PDA

View Full Version : eh whats wrong with my serve?

dannyjjang
09-29-2005, 05:29 AM
http://s7.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3DXNWM453GWRQ2PQ1GF38X96M2

MY Friends are urging me that my serving form is unusal, when their serves are really slow..my serve percentage is kind low about 35%, just started tennis for 3 month, improving rapidly. If there really is something unusual about my serving form, please free feel to give an opinion.~!!!! play it in quicktime. im Korean 5'9 11th grade 177lb(kinda chubbie but can out run people) uses Flexpoint! radical tour midplus, i use semi western for serves, and for my groundstrokes, gamma zo life tension 60, and its HOT to play tennis in californian weather...!!!

REPLI LOTS!

dannyjjang
09-29-2005, 05:30 AM
http://s7.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1YQN6C2JZRRWO0XVXSOG3RMWI7

dannyjjang
09-29-2005, 05:32 AM
how do u play the movie slower?

nViATi
09-29-2005, 06:03 AM
learn to serve with a continental grip

Marius_Hancu
09-29-2005, 06:11 AM
you have a bit of athleticism there

but many things are wrong:
- too far from the line
- Eastern or even S-Western grip, get to Continental or Eastern BH
- your left arm should tuck in close to the abs when attacking the ball for more power
- falling out of balance to the left after the shot, instead of advancing into the direction of the shot

read my posting
Serve Power and Placement
in the Sticky at the top of this forum
and see the clips there

supersmash
09-29-2005, 06:11 AM
I think you might have a Roddick thing going on there. And it looks as if you're about to fall. Take your time, spread your legs so that you have a firm balance. Oh, and as nViATi said, USE CONTINENAL.

SageOfDeath
09-29-2005, 06:12 AM
the link works but for some reason it can't play, it opens us my quicktime and it just doesn't do anything....

dannyjjang
09-29-2005, 08:29 AM
the link works but for some reason it can't play, it opens us my quicktime and it just doesn't do anything....

try geting vlc, go to google and type VLC or i think its www.videolan.org/vlc

Marius_Hancu
09-29-2005, 08:46 AM
just added this in my posting in the Sticky:

Good writeup (with flash clips and pics) on the serve
http://www.cwtennis.com/virtual/theserve.html
http://www.cwtennis.com/prostrokes.cfm#
(click on The Serve, both Flash and Non-Flash)

FiveO
09-29-2005, 09:05 AM
The bad news is you have many issues going on in your motion like Marius and others have suggested. The good news is most of them can be corrected in a fairly short time. Try these three corrections first. These alone will take some time to become second nature to you:

1) starting stance. Treat the starting stance as a basketball player treats free throws. Move up to the baseline. Start close to the the line with your feet and body positioned exactly the same way each serve. You should be within an inch of the baseline with the toes of your left foot pointed either at the the right net post or to the right of it. Its the only stroke in tennis that your opponent can't rush or force you off balance. Take your time. Do it right and the same way each time. It also can become a player's most devastating weapon. Build it that way.

2) adopt a serving grip. Continental or eastern bh. I personally favor the continental. Depending on whose definition of eastern bh you choose, the more extreme the more of a bear it can become to switch to. Again its my personal belief that whichever grip you choose, stick with one for both first and second serves.

3) the toss. I believe in the KISS principle. As you drop your toss arm your left palm is down facing the court surface. That position will require you to rotate your palm skyward to release your toss. You're just injecting another mechanical act to perform into an already complex motion. I'd get rid of it. Either keep the palm aligned so that all you have to do is lift the arm to achieve a palm up release point or hold the ball like a tall glass of water keeping the hand in that position, without spilling it, up to the release point. Keep It Simple.

Start with these fixes first. They're enough to occupy your serve practice time for a couple months. Master these changes and post a new vid.

Also in the next video you post try to keep the full height of the tossed ball in the frame.

Good luck.

shindemac
09-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Your serve would be considered unorthodox today, but not wrong. Like someone said, you have a serving motion like Roddick which is uncommon, but you can't argue with his results. But there are still lots you can fix. Change your grip to continental. Stop using frying pan and learn to pronate. Contact the ball at maximum height and extension. Look how low you contact, and your elbow is still a little bent at contact.

Your toss arm looks strange too but if it works for you... Keep your toss arm straight when going up ie. don't bend at the elbow. Place the ball on the edge of your finger tips, and don't release the ball. Just let the momemtum lift the ball up. On your knee bend, you go down-up-and-down as you shift your back leg. Extra movements.

cadfael_tex
09-29-2005, 10:33 AM
What they said. Get a grip (continental) and don't spin in the middle of your motion. I think a lot of your problem stems from your toss. When I isolated point of contact I noticed two things. You're gator arming (which will drive the ball up and long) - by that I mean your arm is bent at contact. I also noticed you are hitting at the top of the hitting area of the strings. Smooth out your toss as Five0 suggested and get it up a little more.

dannyjjang
09-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Thank YOU FOR THE POSTING GUYS i will try to do as what you guys say
and will upload my serving video again if there is any change, THANK YOU SO MUCH

TennsDog
09-30-2005, 11:10 AM
That looks like an overall good serve for someone only playing for 3 months. I would probably say your grip and balance are your biggest limiting factors at this point.

SageOfDeath
09-30-2005, 09:48 PM
I think you could afford to stand closer to the baseline, use continental grip, and try hitting at full extension.

I hope we aren't flooding you with too much advice.

Mr.Federer
10-01-2005, 07:12 AM
Use a continental grip.

dannyjjang
10-03-2005, 03:07 PM
hmm i tried, like the sampras video, and when i do make it, its faster more reliable and more powerful, but kinda hard of bending my legs to maxium level and hiting it. But i wil TRy TODAI!!!1

dannyjjang
10-04-2005, 08:14 AM
do i lay my feet parallel to the baseline or my leg in the front of the baseline?

lolsmash
10-04-2005, 03:36 PM
infront of the baseline is footfault. Keep them behind the baseline, left foot infront of the right foot shoulderlength apart. Point left foot at right net post and keep right foot parallel to the baseline. You do not have to bend your knees as much as Sampras. You just have to bend your knees until you feel its unnatural to go lower.

rilokiley
10-04-2005, 06:50 PM
looks like everyone already covered pretty much everything. but know this--serve is probably the most complicated motion in any sports as it requires all your body parts to coordinate (like your arm, legs, torso...plus you have to keep your eyes on the ball, you have to jump, etc) don't get discouraged if you don't see any improvement right away. good luck!

dannyjjang
10-05-2005, 09:14 AM
alr1111111111ght imma go tennis todai, busy highschooler, prepare for sat, study community service!! i will post when my serve come closer of perfection...last time when i was playing tennis i saw these old men playing about 44 big belly, but there serves are man...very strong, he was playing against a college guy and beat him, he throws the ball switches his arm during the ball is in the air, boosts his left leg and with spin BAM!, never seen a serve like that..as a 2nd serve...crazi crazi

Marius_Hancu
10-05-2005, 12:41 PM
hmm i tried, like the sampras video, and when i do make it, its faster more reliable and more powerful, but kinda hard of bending my legs to maxium level and hiting it. But i wil TRy TODAI!!!1

in order to bend seriously lower, make sure you're on your toes only (check Tim Henman), it allows you much more mobility, when dropping down.