PDA

View Full Version : validity of 2 players on baseline?

randomname
09-27-2005, 05:44 PM
im gonna start this off by saying im by no means a doubles player but tend to end up playing doubles anyway, generally when im having a good day i can hold my own at the net but on a bad day or where the other team just picks on me with heavy shots, I like to back up to the baseline and just play from there. generally whoever I'm playing with complains about it but I also dont dump shots in the net or just deflect them. so anyway, my question is, is both players being on the baseline completely stupid or are there situations where it works well?

JackD
09-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Its a good defensive position...Getting players side by side in doubles is a good thing, where one up and one back opens gaps in the court coverage and a good net player should be able to pick that apart. If you partner has a strong serve I wouldn't suggest playing two back as you are probably missing opportunities to put away weak returns.(which could **** off a partner) But if your more comfortable staying back when he is returning no problem at all and probably will keep you in points longer against a big server. Still look to move in together when you have the chance but two back can be very effective.

SageOfDeath
09-27-2005, 06:26 PM
If the other team is in a two up postion and you are in a one up and one back, bring the net player back.

imagine if they hit right to your net player, how is he going to pass two people up at the net? That's what I think anyways, but try to bring one of their players back immeadietly when you can.

andysmojo
09-28-2005, 08:49 AM
I play the net on the first serve and come back to the baseline on the second serve. It is hard to get advantage at the net if the second serve is weak. Chip and charge at the right time is a good tactic for one of the players to get to the net.

Return_Ace
09-28-2005, 09:06 AM
Its a good defensive position...Getting players side by side in doubles is a good thing, where one up and one back opens gaps in the court coverage and a good net player should be able to pick that apart. If you partner has a strong serve I wouldn't suggest playing two back as you are probably missing opportunities to put away weak returns.(which could **** off a partner) But if your more comfortable staying back when he is returning no problem at all and probably will keep you in points longer against a big server. Still look to move in together when you have the chance but two back can be very effective.

I agree with Jack, an example from recently, my club (with me) was playing the best club in the county, so we had a doubles match and i was at the net to start with, i found that they're level of play was high enough not to give me wasy balls and they found a way to pass/lob/avoid me. So realising this, me and my partner decided that we'd both stay back, in the end we managed to over power them with his bh out wide and my inside out fh ^^ we'd come to the net when we'd see fit to set up the point. it does give you a strong defensive position, however the drawback is that groundstrokes will suffer a bit if they are both at the net.

Camilio Pascual
09-28-2005, 09:40 AM
...I like to back up to the baseline and just play from there.
generally whoever I'm playing with complains about it but I also dont dump shots in the net or just deflect them.
so anyway, my question is, is both players being on the baseline completely stupid or are there situations where it works well?

I like to play from the baseline, too.
You need to discuss strategy with your partner BEFORE the match and not make it up as you go along.
Yes, it can work quite well. I like to flip the conventional doubles strategy of attacking the weaker player by using TS lobs to attack the better (net) player and chase him back to the baseline. Often, (at 3.0 - 4.0 level) the player will start staying back there and now you are facing 1 up-1 back with the weaker net player up.

RKS12
09-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Its not that unusual and used by ATP dubs players occasionally. I use it against a strong server paired with a strong vollyer. Drop back 2 on their first serve. Often you can survive the first return exchange and gradually even up the point or take advantage. As soon as you lob over there head or can close, Close!

Tennis Ball Hitter
09-29-2005, 08:28 AM
sometimes I think it would be better off if me and my usual partner play back ... especially when he is serving. But he refuses that tactic and I normally get lined up by the returner on my partners dinky second serve.