PDA

View Full Version : Bowflex or Total Gym

George
05-17-2004, 11:56 PM
Anybody uses the Bowflex or Total Gym for tennis fitness training?

chad shaver
05-18-2004, 10:45 AM
I use a Bowflex, and think it's probably the smartest thing I ever did for myself. What would you like to know?

orange223
05-18-2004, 10:51 AM
I use a total gym for the compactness and price ($250). I do a toning workout a few times a week (more in the winter) in addition to rollerblading, power walking, treadmill and biking. Holler if you have any questions on the Total Gym.

George
05-18-2004, 11:06 AM
Which model do you have?
From what I have read on the web, some have complained about the
longevity of the unit. How do you find the quality?
It is much less than the Bowflex, and fits in my basement better
than the Bowflex, these are 2 positives and is probably better for cardio. Do you do specific exercises for tennis?

Thanks for your help.

orange223
05-18-2004, 11:20 AM
I have had mine for about 3.5 years and it is a base model (as indicated by the price). The quality is okay and I have used mine pretty heavily. The book that comes with it has 60 exercises and some designated for tennis. I try to rotate my exercises every quarter or so to keep the variety going.

My main reasoning for buying it was price, compactness and ease of use and convenience. I did free weights for years and got tired of clanking ice-cold weights in the garage at 5AM. This fits nicely in my downstairs office (i.e.-warm carpet!), no setting-up or taking down.

I love getting my workout done each day before work (I alternate the Total Gym with a Bolleterri video while treadmilling w/ankle weights). In the evenings if I bike or rollerblade or do street hockey, it is icing on the cake.

George
05-18-2004, 12:26 PM
Orange223,

Sounds like you live a great life, way to go.
What Bollettieri video(s) do you have?, I have a few of his
tapes myself.

I suppose you have the 1000 or the 1500 model.
Did you find it took for you awhile to get used to doing the exercises on the Total Gym?
Was it awkward to start with?

Thanks for your feedback.

orange223
05-19-2004, 08:59 AM
I think I have the 1500, anyway, it is the $250 model. It was a bit awkward the first day or two. But I really like it in the fact that it is quiet and inside my office at home where I can do it at 5AM while the family is still asleep.

I have the Serve, Forehand, and the Backhand videos. My treadmill is a $99 manual version I picked up at K-mart. I feel it is a better workout using a manual treadmill, especially with ankle weights varying the walk speed every 30 seconds or so.

George
05-19-2004, 09:13 AM
Orange223,

Thanks for your reply.
I have those videos too. I also have "Tenacious Net Play"
It is one of the better ones and it is 60 minutes.

What brand is your manual treadmill?

orange223
05-19-2004, 09:39 AM
Some type of off brand. The electronics (speed, time, distance, calories) never worked from day-1. But the fact that it folds up out of the way (heavy as all get out!) and is manual (therefore more resistance) is okay by me and the spouse. I put it right in front of the TV and watch 20-30 minutes of Nick give his dissertations and get a solid morning workout before work. Check out some stores for an inexpensive manual one.

rich180
05-19-2004, 09:59 AM
been using the total gym for 3 years now. I'm 6'3" & 200 lbs and could not see using the $200 model. bought what they called a refurbished model for $800 which is similar to what the infomercial promotes now. refurbished means someone tried it and sent it back. it appeared brand new. use it morning & night because I have the space to keep it out all the time. move between full body, and upper & lower body routines. only thing missing from these types (bowflex, Weider & TG) is true aerobic work out that you get from the tread or ellipitical trainers. the one rap I have is that the cables went on me once and were replaced free, now they are showing wear again and wonder if TG will honor another replacement -- bowflex supposedly offers lifetime guarantee on parts

simi
08-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Anybody uses the Bowflex or Total Gym for tennis fitness training?

Very old thread, but wanted to give an update on our Bowflex, in case anyone else is contemplating a purchase.

This past weekend, my wife and I returned our Bowflex to Costco for a full refund. They have a great refund policy. Basically, return anytime, no questions asked. We had the machine for a hair over two years and were not satisfied with it.

Two major "problems" and numerous minor ones.

1. The machine tips over when attaching the power rods, especially the 50 pound rods. For those who don't know, you pull the rods away from the machine to attach the cable. With the stronger weighted rods, the machine has a tendancy to tip in the direction that the rod is pulled.

2. There is not enough weight resistance for leg exercises. We had the maximum available and I could have used an extra 150-200 pounds for the calf raise and squat exercises.

I regret the day I gave up my gym membership. By now, I should know that no general purpose, all-in-one machine will approach the effiency of a single-purpose machine.

We are on the lookout for another general purpose home gym, but are in no hurry to get another.

BiGGieStuFF
08-14-2006, 02:47 PM
Very old thread, but wanted to give an update on our Bowflex, in case anyone else is contemplating a purchase.

This past weekend, my wife and I returned our Bowflex to Costco for a full refund. They have a great refund policy. Basically, return anytime, no questions asked. We had the machine for a hair over two years and were not satisfied with it.

Two major "problems" and numerous minor ones.

1. The machine tips over when attaching the power rods, especially the 50 pound rods. For those who don't know, you pull the rods away from the machine to attach the cable. With the stronger weighted rods, the machine has a tendancy to tip in the direction that the rod is pulled.

2. There is not enough weight resistance for leg exercises. We had the maximum available and I could have used an extra 150-200 pounds for the calf raise and squat exercises.

I regret the day I gave up my gym membership. By now, I should know that no general purpose, all-in-one machine will approach the effiency of a single-purpose machine.

We are on the lookout for another general purpose home gym, but are in no hurry to get another.

Thanks for the update. I was contemplating one of these machines but was afraid that my laziness would set in and I would think of it as a shortcut to working out and might skip the gym too much.

simi
08-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the update. I was contemplating one of these machines but was afraid that my laziness would set in and I would think of it as a shortcut to working out and might skip the gym too much.

My wife doesn't like going to a gym. I've found that just about all middle-aged women do not like the experience. For me, I loved going. I could really get a good workout and the weight limit was not there. Single-purpose machines will always be better than a multi-purpose home gym.

As a result of my gym membership, I did purchase a rowing machine that was the same model that the gyms have. Also, a lower cost cycling machine by the same manufacturer as they gym machines.

However, I will never be able to duplicate the weight machines in a home gym. Keep your gym membership, if you have one. It is expensive to drop a membership, and then have to get a new one. The prices seem to always go up . . . a lot.