PDA

View Full Version : Pain on the inside of the elbow

chapufo1
09-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Hi, I'm just wondering if its normal to feel pain on the inside of the elbow, not the outside, after practicing serving. I try to get the "whip lash" motion by relaxing my arm so it kind of acts like a whip and in the end "snaps". But I feel alot of pain after a while and makes me wonder if I've been doing the lash motion wrong. I actually almost feel it in the bicep too. Thx.

Marius_Hancu
09-29-2005, 02:39 AM
this is golfer's elbow.
don't let the ball drop too much on you.
check that your arm is fully extended at time of contact.
thow the ball more in front of you, use your legs more, you're probably "arming" the ball.

search articles I published on this and related threads.

also, check for Elbow Pain in my signature here:

Marius_Hancu
09-29-2005, 02:40 AM
also, which racket, strings, tension?

chapufo1
09-29-2005, 04:49 AM
Flex point radical, 57 or 59 i dont remember and babolat strings that roddick uses apparently(I had no interest in what kind of strings because my friend strung it for a cheap price)

Marius_Hancu
09-29-2005, 04:59 AM
Flex point radical, 57 or 59 i dont remember and babolat strings that roddick uses apparently(I had no interest in what kind of strings because my friend strung it for a cheap price)

well, DO get interested in that, because harsh strings can ruin your elbow. recommend multis, not polys.

on the racket:
not too stiff, but perhaps not enough head light:
Balance: 2pts Head Light
for what you're trying to do on the serve

is this a new racket for you? if so, it might have contributed
try to compare with other rackets more headlight and see how your arm responds, before making some technical changes as indicated in the above

but now you might need some rest

work on your arm/shoulder conditioning too; check the links in my signature:

Fatmike
09-29-2005, 05:13 AM
happens to me too when I play for 5-6 days in a row....

Marius_Hancu
09-29-2005, 05:24 AM
check in the Sticky, my posting on
Serve Power and Placement
esp the thread on
Serve it up article - wrist snap on serve again
there's a v. good posting by Bungalo Bill there

spirit
09-29-2005, 11:57 AM
I got this the other night after playing a couple of sets of tennis against a younger hard hitter. I was trying to put something extra on my serve, and I switched from my usual racquet strung with a natural gut/multi hybrid to my backup strung with TNT fat core.

When I got done with the two sets (lost the first at 4-6, but won the second at 6-1) I had this pain on the inside of my elbow at the boney part. I knew it wasn't tennis elbow as I had that years ago and it was excruciating painful. This pain is more mild (it is still with me), but I want to try to ensure that it doesn't get worse, so I appreciate the information from Marius.

Marius_Hancu
09-29-2005, 12:03 PM
I got this the other night after playing a couple of sets of tennis against a younger hard hitter. I was trying to put something extra on my serve, and I switched from my usual racquet strung with a natural gut/multi hybrid to my backup strung with TNT fat core.

When I got done with the two sets (lost the first at 4-6, but won the second at 6-1) I had this pain on the inside of my elbow at the boney part. I knew it wasn't tennis elbow as I had that years ago and it was excruciating painful. This pain is more mild (it is still with me), but I want to try to ensure that it doesn't get worse, so I appreciate the information from Marius.

this is pretty much GE (Golfer's Elbow).
one gets it on FHs and serves.

check my recent story in:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=69972

vin
09-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Hi, I'm just wondering if its normal to feel pain on the inside of the elbow, not the outside, after practicing serving. I try to get the "whip lash" motion by relaxing my arm so it kind of acts like a whip and in the end "snaps". But I feel alot of pain after a while and makes me wonder if I've been doing the lash motion wrong. I actually almost feel it in the bicep too. Thx.

Does it only hurt from serves? Nothing else bothers it?

Get a tennis ball and put it between your forearm and a wall and move it up and down with a good amount of pressure so that it's rubbing the muscle just underneath the outside bone of your forearm. If you find a tender spot in between your elbow and hand, you just found the problem! Do this a few times a day for a few days and it will likely be much better.

Mr.Federer
10-01-2005, 07:26 AM
Marius Hancu are you a teenager?