PDA

View Full Version : My serve

x Southpaw x
09-22-2005, 08:54 PM
http://www.zippyvideos.com/5753185801295196/mytennis_frontserve/

http://www.zippyvideos.com/7672901361295236/mytennis_sideserve/

That's me and my serve. Personally, I'm pretty satisfied with the results, but if there's something to say about it, go ahead.

Sorry for it being sideways and with a weird black border.

PM_
09-22-2005, 08:59 PM
You look just like your avatar, sp. ;)

POGO
09-22-2005, 09:15 PM
On your side view, you serve looks like you are rushed. Try getting that trophy pose and press at the hip more and explode to the ball from the leg.

Have you clocked how fast you are serving?

supersmash
09-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Hey, your serve is like a Feliciano Lopez, without the kneebend.

Rickson
09-23-2005, 05:04 AM
That is the most horizontal serve I've ever seen!

x Southpaw x
09-23-2005, 07:53 AM
Hm yeah, the video seems to be playing through a lot faster than I expect, my service motion isn't that fast. Both are best viewed using quicktime, so you can see the slow-mo but zippyvideos doesn't support it =( But if you do pause the video before I hit the ball, my knee bend does get pretty low. I don't know lopez's serve and I don't see how it's the "most horizontal" =P toss goes straight up and my body goes up and forward pretty much like most serves.

Thanatos
09-23-2005, 07:53 AM
http://www.zippyvideos.com/5753185801295196/mytennis_frontserve/

http://www.zippyvideos.com/7672901361295236/mytennis_sideserve/

That's me and my serve. Personally, I'm pretty satisfied with the results, but if there's something to say about it, go ahead.

Sorry for it being sideways and with a weird black border.

1. Try to keep your left arm up a little longer, which keeps you from looking down to early.

2. POGO is correct, your serve motion looks a little rushed and
you need to explode (upwards) into the ball more.

Overall, good serve!

Rickson
09-23-2005, 08:02 AM
Hm yeah, the video seems to be playing through a lot faster than I expect, my service motion isn't that fast. Both are best viewed using quicktime, so you can see the slow-mo but zippyvideos doesn't support it =( But if you do pause the video before I hit the ball, my knee bend does get pretty low. I don't know lopez's serve and I don't see how it's the "most horizontal" =P toss goes straight up and my body goes up and forward pretty much like most serves.
Horizontal, meaning you make the viewers' necks hurt.

Marius_Hancu
09-23-2005, 08:03 AM
get more action in those knees/quads.

Dimethyl Sulfoxide
09-23-2005, 08:09 AM
The biggest contribution to the serve power is the legs, and you're barely pushing off it. Use more leg/hip thrust!

Thanatos
09-23-2005, 08:25 AM
get more action in those knees/quads.

In regards to knee bends and leg thrust, I noticed that if I toss the ball vertically up, it's harder to keep my head-up and bend my knees to get more push off the ground (old video\serve). However, the more forward I toss the ball into the court, I'm able to keep my head up and see the ball better (making clean contact with the ball), while exhibitting more natural knee\leg thrust upwards towards the ball. Finally, the pace on my kick served increased significantly more then my old service motion (new video..will post latter).

FiveO
09-23-2005, 10:57 AM
x Southpaw x,

The side view of your serve shows a couple of places where you are bleeding away nrg and losing racquet head speed as an end result:

1) Your shoulders never deviate far from the horizontal. Through the toss and pre-launch the shoulders remain very close to parallel with the court surface. It isn't until you start moving up toward contact and the hitting shoulder rotates over the toss shoulder that they get off that horizontal plane. The power servers ALL achieve a near vertical shoulder alignment (70 to 80 degree angle up) with the toss shoulder well above the hitting shoulder in the pre-launch or trophy position immediately prior to accelerating up and through contact. Your shoulders stay extremely "flat" until the hit. Getting your shoulders angled up in this manner will afford you a much greater distance to rotate your shoulders, (hitting shoulder over toss shoulder) when transitioning to contact. The greater distance that the shoulders rotate one over the other, translates into more speed=more power and more spin. As suggested earlier in this thread keeping that toss arm up a little longer can also help.

2) No hip stretch. Stop the video at the release of the toss and you will see that the toss shoulder is the part of your body that is the furthest past or forward of the baseline. The shoulders are ahead of the hips and feet. You're leaning your body into the court "front shoulder first" like the Tower of Pisa. You're leaning instead of bowing and you're leaning too early. Instead you should be bowing your body like a vaulter's pole, with the toss (your right) hip furthest forward at this point in the motion. As the toss is released or just after the toss is released, your body should be bowed like that vaulter's pole or the letter "C". Without the bowing or "hip-stretch", there's nothing to release or allow to snap back to a straight body alignment at contact. That "body snap" supplies tremendous nrg to the serve, like the bowed vaulter's pole releases its stored nrg when it snaps back to its original shape. No hip-stretch=no snap=loss of nrg into contact.

That hip stretch will also encourage the "angled up shoulders" and most likely the slightly deeper knee bend others here are encouraging you to employ. It may also necessitate you to adjust how soon your racquet gets to the the pre-launch or "trophy position". It gets there early which is probably contributing to not angling the shoulders up.

The motion is good. I particularly like your toss. Personally I think there is enough knee bend. And you're "lifting off" showing that you uncoil up and forward as you should. But I feel you a giving away too much racquet head speed by not getting into a better pre-launch position. Angle those shoulders up after the toss and stretch that right hip and I think you'll experience marked gains in pace and spin on your serve.

Good luck.