PDA

View Full Version : Speedminton?

NoBadMojo
05-18-2004, 07:52 PM
Hi there. Has anyone every played Speedminton? I ordered the gear. It seems like it might be alot of fun..you can play anywhere including on a tennis court. it's cheap and seems really fast like batminton and squash. Anyone playing it out here in tennisland? comments? Ed

Coda
05-18-2004, 08:36 PM
never heard of it, but since it includes a racket, I'm in.

Deuce
05-18-2004, 09:29 PM
Sounds like one of these crazy new sports 'ideas' which are created primarily so that young people can call something their own - like beach volleyball and 'extreme sports'.

All I know is that if I see anyone using tennis courts for this when I want to play tennis, one way or another, they're getting off.

Phil
05-18-2004, 09:33 PM
All I know is that if I see anyone using tennis courts for this when I want to play tennis, one way or another, they're getting off.

Uhh Ohh, Doose is one scary tough guy...watch out!

@wright
05-18-2004, 09:36 PM
"one way or another, they're getting off"

I'll thank you to keep your sex life off these boards, very inappropriate.

Deuce
05-19-2004, 12:08 AM
I apologize to readers, as I seem to have two young children following me around the boards of late. Children do have a natural gravitation toward me, so this is understandable. The behavior of these two, however, seems to betray more negative elements than positive.

Where are parents when they're needed?

Camilio Pascual
05-19-2004, 04:51 AM
Deuce - To be fair, don't you think we should look into what this speedminton game is first, before making a decision about it? And shouldn't the people who have authority over the court(s) in question be contacted, since administration and enforcement should not be left up to you or us in an uncertain situation? Your post reminded me of one you wrote a long time ago about duffers on the courts. I seem to remember that they should give way to you and other superior players. If this memory of mine is faulty or unfair to you, please feel free to correct me about that old post of yours. Having said that, I have kicked rollerbladers and soccer players off tennis courts when it was determined they were not allowed there. If speedminton is banned by the people in charge, then I support you completely. Take care. - Camilio

Deuce
05-19-2004, 09:18 PM
Camilio...

Since the courts were built for TENNIS, then tennis should by all means have priority. If someone wishes to invent a new game, they have no right to invade areas that are meant for other games/sports. I don't need some outside 'authority' (who are usually political people who know next to nothing about the main element involved - in this case, tennis) - I don't require an outside authority to determine right and wrong. I possess a judgment of my own - which my history shows is fair - and I firmly believe it is best to use it, rather than defer to others who are less knowledgeable than I on a given subject or issue.

I, too, have ridded tennis courts of hockey players, bike riders, and skateboarders. I do not need anyone else to 'determine' that they are not to be there - that determination was made long ago, when the TENNIS courts were built.

As for my feeling that 'superior players' deserve the courts more than lesser players - no, I never said or wrote that. While I admit to a certain frustration at being made to wait while people are playing in such a way that the ball never traverses the net more than two times successively, these people have the right to be on the court. As long as they're playing (or making an honest attempt to play) Tennis. What I do not tolerate is people who talk and/or socialize for 55 minutes out of the hour, and play for only 5 minutes out of the 60. I also don't tolerate those who may have tennis racquets and balls, but who play games which, other than the equipment, have no relation to tennis (often a game they make up on the spot, and often disturbing tennis players on other courts). If they want to do this, they can get some chalk to draw any sort of lines they wish on any free pavement space, and add a net if they so choose, at whatever height they wish.

The way I see it, a tennis court has one purpose: to play tennis on it. This should be respected. The net and lines are arranged in a certain manner, and with dimensions which are exclusive to the sport of tennis. Therefore, those who wish to play tennis - at any level - on these TENNIS courts must be given absolute priority over all else.

NoBadMojo
05-19-2004, 09:29 PM
yea but has anyone ever played speedminton?????? ed

Phil
05-19-2004, 10:12 PM
Since the courts were built for TENNIS, then tennis should by all means have priority. If someone wishes to invent a new game, they have no right to invade areas that are meant for other games/sports. I don't need some outside 'authority' (who are usually political people who know next to nothing about the main element involved - in this case, tennis) - I don't require an outside authority to determine right and wrong. I possess a judgment of my own - which my history shows is fair - and I firmly believe it is best to use it, rather than defer to others who are less knowledgeable than I on a given subject or issue.

