PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else addicted to W grip?

PM_
09-27-2005, 09:48 AM
This grip is sick for me. I love to impart topspin every chance I get and eventhough I know changing it up with some flat is benificial I won't ever.
But i cannot be the only one...

PM_
09-27-2005, 12:53 PM
lol why did i bother :(

liionel
09-27-2005, 05:44 PM
w grip is cool. but too tiring on my wrist. i prefer sw. :D and yeah, brushing up the ball is always fun! hahaha..

Skppr05
09-28-2005, 06:23 PM
I got addicted to it at some point too until I faced hard hitting payers who's specialty was flat. I only use W when the ball is really mid, high, or lacking pace.

kabob
09-28-2005, 07:56 PM
Don't be a one grip wonder, dude. I switch grips through the whole range when hitting a forehand from an eastern grip for low, driving shots, the semi-western for most any midrange shot to a full western for high shots and standard ones that require extra spin. Remember, every grip has its weakness, better that you can cover for them with a grip change.

nViATi
09-28-2005, 10:59 PM
yep. i just went from sw to just a bit past sw today. it's great. i get better depth (i can swing faster without fear of hitting the ball out) and i have just enough topspin so i can try to go for a winner when i need to without taking too much of a risk. the weird thing is that i like hitting low balls with it in a closed stance with it.

TennsDog
09-30-2005, 12:23 PM
I guess one could say I am addicted to the western grip. I have tried to switch to SW for my body's sake, but I just can't do it. I don't have the time to take missing a lot of shots trying to get the timing and adjustments down for changing grips. I like western for the ability to hit a very heavy ball with pace and spin. I don't really see any weakness in it, as I am relatively flatten out shots using the western grip and I can easily get topspin on knee-level balls. I just lose control when I go less extreme.

PM_
09-30-2005, 12:28 PM
I guess one could say I am addicted to the western grip. I have tried to switch to SW for my body's sake, but I just can't do it. I don't have the time to take missing a lot of shots trying to get the timing and adjustments down for changing grips. I like western for the ability to hit a very heavy ball with pace and spin. I don't really see any weakness in it, as I am relatively flatten out shots using the western grip and I can easily get topspin on knee-level balls. I just lose control when I go less extreme.

Same here bro. I can't be bothered to experiment around changing grips anymore either. I hit every ball with a lot of heavy top too and if I have to hit flat I won't change grips anyway.
Talk about ignorance on my part! :mrgreen:

Mr.Federer
09-30-2005, 02:17 PM
I prefer SW because it's more "flexible" and easier to transition to forehand to backhand with the SW grip rather than the whole western grip.

The_Dark_Knight
10-01-2005, 06:13 PM
western grips are like cocaine, very addicting, but so bad for you. Plus semi-westerns are so much cheaper, lol (oh that thread)

alan-n
10-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Once you play higher level players... Those balls that sit up with top spin will become cream puff put aways, after all higher bouncing balls opens up more angles for flat winners down into the court. It also gives the opponent a slit second more time to run down or set up their shots.

Its not the grip, its the variety of shots that you can produce with it. Tennis strokes are way to complex to credit everything due to grip, your swing path arm rotation, wrist rotation etc..... Serving is another matter.