PDA

View Full Version : How do you do a forehand slice?

ExHiLaToR
09-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Anyone have a series of pictures or a video of the proper racquet swing and grip in order to do this?

eagle
09-26-2005, 10:47 AM
Don't have pix but this is how I do it: Same forward motion and swing path as the one handed backhand slice but with continental grip.

r,
eagle

cadfael_tex
09-26-2005, 10:52 AM
Here's how I was taught to:
1. prepare as for a flat forehand - butt of racquet toward ball straight back.
2. Bring the racquet arm up - the amount depending on how much slice.
3. Drive forward throught the ball with high to low swing - finishing up with follow through to racquet head pointing toward the target.

Mountainman
09-26-2005, 10:56 AM
After examining the kinetics of human muscles of the shoulder, arm, and wrist, I could not explain why the resistance of the back-hand rotation is higher than the forehand rotation. Therefore, the backhand slice is easier to hit.

Rickson
09-26-2005, 11:49 AM
Put the racquet in a vertical position with no backswing. Hit under the ball, but not too far under or you'll pop it up. Use the slice forehand for short shots because the backspin and short distance will provide a perfect drop shot with a very low bounce.

Maledizione
09-26-2005, 11:50 AM
For me, the forehand slice was more intuitive. I had an effective forehand slice for a couple of months before my slice backhand started to show up.

Koaske
09-26-2005, 12:05 PM
http://tennis.about.com/od/forehandbackhand/a/fhslicevid.htm
Here's a video if it helps any. The ball he hits is pretty high though.

Return_Ace
09-26-2005, 12:09 PM
For me, the forehand slice was more intuitive. I had an effective forehand slice for a couple of months before my slice backhand started to show up.

you sound like me -.-' sure you haven't stolen my game???

iLuveKetchup
09-26-2005, 06:49 PM
No offense to you Koaske. But, what in the world is that guy in the video doing??? Was that an overhead??? LOL That looked very spastic!! Man, I dont think I ever hit a ball like that (or would want to).

Marius_Hancu
09-26-2005, 07:04 PM
No offense to you Koaske. But, what in the world is that guy in the video doing??? Was that an overhead??? LOL That looked very spastic!! Man, I dont think I ever hit a ball like that (or would want to).

No, it IS a FH slice:-)

well, not a la Federer when rushed off the corner, but still ...

kabob
09-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Put the racquet in a vertical position with no backswing. Hit under the ball, but not too far under or you'll pop it up. Use the slice forehand for short shots because the backspin and short distance will provide a perfect drop shot with a very low bounce.
You don't want to hit under the ball, that's a common misconception. 90% of the time, you'll pop up the ball doing that or hit into an easy sitter for your opponent. eagle has the right idea; you aim for the back of the ball and hit through, just like a backhand slice. The motion of your swing determines the trajectory and spin of the ball.

ShooterMcMarco
09-26-2005, 09:38 PM
you can use an eastern forehand grip to forehand slice as well.

SageOfDeath
09-26-2005, 09:49 PM
you can use an eastern forehand grip to forehand slice as well.

That's what I always thought but I tried and for some reason eastern forehand seems too open, but that makes no sense to me since its an eastern forehand continental would be more open..... I dont know....

ShooterMcMarco
09-26-2005, 10:19 PM
if i'm on the dead run, its a lot easier for me to use the continental than the eastern. so i guess for me, its situational.

dakels
09-26-2005, 10:26 PM
This is a horrible example :p

A forehand slice is more of a forehand swing to the side of your body and not an overhead motion like the guy in the video is doing. A forehand slice is not unlike a forehand volley but with more of a follow through depending on how much you want to cut the ball.

Rickson
09-27-2005, 04:12 AM
You don't want to hit under the ball, that's a common misconception. 90% of the time, you'll pop up the ball doing that or hit into an easy sitter for your opponent. eagle has the right idea; you aim for the back of the ball and hit through, just like a backhand slice. The motion of your swing determines the trajectory and spin of the ball.
Listen shishkabob, I clearly said not too far under or you'll pop it up. My forehand slices don't pop up.

Koaske
09-27-2005, 04:51 AM

A forehand slice is more of a forehand swing to the side of your body and not an overhead motion like the guy in the video is doing. A forehand slice is not unlike a forehand volley but with more of a follow through depending on how much you want to cut the ball.

I know it's horrible, but at least it's a video and I couldn't find better :D

akj27
09-27-2005, 05:59 AM
ask angelo

dakels
09-27-2005, 09:40 AM
I know it's horrible, but at least it's a video and I couldn't find better :D

Good example though of guys on local courts who have developed mediocre to bad strokes and play them well. Just because it's a bad stroke does not mean it's not effective. It's a major thing to decide early when teaching adults. Patch a not so good stroke, or break it down completely and rebuild.

kabob
09-27-2005, 03:12 PM
Listen shishkabob, I clearly said not too far under or you'll pop it up. My forehand slices don't pop up.
Thanks, and I clearly understood what you said. :p Nonetheless, you do not aim for the underside of the ball, at all. What I described works for most people and is what any coach or tennis pro will teach you (and how I was taught).

ExHiLaToR
09-27-2005, 03:23 PM

good tip, I tried this today and it works but I think I will concentrate more on developing my backhand slice.

Maledizione
09-27-2005, 04:42 PM
I agree with kabob about aiming for the back of the ball and not under it.
That's how I do my forehand driving slice. I use a continental grip and the racquet face is a bit open. I aim for the back of the ball and drive through and cut at the sametime.
The most important thing for me is stepping into the slice. The slice is ineffective if I don't do that. (Talking under optimum conditions, not when pulled out wide...)

For a drop shot, my racquet face is a bit more open and I still drive through but not as much as the driving slice and the downward motion is more than the driving slice.
I also add sidespin to it by cutting downward and to the left.

Rickson
09-27-2005, 05:34 PM
I guess I described my motion incorrectly. What I should have said was, hit from high to low and the followthrough should be under the ball.

liionel
09-27-2005, 05:49 PM
omg that video looked as though he was using an axe instead to chop the ball.