PDA

View Full Version : Switching forehand, and backhand grip durring points

Will888
09-28-2005, 01:15 PM
hey, I've been having this problom with my grip when I play out a point and I have to go hitting a forehand to a backhand very quickly, I sometimes (more often right now) have trouble switching my grips and end up hitting my forehand with a backhand grip after I just hit a backhand, or the opposite. So it seems that I get stuck sometimes not being able to switch from forehand to backhand in the correct position to hit the ball. What should I do to reduce that?

GrahamIsSuper
09-28-2005, 01:25 PM
You should practice against a wall, first. This will make your reaction time quicker, as well as grooving your strokes. Just make sure you dont over hit.

Marius_Hancu
09-28-2005, 01:25 PM
you're probably not using your 2nd hand to support your racket

when turning your shoulder / doing unit turn, your left hand should help to change grips

do dry shadow/dry land exercises with no balls until this gets automatic

Will888
09-28-2005, 01:27 PM
oooo, so i should use my left hand alot more to switch the racquet and put it in the right grip instead of just using my right. Thanks Marius for the help! :D

Rickson
09-28-2005, 04:06 PM
oooo, so i should use my left hand alot more to switch the racquet and put it in the right grip instead of just using my right. Thanks Marius for the help! :D
What? Don't tell me you're one of those guys who holds the racquet in one hand the whole time! My left hand always goes on the throat after every hit. That way, I can switch grips very easily during my takeback.

Marius_Hancu
09-29-2005, 07:16 AM
What? Don't tell me you're one of those guys who holds the racquet in one hand the whole time!

I had this concern too:-)

gscone
09-29-2005, 08:03 AM
What? Don't tell me you're one of those guys who holds the racquet in one hand the whole time! My left hand always goes on the throat after every hit. That way, I can switch grips very easily during my takeback.

Same here...More so. U claim to be a 4.5/ 5.0 player. I dont think a player at this level should have an issue with your problem. :?: :?:

Geezer Guy
09-29-2005, 09:25 AM
Will, If you're playing at the net, you should keep the same grip ALL the time. You can hit your forehand, backhand, and overhead ALL using the contenintal grip. If you're playing at the baseline, grab the racquet by the throat with your left hand every time you split-step. Then, as you split step, adjust your grip with your right to the appropriate grip for whatever shot you want to hit.