PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather hit out or hit the net?

Talent
09-25-2005, 08:01 AM
For an unforced error, would you rather have your ball sail out or hit the tape?

My vote undoubtedly goes to having my ball go out. I would go down swinging, who's with me?

Thanks for your attention to this thread,
Ralph

Breaker
09-25-2005, 08:27 AM
Hitting the ball out. if you hit into the net you start questioning your mechanics and might try too hard NOT to hit into the net on the next point. Which will probably lead to tightening up and hitting even more balls into the net.

All Court
09-25-2005, 08:42 AM
I'd hit it long. There's a slight chance they might count it in, and at least it probably means you have better mechanics. It's easier to adjust back to getting the ball in from than repeatedly hitting into the net.

Rackethead
09-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Depends how far out, and how deep into the net. I'd rather hit a foot long than a foot below the net, but rather hit the tape then hit 3' long.

Rickson
09-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Neither! This was a stupid question.

Ash Doyle
09-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Neither! This was a stupid question.

I agree with Rickson. Whether you're hitting the net or hitting long it's still an error, and also possibly bad mechanics. Bad mechanics that result in hitting long or hitting the net are equally bad. I'd rather calm down my shots and keep the ball in, rather than lose due to my own errors.

golden chicken
09-25-2005, 10:49 AM
my coach always said she'd rather have us miss long than miss in the net. she said this because she was trying to get us to hit with depth (and i think if you're playing a net-rusher, give him a chance to volley a ball that's going long)

theace21
09-25-2005, 10:52 AM
You want to always minimize your errors into the net, but I don't know anyone that plays balls that are going out (at least from the baseline) - maybe a real beginner.

equinox
09-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Always better to hit long than into the net.

All Court
09-25-2005, 11:00 AM
I meant the balls that land just barely long. Very small chance, but hey, it doesn't happen when you hit it into the net.

As for "I wouldn't want to hit out in the first place", nobody does. But you're usually less frustrated when it lands long, or if that doesn't matter to you, at least the problem is almost always easier to fix and adjust back into your normal game. Just answer the guy's question.

ucd_ace
09-25-2005, 11:50 AM
I'd rather hit the ball long than in the net. Since I hit with a lot of top spin, I always want to make sure I give myself good net clearance and let the spin bring the ball back down to the court. If the ball is going in the net, then I'm missing my shots by a lot more than wehn they're going in the net.

Of course, whenever I hit the ball out, I don't rejoice in the fact that it went long instead of in the net; either way, I'm pretty ****ed off.

joe sch
09-25-2005, 03:44 PM
Dumb question, if your attempts dont go over the net, you have no chance of winning the point ! Also, if your hitting deep, they will start going in later once you find the range. The Bryan Bros have one of the best warmups for serving, they call it hitting missiles and they just launch them for the fences until they are warmed up then they start to go for aces.

SageOfDeath
09-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Of course long. Hitting into the net means the point is just done you didn't get enough net clearence.

However if you hit a shot that would go long and your opponent is at the net, maybe they'll hit a volley anyway. Or if your shot is a very close call your opponent might call it in if they weren't sure.

But honestly like rickson said, neither are good!

GrahamIsSuper
09-25-2005, 09:52 PM
I'd rather hit into the net then long...I hit with a lot of depth/heigth/topspin and most of my shots land perilously close to the baseline, causing me to grit my teeth during matches. Volleys though, because of my stone-like hands, generally go long, so of course i'd rather miss shallow.

dakels
09-25-2005, 10:20 PM
IMO it's always better to hit a little long then the net. Even if for the simple reason that by hitting a little long you at least start to find your range and can make accurate corrections for that with net clearance and spin. Netting a shot doesn't give you as much feedback other then you hit too low. Regardless though when you get to a certain level of understanding, you know what your shots are going to do and where they will go almost immediately when it comes off the racquet.

Personally, for my forehand game, netting is a straight disaster as I always am aiming 2-3 feet above the net with heavy spin. I rarely hit the net on forehands but I will sail long and usually know that my spin was not correct or too flat. Backhand is a bit flatter for me and netting is a bit more common and forgivable as my average trajectory over the net is only about 1 foot. Same for slices which I keep under a foot clearance over the net.

Oh as for hitting tape, 4/5 tape shots for me go over with my heavy topspin but you said hit the net or sail long indicating a point loss either way. I'd rather sail long to find my range.

x Southpaw x
09-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Definitely out rather than net... if it was a game there's a chance my dumb opponent might volley the ball. If it was a rally, even if it was out, I can still volley it back to continue the rally. Net is only good if the ball actually crosses the net for a drop shot.

ironchef21
09-27-2005, 04:55 PM
For serves I feel "better" if they go long than if they go into the net because it's easier for me to adjust. If I'm serving into the net that usually means my legs are gone.

Tim Tennis
09-27-2005, 05:03 PM
Never hit the ball into the net, especially if you have a good topspin forehand and are in a ground stroke rally, major choke. Never hit a good topspin serve into the net, major choke, especially if it is a second serve. If you have a good topspin backhand you should never hit the ball into the net. You should never hit a drop shot into the net, at least make your opponet play it. Ocassionally you might hit a few into the net if you are trying to create angles or are hitting a slice backhand but even them it is better to miss it wide or float it deep. Best advice you can give is "If you are going to miss it, miss it deep." This teaches people to go with their shots, not to be tenative, not to choke.

You got to love the game.

kabob
09-27-2005, 05:09 PM
What kind of a question is this? I hate to do either!

Clearly, it's best to hit wide 'cause you can smoke a cigarette while waiting for your opponent to retrieve the badly hit shot you knocked away from the court.

glass
09-27-2005, 07:27 PM
I always go fro my strokes and I'd say 90% of my unforced errors are from hitting it into the net. That's what happens when you hit the ball as flat as Jimmy Connors.

Barricade_steve
09-27-2005, 07:32 PM
i would certinly rather miss long than nett the ball. soem players unknowingly will play balls that are out. if you nett the point is totaly over.

dakels
09-27-2005, 07:40 PM
i would certinly rather miss long than nett the ball. soem players unknowingly will play balls that are out. if you nett the point is totaly over.
Thats another good point about hitting out rather then net. Its just a bit more running for your opponent which never hurts in a match.

tennismx
09-27-2005, 07:43 PM
aw man can i change my poll answer?
i said net, but i'd rather hit it long, better chance the opponent won't see it behind them, or they'll go for it anyways, and i'll get the point!

Muse
09-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Out. My opponent can either volley it and help me out or it could be really close and he'd call it in. Just more chances to win the point. Nothing happens if you hit it into the bottom of the net.