People who legitimately reserve a court for an hour have the right to talk for 55 minutes, if that's their idea of "tennis". Most DON'T, though. Again, Deuce, I suggest that you STEP BACK and actually READ, out loud, the drivel that you churn out. Sorry to break it to you, but You are not the Voice behind the Burning Bush. You sound like a Chump, TRYING to play the arrogant know-it-all. This is the blathering of a LITTLE MAN. Is that what you want us to think you are? I vaguely remember the post that Camilio refered to, and let's just say, as I said back THEN, your behavior wouldn't be tolerated on MY courts.

Deuce
05-20-2004, 02:14 AM
As is shown not only by the always predictable content of your 'replies' to my posts, nor by your perpetually weak 'arguments', but also by the sheer number, you consistently search for an angle with which you can disagree with me - because you can then somehow 'justify' (to yourself) typing insults to go along with your 'disagreement'. At least half of your 'disagreements' with me are thus phony - they exist solely to provide you with a forum from within which you can spew your juvenile insults and general garbage, which seems to give you some illusionary sense of 'self-worth'.

There's no substance to your stuff, Phil. You're like David Letterman & John McEnroe - your act has been dead for a long time. But you go on. And on and on and on and on... always with the same tired, phony act.

Get some new material. Find a new act. You're not nearly as entertaining as you believe yourself to be. Someone should have told your mom on you a long while ago.

Phil
05-20-2004, 02:26 AM
L-I-T-T-L-E M-A-N. Just as I thought, as if confirmation is needed.

Camilio Pascual
05-20-2004, 04:24 AM
Deuce - Maybe I remembered your post a little wrong, I thought you had said they should make way for serious tennis players. I'll take your word for it you did not say that. I'm not talking about an outside authority, but the people who do have authority over a given court, such as a Parks Department or High School Administration. Like it or not, the taxpayers who pay the bills have delegated the authority to these people, not us tennis players. I have no problem with people trying to develop an interesting, athletic game on a tennis court. One successful example would be mini-tennis. If people are regularly goofing around and wasting the courts' usefulness, believe me, I would have no problem in following through on a complaint.

NoBadMojo
05-20-2004, 07:39 AM
well i am gonna play speedminton on a t court and just pray there arent any tennis police in the area when we do. :) the funniest thing i saw on a tennis court was a girl on her horse..now if there were two people on horseback on a t court maybe i would have figured they invented some sort of combination sport that was a mixture of tennis and polo? deuce would have started bleeding from the ears if he had witnessed that.....thank goodness the horse didnt take a dump on the court. ed

@wright
05-20-2004, 10:51 AM
Sorry your post got hijacked, ed. I take the off-topic arguing to mean that no one knows anything about speedminton. At least we got to see Phil knock Deuce off his high horse once again.

NoBadMojo
05-20-2004, 12:31 PM
aye @wright..variations on a theme for sure. if anyone is interested, i will post on this thread my take on speedminton after playing for a bit..i suspect i'll dig it like a day off...i like all the racquet sports. ed

Aonex
05-25-2004, 02:16 AM
Ed, would very much like to hear your comments on speedminton. I saw the commercial for speedminton and thought it might be an interesting alternative whenever the courts here in NYC get too crowded.

NoBadMojo
05-25-2004, 08:36 AM
aonex...i am still waiting for the gear. it should arrive this week and i will be sure to post after having a couple of sessions with it. ed

NoBadMojo
05-25-2004, 02:37 PM
Aonex..I dont think I am going to be posting my impressions of speedminton. I have no desire to post on this board anymore. This board is riddled w. ignorant people that insult and ridicule and attack others. It isnt a positive place to be. I think I have stuff to offer having been involved in tennis in many diff capacities for a big number of years including being a 5.0+ player and teaching pro..i just dont deserve or need to be attacked like this and feel as though i contribute far more than i take away from this place, so i am outta here. Ed

bcaz
05-25-2004, 10:10 PM
C'mon, Ed, nobadmojo, please don't go. You are one of the sane and helpful contributors. I agree, the clowns are a bit out of control now and have run some good posters off, and the kharma is crummy compared to what it could be ... the mojo does get bad sometimes ... as one old timer to another, I could say, c'mon, rub some dirt (green clay?) on it and shake it off, but I don't blame you.

Adios, man, hopefully not for the last time ... :(

BC

Aonex
05-25-2004, 11:19 PM
Ed, so sorry to hear about what happened with those idiot posters. It seems to me like as this board gets more popular, you get more people signing up that just don't care about what other people think. You've been very helpful in the past, and to me more than once. Hopefully when things cool off we'll see you again sometime. Best wishes. Alan