PDA

View Full Version : shots you never see anymore???

tom-selleck
09-26-2005, 08:50 AM
have been thinking about two shots you barely ever see anymore, or at least they used to be much more prominent.

1) swinging volley. guy i think of is ivan lendl. was canada-belarus yesterday and saw mirnyi butcher one on a key point (got broken on that point or slightly thereafter).

2) what was that shot when a young agassi used to get a short ball and hit it so hard with topspin that it looked like the ball was deformed.. maybe roddick hits this, but it just looked more impressive in the day.

3) not as sure about this one, but do guy hit serves out really, really wide anymore??? or is that just asking for trouble with the new racquets of the returner. i do know federer has the low MPH ace out wide.

any other shots you don't see anymore.

i'm wondering if with racquet technology, it's more like some of the shots just look very different.

Rickson
09-26-2005, 10:15 AM
You don't see the topspin lob very often these days and it has everything to do with modern racquets. Modern racquets make it much easier to send powerful passing shots by the net player than in the days of the woodies.

nickybol
09-26-2005, 10:16 AM
The swinging-volley is becoming and more populair, especially under female pros.

erik-the-red
09-26-2005, 01:15 PM
You pretty much never see the improvised volleys performed by S&V-ers anymore.

There's this [improvised] shot done by good volleyers (viz. Rafter, Sampras, Henman, to my memory) in which they respond to a jam return with this "weight forward racquet cut" shot. You know what I mean when you watch them handle this situation.

You don't ever see half-volleys done Sampras style anymore.

donnyz89
09-26-2005, 01:16 PM
swinging volley isnt leaving...

tom-selleck
09-26-2005, 01:24 PM
You pretty much never see the improvised volleys performed by S&V-ers anymore.

There's this [improvised] shot done by good volleyers (viz. Rafter, Sampras, Henman, to my memory) in which they respond to a jam return with this "weight forward racquet cut" shot. You know what I mean when you watch them handle this situation.

You don't ever see half-volleys done Sampras style anymore.

do you mean last second put away dying volley??? like a winning impromptu volley from a very defensive position.

strikes me alot of shots don't get seen much anymore cause of new rackets and how hard people hit the ball.

joe sch
09-26-2005, 02:36 PM
Hard flat drives with very little topspin and trajectory.
All the players hit with soo much topspin that flat drives which slide rather than bounce and just not seen anymore. I bet many will either respond claiming that kind of shot does not exist or would be useless today, neither being true.

Yours!05
09-26-2005, 02:49 PM
1) swinging volley. guy i think of is ivan lendl. was canada-belarus yesterday and saw mirnyi butcher one on a key point (got broken on that point or slightly thereafter).nickybol The swinging-volley is becoming and more populair, especially under female pros.donnyz89 swinging volley isnt leaving...Unfortunately. If you enjoy ridiculous errors, plenty to see from this shot.

All Court
09-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Swinging volleys are plentiful. Especially in the women's game, since many just don't want to hit an overhead. They can't be called old at all.

And topspin lobs aren't because of the modern racquets, it's just because if it isn't disguised perfectly and landing right near the baseline...the pros are going to anticipate, react, and put it away with a single overhead (the men, at least). So unless you're very, very confident, it's a low percentage shot for success.

The serves very wide aren't that rare. Ginepri has a nice one on his first serve way out wide. And as you said, Federer can hit the spot pretty nicely as well.

There aren't really any huge shots that have disappeared. If anything, people are adding.

nViATi
09-26-2005, 03:25 PM
nickybol donnyz89 Unfortunately. If you enjoy ridiculous errors, plenty to see from this shot.
not neccesarily. my friend has a massive swinging volley. almost as effective as his smash. AND it's very consistent.
just because one shot isn't good for you doesn't mean that no one else can do it

GrahamIsSuper
09-26-2005, 05:12 PM
The middlehand volley. (i guess you could say an improvised volley right in front of the body, i prefer saying 'middlehand')

erik-the-red
09-26-2005, 05:59 PM
I believe GrahamIsSuper and I are taking about the same volley.

It's where the volleyer gets jammed by the return and has to kind of cut the ball with a backhand volley while simulataneously shifting his weight forward, right?