PDA

View Full Version : I found my ideal serve!

Talent
09-29-2005, 02:33 PM
There are a few aspects that I came across experimenting with the serve. I am convinced that a pinpoint stance on a serve can not be beat.

I also found the eruptive motion found in the pros' serves of today is one to be emulated and you can notice the difference.

The 'holy grail' motion for me right now is the motion that is similar to that of pros like Hewitt, Grosjean, and Thomas Johansson.

The key to the serve IMO is accentuating of the shifting the weight on to the back foot before exploding up. In my case because of this, my toss has become a harbor of consistency and the toss in turn has enabled me to get full control of my serve in all facets. Not only in placement, but I am able to vary the amount of spin and power I want on my serve to the effect I desire.

I hope these observations on the 'perfect' serve aid you in your serve. In the game of today, the serve is becoming more and more key.

Thanks for reading,
Ralph

PM_
09-29-2005, 02:46 PM
Hey Ralph, good for you!
I agree the serve is a key ingredient in winning more matches too. My serve would resemble Nadal's to each fine detail. I find his abbreviated motion is simplistically ideal for me. I use the same motion/toss for each of my flat, slice, and kick serves.

cadfael_tex
09-29-2005, 03:17 PM
I think the toss is the key no matter what else you may do. It's always been my downfall :(

Talent
09-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Actually, the one downside I find in this service is I feel a lack of power. What do you recommend for me to take note of to be able generate that velocity based bomber?

Thanks in advance

Marius_Hancu
09-29-2005, 06:52 PM
There are a few aspects that I came across experimenting with the serve. I am convinced that a pinpoint stance on a serve can not be beat.

I also found the eruptive motion found in the pros' serves of today is one to be emulated and you can notice the difference.

The key to the serve IMO is accentuating of the shifting the weight on to the back foot before exploding up. In my case because of this, my toss has become a harbor of consistency and the toss in turn has enabled me to get full control of my serve in all facets. Not only in placement, but I am able to vary the amount of spin and power I want on my serve to the effect I desire.

You have a tendency to generalize. That's not healthy.

Sampras and Federer are not using pinpoint, but platform.

As to the shifting of weight, yes, it is very important, but can be done in many ways. Even Sampras and Federer, both using platform, are not doing it in the same way.

Check my posting
Server Power and Placement
in the Sticky at the top of this forum
for:
first serve
Rocking Motion

xtremerunnerars
10-01-2005, 10:14 PM
I spent a good 3 hours straight one night trying different serve forms each hour. I decided that the best for me is the standard toss a few inches above my maximum reach (with racquet in hand), a knee bend, and pronation like CRAZY. I toss it out a little lower and more in front of me if my base serve isn't clicking, and i really feel like i get almost all of my weight into my serve. Granted that's only 120 lbs, its not very fast.