PDA

View Full Version : biceps or triceps ?

chow ming en
09-23-2005, 10:43 PM
does tennis require more of the biceps or triceps ?

Prince_of_Tennis
09-23-2005, 10:59 PM
between the two I would say Biceps.

All Court
09-23-2005, 11:12 PM
Are you kidding? Working the biceps will do almost nothing for tennis in terms of functionality. Whenever the shoulder is used, in tennis, constantly, the biceps are also used. But working them for any purpose other than avoiding muscular imbalance won't help you too much.

Conditioning the triceps and shoulder muscles (such as the rotator cuff) will be more functional. Not only will it help a little, it will avoid some of the most common injuries in tennis, as well as avoid injuries to the biceps (since the biceps are directly connected to the shoulder as stated before).

Chow ming en, you wanted to start conditioning for tennis, right? At least that's what is implied to me from the the other thread you made? Get a personal trainer, or at least work something out with your coach. Avoid overtraining, and make sure you avoid going for lots of muscle mass, and "cosmetic muscles" -you want LEAN muscle mass and functional strength. Most of the time the huge muscles you see on bodybuilders do nothing for them besides be aesthetically pleasing.

Also, be sure to target the legs and core. But go see that personal trainer at least once or twice to create a workout routine, since they can see you and determine best what to do.

POGO
09-23-2005, 11:14 PM
I would say both. On serves, you triceps are used when you extend your arm to contact the ball, on groundstrokes both muscles are used.

All Court
09-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Just in case you misunderstand my post and neglect biceps muscles altogether, I'll try to clarify again here.

The biceps should not be avoided. Do light weights with lots of reps. You're working to avoid imbalance (I believe I stated this before) and make sure it's not the weakest link in the muscular chain. But you won't really see any performance boosts.

Make sure you target ALL of the shoulder muscles, not just the triceps, by the way. The shoulders are the base of a lot of kinetic chains, and as stated, the most common injuries occur in the shoulder. Once again, you are working to avoid imbalance. Strengthen the shoulder.

You shouldn't really be asking to do only one exercise, it's essential to set up a good routine you can follow with a trainer that targets a lot of things. That last sentence is the best advice I can give.

ShooterMcMarco
09-23-2005, 11:34 PM
its all about the forearms.

Rickson
09-24-2005, 05:25 AM
does tennis require more of the biceps or triceps ?
No doubt about it, more triceps than biceps, and this is coming from a former powerlifter.

Tim Tennis
09-24-2005, 06:18 AM
I would say both. On serves, you triceps are used when you extend your arm to contact the ball, on groundstrokes both muscles are used.

Have to go along with POGO. Don't under estimate how important your biceps are on power topspin forehand shots.

All Court said, "Do light weights with lots of reps." Can't argue with that but I don't see anything wrong with using heavier weights to increase your strength. No, you don't want massive arms and have to drag them all around the tennis court but look at Nadal, hell, Andre benches over 300 lbs., look at Andy Roddick, Safin, Robbie Giniperi, these guys are strong.

ShooterMcMarco said, "It is all forearms." I think he is right, but just what do the forearms do? They define hand strength and wrist strength. Working both the biceps and triceps will increase your forearm strength.

You got to love the game.

All Court
09-24-2005, 09:15 AM
Heavier weights for increasing strength is fine, but probably not to effective or efficient when you're targeting the biceps. Nadal has HUGE biceps. But honestly, the time could have been better spent.

Don't isolate muscles, target multiple muscles at once. Olympic lift exercises and even the benchpress, as said, would help a LOT more than doing bicep curls. It's alright to be strong, but I prefer to get the entire body (the olympic lifts are perfect for that).

And in any case, I DON'T do olympic lifts or anything with large loads with clients until I have them complete a three week base program based on bodyweight exercises for the most part. A lot of people suggest making the base program a lot longer, even.

This guy doesn't sound like he has a functional fitness base or any previous experience, so I didn't want to mention heavy weights.

Tim Tennis
09-24-2005, 11:12 AM
All Court, Well said. I agree.

alan-n
09-24-2005, 04:09 PM
You are better off spending more time and effort using light weights, high repetitions (20+) on shoulder raise exercises, stomach cruches, sprinting and torso twist exercises. Its amazing how much easier it is to hit good shots if your feet and body are in position and prepared.

Mountainman
09-24-2005, 05:33 PM
Could you be more specific about your question? Let me try to answer what you
're trying to ask.

From my view, I do not see which muscle is more important in tennis. All I know is that isolating a muscle will increase the chance of pulling a muscle. If all I worked out is biceps, my triceps would not have the strength to contract and let the biceps rest. If I force myself to contract the triceps and rest my biceps, my triceps would have to work harder to pull the biceps to rest. Therefore, my triceps would be sore easily and have a higher chance of injury. You wouldn't work just the pectorals without working the back, right? Make sure to work the muscles that work together. One muscle will contract; the opposite muscle will rest.

There are also a fast-twitch muscles and slow twitch muscles. You tap into fast-twitch muscles when you try to lift heavy weights. The fast-twitch muscles are very powerful but very fatigue. That's why when you do heavy weights, you could only do few repetitions. Slow-twitch muscles are very weak to lifting weights but has high endurance. You tap into slow-twitch muscles by doing light weights. In tennis, you tap mostly slow-twitch muscles because the amount of force you lift is less than 60 percent of your body weight. So all those players who say do high repetitions with light weights know something about the muscle kinetics. I would listen to them.