PDA

View Full Version : So how good is (was) Roy Jones Jr. ?

atatu
05-18-2004, 02:51 PM
I think this is tennis related, given that the USTA has been using him in their tennis welcome center ads...Anyway, I'm not a boxing fan, but I've always heard that pound for pound, he's one of the best fighters ever. Now he loses one fight, and people are saying he was never that good, he picked his opponents, etc. What gives ? And if he moves up to the Heavyweight ranks and beats Tyson or Klitschko will his legacy be saved ?

Camilio Pascual
05-19-2004, 03:41 AM
He has parleyed a career of being hooked at the Olympics, the resultant sympathy, and fighting and beating patsies into some kind of illusion he is one of the greats. It just t'aint so. Tyson, in shape, will not let him get to the 8th round. I'll be betting on it. Also, I believe that fight was his 2nd loss.

atatu
05-19-2004, 06:29 AM
Yeah, well I think his first loss was a DQ because he punched some guy who was on a knee. In a rematch he knocked the guy out in the first round.

norcal
05-19-2004, 08:36 AM
I think he is making a mistake by not fighting Tarver again. If he avenges that loss his image is not tarnished much. He fought the best in three weight classes; it's not his fault there weren't too many compelling oponents. His beating heavys is just a reflection on how bad the heavys are.

Camilio, I will take your bet. Jones will run and Tyson will bite!

Kevin Patrick
05-19-2004, 11:51 AM
Criticizing Roy Jones' career because he never had a "great rival" is like doing the same to Pete Sampras. He is/was clearly the best fighter of his generation. And those of you who think Tyson could take Roy probably haven't seen him fight since 1989. Tyson's skills have deteriorated tremendously, nobody who really knows the sport would consider him even a top 10 heavyweight. Roy could beat many heavyweights(partly because of how poor the division is) but definitely couldn't beat Klitschko(especially if he can be knocked out by Tarver)

redpurusha
05-25-2004, 05:56 AM
I'm not to surprised Roy Jones lost recently. There are several reasons which probably contributed to this. 1. he's getting old and coming down from his prime. 2. he was going up in weight class to heavy, thus putting on extra (out of norm) pounds, then having to lose weight to fight tarver -this must have a negative effect on a fighter. 3. after beating up all his opponents easily for years, it's easy to get lazy. 4. finally, all it takes in one good punch and no matter who you are, you're out. I didn't see the fight but the first ended in a controversial decision for Jones, and the second with Tarver punching him out. Tarver is good enough to beat him (the better boxer) at this point of Jones' career.

Tennis king Sampras finally lost in Wimbeldon to Federer (the next king in line), so this could be Tarver's turn to dominate the light heavy division. It's worth repeating every athlete has an ascension, prime, and descension in his performance.