PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Dent's "monkey" right leg up serve protects his back

09-25-2005, 06:57 AM
Taylor Dent changed his serve to the new "monkey" right leg up serve last year.

He and his coach said they switched to this to protect his ailing back.

How does this motion protect your back?

How do we injure our back from serve any way?

Marius_Hancu
09-25-2005, 08:26 AM
where did you find the reference on what he/coach said?
(URL?)

overextension is the usual problem
(arching your back)
he might have reduced that by contributing to his rotation/movement with the right leg

the main effect I feel is in helping with the contraction of the obliques and the abs

09-25-2005, 10:02 AM
If you look at his serve slow motion carefully, you will notice he hits the ball, THEN pull his thigh up/ step over.

I think by swinging his right hip over, there is no stretch/ or less stretch on the erector spinae muscle on the small back. The right posterior superior iliac spine is pointing in the same direction of the right shoulder.

So, the entire right shoulder/ back/ small back are relaxed in this motion.

Versus the common serve motion, in which the one would be stretching the erector spinae muscle for sure.

Marius_Hancu
09-25-2005, 10:49 AM
If you look at his serve slow motion carefully, you will notice he hits the ball, THEN pull his thigh up/ step over.

For the sake of discussion, I just checked 10 distinct clips of Taylor at tennisplayer.net (in slow motion and frozen).

At the time of contact, that motion is well on its way, his right knee is much higher than for other current players.

It's true however that the raise of the knee is at its max during the final part of the pronation, after the contact, but not much higher than at impact.

I am using this motion in a modified form, but not all the time. In a modified form, because I am starting it earlier than Taylor, to help me extend upwards, turn and "cover" the ball via the contraction of the obliques/abs and to advance faster to the net, if I am going there. I am not using it at all to save my back.

But others might using it otherwise.