PDA

View Full Version : One Handed Backhand

tonysk83
09-23-2005, 03:07 PM
I know this probably has been talked about before but...I am just starting to play tennis, I've only been playing for like 2-3 months. I feel I am pretty good for just starting out. I used to play people that were just at the same level as me so 1hbh was easy to do since the ball wasn't coming very fast. My goal is to make varsity tennis this year so I have been playing 4-5 times a week against really good players that have played on the team since they were freshman. I started doing 2 handed because that's what they suggested. It does help against hard hits because you can keep the racket more stable. I just can't stand doing it though. I feel so restricted and it is very hard for me to move the ball around the court and get good angles with it. So for the past few weeks I have been using a 1hbh. I get critized for it a lot, mainly because I haven't got it down consistently yet, but I feel more confident in it and when I do get a soild hit compared to a solid 2hbh it just feels so much better. One of my problems is though, first I tend to hit it into the bottom of the net. My other problem is hitting the top of my racket on it and the ball just bouncing off my racket and not going anywhere. Any suggestions on a new player learning to hit a good topspin 1hbh. Any help is much appreciated. I am going to start taking some private lessons next week which I am sure will help me tons. Just want some comments on 1hbh vs. 2hbh and any of the such.

gugafanatic
09-23-2005, 03:16 PM
Make sure you are stepping into the ball and transferring your weight forward otherwise you will be off balance when attempting 1hbh topspin. Make sure you get an adequate shoulder turn when the ball is approching and finish open stance to obtain max power and angle.

Put your raquet in-between your left arm and body and pull it out with your right arm. You will have the necessary grip for a 1hbh.

SageOfDeath
09-23-2005, 03:16 PM
The 1 handed backhand imo has more reach and easier to hit on the rise with. The 2 hander seems to be more forgiving, easier to hit open stance with, and more stable. (the benefit from being able to hit with open stance is if you are late but with a 1 hander you could just as easily slice it if you are late)

Definately ask for advice on it from your coach next week. He shouldn't really force you one way or the other but rather just list the benefits from each. Good luck on making varsity.

Rickson
09-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Use a closed stance. Many 2 handed players hit with an open stance, but for a 1 hander, the closed stance is ideal. Get a good shoulder turn and keep a straight arm at the followthrough. 2 handers are used to folding up the followthrough, but 1 handers should extend out and not fold the arm up. Don't hit the ball from the middle of your body which many new 1 handers tend to do believe it or not. Good luck with the one hander.

lcw
09-23-2005, 03:44 PM
I had a terrible backhand for a long time and couldn't master all the moves necessary to hit it with consistency like turning the body, leaning forward, watching the ball, swinging from low to high and so on. One day I discovered an easy way to do all the right moves by applying just one. Point the hitting shoulder to the ball. You will turn your body, bend your knees, watch the ball and have the racquet ready all at the same time. Don't worry about hitting it hard at the beginning, just learn how to get in position.
If you look at Justine Harden, Goog , Moresmo, Sabatini, Blake and Gasket you will notice the hitting shoulder always pointing to the coming ball.
lcw

cadfael_tex
09-23-2005, 04:50 PM
I agree with lcw and Rickson. I was originally taught a 2 hander but always hated it - didn't fit with the s+v game I wanted to play. The trick for me eventually getting it was weighting the front foot and pointing my lead shoulder at the ball. The 2 hander is an easier shot to learn but once you get the one hander it is a thing of beauty like a lime green hatchback.

tonysk83
09-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Haha, lime green hatchback. Thanks for the tips guys. I went to a placement class today for tennis lessons and when the pro was watching me play he really liked that I was doing a 1hbh and gave me a few pointers similar to what you guys are saying.

Marius_Hancu
09-23-2005, 07:18 PM
check my posting
Onehanded Backhand
in the Sticky thread at the top of this forum
several great threads and clips there