PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating on my game...

Talent
09-24-2005, 05:34 PM
Hi,

First off, let me introduce myself. I'm known as Ralph and as you can see through my info, I live in Florida, Central to be more exact. I've been playing tennis since 11 to 12 years ish and I am now 15 years old. I'm a 4.5 aggressive baseline player with a little counterpuncher in there, and I am trying to become more well-rounded. I have a full-western forehand grip and two-handed backhand. I also have a pinpoint stance on my serve.

I made some observations on my game after a hitting session today, and I will appreciate all tips given. It was my first hitting session with my newly purchased Dunlop 300G and for those that had this racquet in mind for demoing, it is awesome and is worth a sure fire shot. To add another thing that will help explain what I'm about to write, I was so 'juiced' up during this whole session, I mean my adrenaline was pumping from the beginning.

The observations I made on my ground game is I sacrifice a lot of UEs for winners. I was overexcited today in the words of my hitting partner. I felt like the ball was coming in slow motion to me. Is that equal to more winners to errors ratio a bad thing? I wasn't really counting, but it felt that way. If I understand correctly, that is how the ratio is in the pros' matches nowadays.

In my quest to become more all-around, I've worked on 'slicing and dicing' shots over the past months. My one-handed backhand slice has improved greatly, but I feel I need a bit more to put consistently, effective action on it. My game is also not limited to the baseline, as far as putting away short balls/sitters cleanly or if I don't put them away, I'm in the position to end the point soon there after. I feel my drop shot is coming along nicely, but it has really only shown its brilliance when I attempt it more inside the court. I know you are supposed to attempt droppers more inside the court, but what should I remember when attempting a drop shot farther back?

I still don't feel completely natural at net. This also seemed affected due in part to me being beside myself. I describe my prowess at the net as just blocking and not really being able to control my vollies, and maybe better on a good day up there. Could you give some tips for this part of my game?

Nice to meet y'all and reading around these boards, it seems like it will an informative experience. I've also been buying from TW for years.

Thanks in advance for your responses in this thread,
Ralph

golden chicken
09-24-2005, 05:48 PM
for more "pop" on your volleys, make sure to move forewards. also, make sure to have a continental grip, which is sometimes hard for western grippers to get to.

as to the UE part of your game, you might want to have someone help you chart a match. find out if you're winning games because you're hitting winners, or because you're forcing errors, or because your opponent is making UEs. you can have tons of UEs, no winners, and still win if your opponent is beating himself! thus the UE/W ratio is less effective a stat

Talent
09-24-2005, 05:55 PM
for more "pop" on your volleys, make sure to move forewards. also, make sure to have a continental grip, which is sometimes hard for western grippers to get to.

as to the UE part of your game, you might want to have someone help you chart a match. find out if you're winning games because you're hitting winners, or because you're forcing errors, or because your opponent is making UEs. you can have tons of UEs, no winners, and still win if your opponent is beating himself! thus the UE/W ratio is less effective a stat

Thanks for the tip on volleys. I think that tip will help me get to the core of the problem of the lack of strength in my vollies. When I first used the western grip and switched to continental when attacking the net, the transition was very rough. I can switch more smoothly now, but it still seems unnatural, which probably plays another part in my lack of prowess at the net.

The hitting partner I had today had a counterpuncher game, and hitting to his backhand and keeping him moving really forced him to make a bunch of UEs today, basically taking away his bread and butter.

Making a chart sounds like a good idea. I'll have someone do that for me when I spar with fellow players in my area.

Thanks for your tips, golden chicken, and nice to meet you, hope to continue to see you around.

Marius_Hancu
09-24-2005, 06:00 PM
you might want to check the Sticky thread at the top of this forum, there's lots of stuff there for someone willing to improve themselves

Talent
09-24-2005, 06:24 PM
you might want to check the Sticky thread at the top of this forum, there's lots of stuff there for someone willing to improve themselves

Thanks for the heads up, Marius. Browsing the forums from the outside, I'm under the impression that you are Mr. Information. I saw the thread before, but I never really looked in it until now. Lots of good stuff for sure, but why would Safin's forehand volley and Blake's backhand be good examples to follow? Blake's bh has always been a weakness, and even as he has improved it, it still is hard on the eyes to watch. Compared to Safin's ground game, Safin's net game is very mechanical and it looks forced.

Talent
09-30-2005, 08:00 AM

Keeping in mind these tips have really shown improvement in my vollies. I feel much more adept and natural at the net. I also figured that it requires immense focus to be successful at net.

mark1
09-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Thats impressive to have improved as much as you have in only four years at such a young age. Im only a 4.0 player but i think that i can offer some advice, particularly on volleys and consistency. For me, improving my volleys was a result of me not being scared anymore to move "through" the ball and hit with conviction on either a neutral or sitter type of return. Its very important to have good footwork at net and always be moving forward through the ball. What is also very crucial is that in a set with your opponent, if you are aggressive on your first few volleys and put them away with conviction, your opponent begins to feel pressure to hit "perfect" passsing shots which translates into more errors and more points for you.

For consistency and UE's i think that it depends on the level that you play at as far as your strategy. For example, at my level here in Louisiana, I am able to be effective by being aggressive on short balls and the like, but mainly by not hitting very many UE. I can do this because my footspeed and ability to hit decent shots while being on the defensive can force the opponent to go for too much and start missing shots. Once this happens, one of two things USUALLY occurs. They either swing for winners on all of their shots and UE themselves to a loss. Or they begin to just try to get all of their shots in and thats when i use my forehand to attack and attack the net and put the pressure on them. Bottom line is at a a young age players who are consistent usually enjoy the most success. If you can work to be a consistent player first, then learn to attack later, your win loss record will definately improve.