PDA

View Full Version : any tennis in Boston?

sixtwo
05-18-2004, 01:57 PM
I am going to move from a Houston suburb to work in Boston. I am used to play about three times a week on very nice community courts for free. My sense is that this habit will be harder to keep and more expensive.

Where should I live (to make tennis playing easier) and what kind of court time can I find? Are there leagues in Boston? Is it easy to find public courts, school courts, and clubs? Is there a link to find players in Boston?

Do people in Boston play tennis?

Thanks,

Sixtwo

Phil
05-18-2004, 09:20 PM
Do people in Boston play tennis?

Surely they must, some of them at least...check out the Boston (not the Sacramento) YELLOW PAGES under "Tennis Clubs"-there, you'll find a listing of...tennis clubs. Call some of them. Ask them if they sponsor league play. Look on the USTA site under the section in which Boston is located (that would be the New England section). Read it. Contact the local USTA rep. Do a GOOGLE search for "Boston Tennis" or even Tennis in Boston. Then, when all is said and done, go play. It ain't difficult.

Camilio Pascual
05-19-2004, 04:59 AM
Check out colleges and universities in the area. If you look like you belong on a campus, you won't have any trouble playing on those courts. And drive around and look at every high school. I've got a map of my city where I've marked down tennis court locations. They are almost all aligned north to south, really easy to spot in aerial pictures, many of them are near swimming pools or in parks. Seek and ye shall find.

sixtwo
05-19-2004, 08:35 AM
I would love to have a map of tennis courts in Boston and surounding areas. How can I find one?

Camilio Pascual
05-19-2004, 01:20 PM
Make one. Drive around and check out high schools, universities, colleges, city parks, country clubs, party condos, swimming pools, snooty downtown sports clubs, whatever. Look at aerial photos, courts are pretty easy to spot and they are usually in the richer parts of town. Then buy one of those Street Guides for your city, they are usually 40 - 100 pages so you have clear, large scale maps. I use a code - blue = indoor, green = outdoor hard, red = red or green clay. So, a red 4 means there are 4 clay courts. Or, you could have 4C mean the same thing. I mark the pages that have courts and mark the index. Simple. Which gives me an idea... Anybody have a biplane I can borrow?

perfmode
05-19-2004, 06:37 PM
I live in Boston and I play tennis. I'm too tired to type but if you want more info, ask me.

TNE_Admin
12-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Its the premier tennis league in Metro Boston.
http://www.tennisnortheast.com/

If you want location of outdoor courts and tennis clubs:
http://www.tennisnortheast.com/directions.htm

-Steve Chagnon
TNE Admin