PDA

View Full Version : What is it with the world??

bboy_benny
02-26-2004, 04:28 AM
Its weird! I've been reading all of ur comments.. and when people asked how to get power in their shots? all the comments have been improve ur techniques!!! this confuses me.. coz since I was little people have been telling me to get stronger and all your stroke will have more power!!! so which ones are true? I know techniques are importants... but do training like sit-ups, push-ups, weights effects the power of ur stroke? or if you want to improve on your power you just need to concentrate on your techniques only? Coz all i know is big blokes belts the ball like bombs even though they know nothing about tennis!!! so in my opinion both counts huh? what do u think? can u get heaps good pace eventhough your techniques are really bad? or can u get more pace eventhough ur a 5 yrs old and ur techniques are better than james blake's techniques :P lol
Thanks for the response

@wright
02-26-2004, 05:37 AM
After you have the right mechanics, increasing your muscle mass does help, becuase if you use a fluid, loose swing, then extra weight in your arm and body will give you more pace, but it's not worth trying to bulk up to get pace if you have bad technique, because you won't be able to keep the ball in-pretty useless. I'd stick with improving mechanics, then bulking up can help...

AAAA
02-26-2004, 07:31 AM
All other things being equal a groundstroke with forward weight transfer will be more powerful than one with no weight transfer. So all other things being equal the bigger heavier opponent will hit harder than the smaller guy when hitting with forward weight transfer.

Hitting the ball using 100% power increases the chances for errors because most players will have decreased control the harder they try to hit. If you are much bigger and stronger than your opponent and equal in technical ability you have the advantage of being able to match your smaller opponent's most powerful shots by not having to use 100% power yourself since 80%, for example, of your maximum power may be = to 100% of their max power.

It's no coincidence the hardest groundstrokers and fastest servers on the ATP tour tend to be the bigger and/or taller players.

Hyperstate
02-26-2004, 09:52 AM
You'll have to ask Robby Ginepri on this one! :D Seriously, @wright and AAAA are right. Technique is a must and improved upper body, including the back, muscles help add to the force of the shot. What's that physics formula again? Force = mass x acceleration.

The force of your shot = the mass of your upper body in rotation plus the mass of the racquet x the acceleration of your shot.

This does not mean that overweight people have the highest force. Note rotation 8)

polakosaur
02-26-2004, 11:34 AM
increase in muscle gives you more stability on you shots because your just not throwing your racquet as hard as you can at the ball, muslce lets you have a solid stable base from where then you can hit with control