PDA

View Full Version : Are Lefties The Same as Righties

LefthandTennis
09-26-2005, 10:35 PM
im having a hard time playing the same form as my friends, im wondering if it has anything to do with me being lefthanded

Rumjungle
09-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Are you lefty trying to play righty? If not, then there's no inherent advantage to playing righty. You do all the same things, just on the other side.

Clayplay
09-27-2005, 01:43 AM
ive heard that if you're a lefty, you can create more topspin than a righthander. and righthanders feel awkward when playing lefties because the ball is coming from a different angle. So you are the one who actually has the advantage :)

misterg
09-27-2005, 02:09 AM
The big advantage of the lefthanders is the serve. The lefthanders serves all "the big points" from the add court to the backhand of their righty opponents. Another advantage of being left is that the majority of the (righty) people are not used to play a lefty meanhvile the leftyes are used to play a righty, and when a lefty plays a lefty they are even...

PM_
09-27-2005, 09:42 AM
im having a hard time playing the same form as my friends, im wondering if it has anything to do with me being lefthanded

Welcome to the elite world of being left-handed.
You and I are among the minority that right-handers are not used to facing.
Take advantage of your serves (especially the slice from the ad court to his backhand) and all your spins on court.
You'll hear from right-handers' feedback that everything you hit has a strange bounce/spin and they are not accustomed to.
Also incur as many crosscourt rallies from your forehand to his backhand as you can. (most players' weakest shots are their backhands)
Just being left-handed gives you the slight edge alone.

kabob
09-27-2005, 03:30 PM
I think it was Cliff Drysdale that mentioned that lefties seem to get more lean into the court on their serves which translates into a heavy slice. I've played lefty 4.5 players that did that and it really sucks to chase a return outside of the doubles alley :lol:

Aeropro joe
09-27-2005, 03:37 PM
i am lefty and people have told me that i am harder to hit against, but i use a lot of spin variations that make it hard to adjust and my slice goes the opposite way as a righties so that throws em off but always remember that they slice will go in the direction of the racket head i.e. if a righty is doing a backhand slice it will go from the receiving righties backhand to forehand and if it is a forehand slice viceversa and a lefties forehand slice is the same as a righties backhand slice and a lefties backhand slice is the same as a righties forehand slice wow thats a lotta rights and lefts so hope i didnt confuse ya but next time u go out and hit just watch which way the slice goes it follows the racket head.....:)

Rumjungle
09-27-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm lefty as well. I recently switched about 5 months ago. What do you mean when you say that you have trouble "playing the same form as your friends"?

Prince_of_Tennis
09-27-2005, 04:06 PM
ive heard that if you're a lefty, you can create more topspin than a righthander. and righthanders feel awkward when playing lefties because the ball is coming from a different angle. So you are the one who actually has the advantage :)

You don't create "more". It is jus a spin that people aren't use to.

rod99
09-27-2005, 06:34 PM
i play tennis left handed but do most everything else right handed (like nadal). unlike most lefties i have a better kick serve than i do a slice serve. the slice serve has never been real natural for me.

snowpuppy
09-27-2005, 10:45 PM

I believe you are talking about the learning curve. Yes it can be tough if your friends are righty and is trying to teach you. I have a righty friend that was trying to teach me badminton that just gave up. The point is not to copy the motion exactly and change it to lefty in your mind but to sense to reasoning behind it like why is it hit like that. In a way you have to do more thinking and observation as to what works for you. All this shouldn't be too hard just remember not to aim to be a left handed version of your friend.

cervelo
10-10-2005, 07:48 AM
I've had the advantage of playing righty for many years and then switching to lefty.

As a lefty, the court "seems" different to me. And for no reason I can explain, I feel like the short angles are more "hittable."

It's very likely that any "usual" point has certain patterns that are characteristic to right-handers, mainly because most people are righty.

Being lefty breaks up that usual rhthym and tendencies and creates different opportunities for lefties - the key is developing strengths to make good on those chances.

Jonnyf
10-10-2005, 10:32 AM
im a lefty too. The serve is our biggest advantage