PDA

View Full Version : Pronate conciously?

chapufo1
09-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Do you guys pronate consciously on topspin serves? I mean I know its natural to pronate on the flat serve with a continental grip but I find it hard to hit topspin serves with the continental unless I force the pronation.

All Court
09-26-2005, 08:50 PM
Unconsciously produces the largest racquet head speed, when you're mind isn't processing and slowing it down naturally.

But you have to go through it consciously first to make it a habit. Conscious competence (consciously performing the right procedures) leads to unconscious competence in time.

So just keep hitting the serves. You'll get used to it after a while.

alan-n
09-26-2005, 11:53 PM
The more relaxed, loose, and whippy your entire arm AND grip on the racquet is... the faster, relax and let it whip all the way through the ball.

Tennismastery
09-27-2005, 04:15 AM
Do you guys pronate consciously on topspin serves? I mean I know its natural to pronate on the flat serve with a continental grip but I find it hard to hit topspin serves with the continental unless I force the pronation.

In my experience, pronation almost always comes naturally when a player swings harder AFTER they have developed the swing action that creates proper spin. In thirty years of teaching, I've never had to intentionally use the word pronation. And, in watching pros who do intentionally try to get players to pronate tend to make these players pronate too early causing everything from right handed players to swing from right to left, to those who can't hit spin serves since they bring the racquet flush to the ball too early.

If a player learns to 'brush' the ball with intended spin, it is a natural phenomenon in most cases that pronation will happen as soon as the player swings with greater attempted force.

The one exception to this rule are when players swing only with their arm, usually leading with the elbow pulling down.

To test this, we have players serve from their knees. If the player serves and hits the ground, they are swinging with their arm. If they are allowing the racquet to come through ahead of their arm, (pronating) they will see they are serving with the right arm mechanics. (Do this on grass at first otherwise you will see them break their racquets on their first attempt if they are doing it wrong!)