PDA

View Full Version : Top Spin Serve

jackabee
09-25-2005, 02:12 AM
Hi,

I am 14 and about 5' 7" and I hit a flat, fast power first serve but I want a top spin serve for my second serve. I have been attempting to make the ball bounce as high as I can when I practise but it doesn't seem to bounce more than 1.25 metres off the ground. How can I make it bounce really high?

Thanks,

J

jeefreak
09-25-2005, 02:09 PM
add more top spin - faster racquet head speed (maybe even more so than your 1st serve). i always had that problem when i first started learning kick serves. since i wasn't confident in it, my racquet head speed was slow and caused low bouncing balls.

Marius_Hancu
09-25-2005, 03:00 PM
check Kick Serve in the Sticky thread at the top of this forum
it should help

Clayplay
09-27-2005, 03:01 AM
try not to let the ball toss drop, hit the ball on the rise. toss the ball a bit further to your left(if you're righthanded) and defenently brush up on the ball. a good leg drive is also required.

Tennismastery
09-27-2005, 04:27 AM
try not to let the ball toss drop, hit the ball on the rise. toss the ball a bit further to your left(if you're righthanded) and defenently brush up on the ball. a good leg drive is also required.

A low ball toss, or one that is on its way up, has been shown to prevent topspin on serves. Other than Braden, most pros teach a higher ball toss to a) prevent rushing the service motion since the ball is trying to be hit sooner; b) a ball dropping will add to a topspin rotation on any serve; c) A higher toss will help a player remain more sideways and keeping the hitting elbow back slightly to get the racquet face up the back of the ball instead of pronating too early. (Which is what the problem of the original poster was...good flat serve, no spin.)

All the other advice from this post is good: don't let the toss get too low, toss a bit more behind you, (or toss forward and lean in with your front shoulder...don't chase the ball by facing the net!) and leg extension into the serve can help.

The biggest tip will be to stay sideways and try to create a racquet path that is more parallel with the baseline as it approaches contact as well as one that is up and to the right more for right handers. It is this racquet path alone that will produce a topspin or hybrid topspin/slice serve that you will need for an effective and consistent first or second serve.

Don't forget too, that all big servers hit with a lot of spin. At 150+ mph, Roddick's serve would NOT go in without some spin. John Yandell did an excellent study on ball rotation on first and second serves. The pros all hit with a lot of spin even on first serves.

Marius_Hancu
09-27-2005, 05:23 AM
b) a ball dropping will add to a topspin rotation on any serve

Correct.

This is also presented at the easitennis.com
site. The reason they mention is that the ball falling from higher up
will produce, having a higher vertical speed while dropping, more
friction against the strings of the racket, which at that time is
pretty vertical itself, thus you have this |o (sorry for the
simplified representation) type of contact between the two objects,
where | is the racket and o is the ball. They call this a "shearing"
effect, which produces topspin on the ball.

KingBugsy
09-27-2005, 07:27 AM
I would also try "hitting the ball straight up into the sky". In other words think about hitting "up", make sure your racket stroke flows upward topward the sky. Think UP! Althought this may seem weird, what you will be doing is creating topspin which wil bring the ball back down into the court. Concentrate on trying to hit the ball up into the sky.... remember to still move forward and into the court with your body. Practice this until you get the "feel" for the stroke. BTW, remeber to watch the ball until your racket has made contact. Don't drop your head.