PDA

View Full Version : how to i increase my swing speed??

aye5882
09-25-2005, 07:56 PM
hey all. i recently hit w/ someone better than me (he could've actually made my college tennis team) and noticed that the main difference between me and him was the amount of swing speed he had on his shots, which translates to more power. my question is: how do i go about increasing my swing speed?? alot of people say that federer has tremendous swing speed and i would like to know i can also achieve. are there any particular weight lifting exercises i could do... ie side laterals, butterfly press, etc? or do i just have to hit as much as possible and develop them naturally??

FYI: i'm skinny (5'7" 120lbs) and i have the fischer pro 1 strung @ ~57lbs. before, my shots were mostly arm and they were loopy but now i'm using more hips and they've become more flat but faster.

thanks for any input!!

Rickson
09-26-2005, 05:11 AM
I am a former powerlifter and can swing for the fences all day; that's the problem, my balls would go to the fence. Power is good, but if you can't control the power, it's useless. I don't swing as hard as I could, but I have enough power to get a good rally going. Controlled power is the key, not just a fast swing because anyone can hit the fence with a fast swing, but not anyone can hit the baseline with a fast swing. Remember, controlled power.

Marius_Hancu
09-26-2005, 05:16 AM
it would help you to get a subscription to easitennis.com where this issue is discussed in quite a detail.

Marius_Hancu
09-26-2005, 05:18 AM
check

Acceleration at contact (observations on Sampras's running FH)
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=42851

Thanatos
09-26-2005, 05:40 AM
I am a former powerlifter and can swing for the fences all day; that's the problem, my balls would go to the fence. Power is good, but if you can't control the power, it's useless. I don't swing as hard as I could, but I have enough power to get a good rally going. Controlled power is the key, not just a fast swing because anyone can hit the fence with a fast swing, but not anyone can hit the baseline with a fast swing. Remember, controlled power.

Rickson is correct. Anyone can hit a ball hard, but not a lot of people can controll the ball. Make sure that you can make clean contact with the ball. Meaning the ball must hit the sweet spot of your racket. Once the ball hits he sweet spot, you will be able to controll the ball better and generate pace.

If you can not make clean contact with the ball right now, then I would reccommend decreasing your racket head speed until you consistently hit the sweet spot. Then maybe you can experiment with a longer take back to increase your racket head speed. The key to generating power is TIMMING and CLEAN CONTACT for any stroke (volley, serves, and groundstrokes).

Marius_Hancu
09-26-2005, 06:38 AM
the image you have to replicate during your swing is:

SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW ALIGN ACCELERATE ALIGN CONTACT

too many amateurs accelerate from the beginning of their takebacks like a windmill:-)

Camilio Pascual
09-26-2005, 06:52 AM
my question is: how do i go about increasing my swing speed??
...but now i'm using more hips and they've become more flat but faster.

Very simple to answer your question:
Use a SW if you are using an Eastern FH and use a full Western if you are using a SW or Eastern FH. Because of the increased topspin, you will be able to swing faster with a more closed racquet face.
Get a racquet with a lower swingweight.

From what you say later in your post, I'm not sure you really asked the question you wanted answered.

tom-selleck
09-26-2005, 06:53 AM
the image you have to replicate during your swing is:

SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW ALIGN ACCELERATE ALIGN CONTACT

too many amateurs accelerate from the beginning of their takebacks like a windmill:-)

i agree.... i really notice that phenomenon in golf too. if i swing hard from the top, the balls goes pretty far, but basically all over the place. if swing easily from the top, but EXPLODE THRU IMPACT, the ball goes further and much, much more accurately. it's really the leg drive/trunk rotation which are key to racquet speed.... i agree though with others that you need the speed with control.

specficially to exercises, i think work on your legs and cores (abs, obliques, etc.) will have great effect. too many people just work chest, arms, shoulders.

Dimethyl Sulfoxide
09-26-2005, 06:57 AM
Anyone can swing hard but you have to catch the ball at the right angle of the racquet and in the right swing path, which is much more challenging. You also want a smooth acceleration with loose arms. Basically it should be an effortless and not a forced motion.

Marius_Hancu
09-26-2005, 07:06 AM
check Federer here and see that he accelerates on the last 1-2 feet of the swing (mind you, this is all in slow-motion, but check the relative speeds)

Federer's FH (high-speed camera clip):
http://www.araf72.dsl.pipex.com/1000FPS.mpg