PDA

View Full Version : Moon Balls

Iron57
09-22-2005, 11:42 AM
How can I stop hitting them? I am currently blaming my new racquet, but I always had a propensity to hit these things. At least they go in, and they lead to tough shots for my opponents, but it would be nice to keep some of them low.

SageOfDeath
09-22-2005, 04:52 PM
it could be where you contact the ball or it could be that your grip is to open. Go check grip guides on the sticky of tennis tips/instruction.

cadfael_tex
09-22-2005, 05:01 PM
Maybe others could answer but I don't have enough information. What grip do you use? Describe your swing and body preparation.

GrahamIsSuper
09-22-2005, 06:13 PM
Do you mishit a lot? I have a friend who uses an extreme western, and he hits an incredibly heavy moonball off his forehand, and wants to keep it lower for some reason.

His main problem is that he hits up the back side of the ball, rather than around the outside. This back brushing effect cannot help but make a ball go higher. So, I would most likely say your problem would be that you are hitting the back of the ball too directly, and the fix would be to hit around the side of the ball more. By the side, I mean brush the outside edge if you can.

Another issue you could be having (that is related and most likely a definite side effect of the back of the ball issue) is that your swing path is almost entirely "up", meaning as you swing from low to high, it is almost a straight up motion, causing you to miss-hit a lot. An easy fix to this would be trying to take the ball as early as possible, thus moving your contact point forward, and effectively lengthening your stroke, producing a flatter shot.

So, i would say that you need to lengthen your swing, and hit around the side of the ball. hopefully, it will help you out some. good luck.

Iron57
09-27-2005, 07:50 PM
Hey, thanks for the tips. I have been mis-hitting a bit more these days. I only use a slightly western grip on forehands, and don't hit the ball too heavy. However, as I play alot of doubles, the charging server can pick off my returns easily when I hit some of these, so I am trying to keep them low.

I will let you know how it goes...

All Court
09-27-2005, 07:52 PM
Keep your racquet more square. You're probably hitting late.

Meet the ball out in front and push through. It's also very likely you're pulling up too early.

Why don't you hit the ball machine?

Iron57
09-28-2005, 05:00 AM
That would be great, if I had a ball machine or a few hundred bucks to get one. Just blew my tennis budget on a couple of O3's, so it looks like I will have to find a hitting partner instead.

Thanks for the tips!

Marius_Hancu
09-28-2005, 05:38 AM
you don't go enough through your balls
think of going through 4 balls in series
brushing too much
racket trajectory too low to high, flatten it a bit
check Fed's FH clips in the Sticky (Forehand Issues)

joe sch
09-28-2005, 06:59 AM
How can I stop hitting them? I am currently blaming my new racquet, but I always had a propensity to hit these things. At least they go in, and they lead to tough shots for my opponents, but it would be nice to keep some of them low.
Learn how to hit the ball flat, which means adjusting your strokes, windup & followthru's.
You may want to adjust your grip, probably from your western to more eastern ?

Ash Doyle
09-28-2005, 07:09 AM
What are you calling "Moon balls"? Some players on this board consider balls that pass six feet over the next moon balls. Those are not moon balls. How high are we talking here?

Anyway, I'd say with almost complete certainty your problem is racquet face control. The racquet is not meeting the ball at the correct angle, and is much too open.

Fatmike
09-28-2005, 08:18 AM
you don't go enough through your balls
think of going through 4 balls in series
brushing too much
racket trajectory too low to high, flatten it a bit
check Fed's FH clips in the Sticky (Forehand Issues)

right

.... .... . ... . .

Iron57
09-28-2005, 02:48 PM
When I say moon balls, I mean high topspin (not real heavy) almost 10' over the net. Not good enough to be topspin lobs, and a rushing net player can pick them out of the air just on the service line without too much trouble.

I think you are all on to something with the face control and driving through...

...seems to be working to keep the shots lower.

mark1
09-28-2005, 03:09 PM
yea i dont think its ten feet over the net because that would be like fifteen feet off the ground. i know that it wouldnt be easy for me at the net to easily pick off something that high...

GrahamIsSuper
09-28-2005, 03:31 PM
When I say moon balls, I mean high topspin (not real heavy) almost 10' over the net. Not good enough to be topspin lobs, and a rushing net player can pick them out of the air just on the service line without too much trouble.

I think you are all on to something with the face control and driving through...

...seems to be working to keep the shots lower.

:D Told ya. Its from experience, man. Just flatten your swing a little bit and move in, you'll be all set!

tennismx
09-28-2005, 06:22 PM
i've been told to make sure my racket isnt too open, like facing upwards. like everyone else says: keep it square

Iron57
10-01-2005, 07:38 PM
yea i dont think its ten feet over the net because that would be like fifteen feet off the ground. i know that it wouldnt be easy for me at the net to easily pick off something that high...

It must be hard to play tennis with a five-foot high net.

At any rate, the charging player can pick them off when they are dropping into the court, at say around the edge of the service box, when they are shoulder high or so at that point.

Well, long story short my last few matches have been much better, though now I am hitting some short. I love this game!

GrahamIsSuper
10-01-2005, 08:04 PM
It must be hard to play tennis with a five-foot high net.

At any rate, the charging player can pick them off when they are dropping into the court, at say around the edge of the service box, when they are shoulder high or so at that point.

Well, long story short my last few matches have been much better, though now I am hitting some short. I love this game!

Are you sure you're hitting the outside edge? If you are, they should land pretty deep. Either that or you're late and not benefitting from the earlier get.

Iron57
10-02-2005, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the tips, all. I played a singles match today against a capable serve-volley chip and charge player, and prevailed 6-4, 7-5. I was able to keep the passing shots in play, and the returns low and at his feet (for the most part). I took my time, set up, used less wrist, and tried to flatten things out, keeping mindful of my racquet face positioning.

Thanks again all! I think I was able to turn a corner today!