle making things alot better and more comfortable for play. So with overgrips you can maintain tackiness while keeping with your actual "custom molded" grips. At least that's why i use the exact same replacement grips and the exact same overgrips so i can maintain the same feel and grooves across my all of my rackets.

matchpoints
05-17-2004, 08:58 PM
Sweat.

Overgrips absorb a lot of moisture; leather gets very slippery when wet. Blister inducing. In the Summer here in Texas I will change my overgrip after each set - normal routine.

true that. Texas humidity is about to start. Stock up on them Tournagrips :mrgreen:

Deuce
05-18-2004, 10:09 PM
"Why dont pros use grips instead of overgrips??"

Because we (the tennis player and consumer) use mostly overgrips. It's a question of marketing.

topspin
05-19-2004, 09:32 AM
Overgrips allow you to change the feel of your grip without removing the more expensive replacement grip. If you have a leather grip, you want to protect it with an overgrip. They are quick and easy to replace and offer a much better handle on your racquet especially in hot humid conditions. That's why most pros use them.

ProStaffTour90
05-19-2004, 09:34 AM
Strange thread title, couldn't it just have been why do pro's use overgrips! Now it looks like your asking why don't they use replaceent grips instead of overgrips as if they just use an overgrip over nothing....oh i'll frickin shut up! i feel strange today!

thomas martinez
05-19-2004, 09:59 AM
More than you think use just normal grips wihtout overgrips. Calleri, Capriati, Davenport, Woodbridge, Ferreria, Henman, Kafelnikov(when he was playing), Myskina, Mauresmo(who uses a raised contour type grip), Petrova, Rubin, Saretta, Gambill, Sluiter, Llodra, and probably countless others. On the men's side, my guess for why you do not see it as much is because of two things, the amount who use Tournagrips, and the fair amount of players who strangely just wrap two or three overgrips on the bare handle. Like someone else said, sweaty hands need grips to absorb.

Colpo
05-19-2004, 10:16 AM
Good question.

You can rule out expense or grip feel as the likely majority reason because a) pros tend to have money for these things/are sponsored/get the stuff free and b) many of today's replacement grips offer an ideal, tacky feel that's just as good as what an overgrip can provide. That said, why not just play your size in the base grip?

My thinking is pros like to refresh/replace their grips often, sometimes multiple times during a match. Overgrips are far more disposable/easy to remove on the fly and replace than base grips. Also, replacing a base grip could more significantly alter the grip feel, depending on how much overlap is used. Isn't it preferable to have a base grip wrapped once exactly the way you like it, then covered up and preserved by overgrips? Another reason, as Tom Martinez noted, many pros continue to use Tourna-Grip, a plushy, chammy feel that hasn't been replicated in any base grips I know of.