PDA

View Full Version : Help about my strokes and some questions

RogerFan
09-24-2005, 08:17 PM
Firts of all, I started to play tennis a year ago, I really don't know what kind of level I am, maybe between 1.5 or 2.0 But I'm looking foward to play next year some league tourments in 3.0 level.

I couldn't take any tennis classes yet, so all that I know is from reading this forum and some others sites, and watching lot of tennis of matches that I recorded on DVD.

nickybol
09-25-2005, 02:37 AM
Sorry I`m not familair with the American rating system so I can only comment your video. If you only played a year of tennis, it looks pretty good. Make sure you have a stable stance on your groundstrokes, your feet wide apart, and try to keep your back foot on the ground. On the serve, remember to execute a good shoulder over should rotation.

RogerFan
09-25-2005, 04:42 AM
... try to keep your back foot on the ground.

Yeah, you're right, the first time I got a clip of my strokes(6 months ago) I notice that. It was really ugly to see I was hitting every forehand standing on my left foot only.
I've been trying to avoid this, but it's still there.

Thanks for the advice

golden chicken
09-25-2005, 11:19 AM
your back foot coming off the ground is ok. i have some kids who let their back foot come all the way around and that's a no-no.

all in all, not bad for a year and a half self-taught, you look like you could be a good 3.5/4.0 if all those balls landed "in"

sometimes on high balls you tend to hit forehands off the back foot, or while falling backwards. try not to do that. also try not to hit late or too early (i saw this a couple times)

your one-handed backhand grip looks continental to me. try to go more eastern and bend your knees! swing like your whole arm is a pendulum, then relax. your first backhand is better than the second. remember you have to get yourself in position prefectly every time to take the ball in your strike zone

your toss depth is a little erratic. the first one is like straight up. if you had let it fall, it would've landed on the "baseline." the second and third ones are much better. see how you launch yourself into the court more? otherwise, not bad at all!

nickybol
09-25-2005, 11:32 AM
golden chicken, don`t you agree with me that tennis is a sport of balance, and he doesn`t have the balance on one leg.It`s both legs on the ground at the contact point or both legs off, not 1 leg on.

RogerFan
09-25-2005, 11:33 AM
thanks golden chicken

your one-handed backhand grip looks continental to me. try to go more eastern and bend your knees! swing like your whole arm is a pendulum, then relax. your first backhand is better than the second. remember you have to get yourself in position prefectly every time to take the ball in your strike zone

I changed to one-handed since I started to play with the Tour 90, I noticed since I left my double handed backhand I don't have pain in the lower back the next day. Lately I've been using eastern grip for my backhand, but some times I don't have enough time to make the proper change, maybe I need some practice.

What do you think about changing to a tweener? It would help me to improve my strokes?

nickybol
09-25-2005, 11:51 AM
If you have pain in your lower back you could do some conditioning for your lower back, to improve muscular instabilities between your abs and lower back.

golden chicken
09-25-2005, 11:59 AM
golden chicken, don`t you agree with me that tennis is a sport of balance, and he doesn`t have the balance on one leg.It`s both legs on the ground at the contact point or both legs off, not 1 leg on.

true to an extent. he is hitting with a modern forehand, which requires torso rotation which begins with a loading and then unloading of that back(right) foot. he's actually not really loading that back foot. he's kind of throwing his hip out and getting torso and shoulder rotation from that.

agreed, it will help him to push off more with that back foot, instead of just hipping it, and that will keep the back foot down longer, but the way he does it now is not unbalanced.

RogerFan, i think you need to bend your front knee too on both groundstrokes. this will really help you load your leg muscles and you won't have to use your back as much to generate power.

nevermind what racket others are using. if yours feels comfortable, then stay with it. take this from someone who's done the demo thing, done the "buy it, try it, sell it" extended demo thing, and who has done the "oh, crap i broke a string in the middle of a match, can i borrow your crappy $20 dollar backup racket?" AND WON... when you have proper strokes, it doesn't matter as much what the racket is, except for timing and power level.

do you know what rackets are in my bag? three tt warrior OS's L4 with 63 lbs laserfibre supreme, and two wilson ps tour 90s L5 with 54 lbs sensation and 3 grams of lead. big difference, eh? one 107 si, 27.5 in. 11.5 oz the other 90si 27 in. 12.5 oz? but i hit just about the same with either.

RogerFan
09-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Well, I haven't done any exercise for abdominals or lower back muscle in years, so that could be the reason, but also I'm thinking ahead I don't see myself with 45 hitting double handed backhands, or do you think is possible to hit consitent double handed backhands over 40 or 50?

golden chicken
09-25-2005, 12:24 PM
sure you can, you just have to use a "push-off" with your legs to initiate your body rotation, rather than sliding your hip out and then using your core muscles to create body rotation

RogerFan
09-25-2005, 05:39 PM
So golden chicken do you think with those strokes and serve I could play 3.0 level leagues next year?

golden chicken
09-26-2005, 03:47 AM
i think you could play 3.0 now