PDA

View Full Version : Kick serve

Grigollif1
09-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Hey guys,

I'm really working on my top spin second serve and I have received mixed information about it. When I hit the kick serve now, I usually toss behind my head and usually hit on the clock from 8 to 2 on the clock so you could say that I hit pretty much on the side of the ball , I do get a nice kick on the ball with some side spin. But, I read on a few magazines and some people told me that to get the real top spin serve I should hit from 6 to 12 on the clock which means totally from under the ball to the top...is it even possible to hit like that? wouldn't the racquet always turns side ways a little bite on the contact with the ball?? I don't think I ever saw a player that doesn't hit the kick serve with some side spin on it, even the Pros....

liionel
09-27-2005, 06:43 PM
i usually thought it was from 7 to 1 ?

SageOfDeath
09-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Hey guys,

I'm really working on my top spin second serve and I have received mixed information about it. When I hit the kick serve now, I usually toss behind my head and usually hit on the clock from 8 to 2 on the clock so you could say that I hit pretty much on the side of the ball , I do get a nice kick on the ball with some side spin. But, I read on a few magazines and some people told me that to get the real top spin serve I should hit from 6 to 12 on the clock which means totally from under the ball to the top...is it even possible to hit like that? wouldn't the racquet always turns side ways a little bite on the contact with the ball?? I don't think I ever saw a player that doesn't hit the kick serve with some side spin on it, even the Pros....

If you are hitting 8 to 2 you are hitting a twist serve, as long as you get the desired effect you want its fine. You might notice it bounes high to the right but curves left while in the air.

Topspin is a relative term, it might have a bit of sidespin so you can't exactly call it pure topspin. Hitting 6 to 12 to me seems hard so I go for 7 and 1.

rod99
09-27-2005, 07:22 PM
i brush the string against the side of the ball when i hit both a kick serve and a slice serve. the difference is that on a slice serve i follow through underneath my right arm (as i'm left handed) but on a kick serve i follow through straight down instead of across my body.

Marius_Hancu
09-28-2005, 03:57 AM
check my posting Kick Serve
in the Sticky thread at the top of this forum

spirit
09-29-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm trying to develop this top spin kick serve. I've been getting it to bounce higher off the court than my other serves, but not enough to really bother an opponent much. It doesn't bounce up quickly enough nor high enough yet.

papa
09-29-2005, 05:45 PM
I'm trying to develop this top spin kick serve. I've been getting it to bounce higher off the court than my other serves, but not enough to really bother an opponent much. It doesn't bounce up quickly enough nor high enough yet.

The only way to get any height on the bounce is to hit the serve high - basically the only way.