PDA

View Full Version : returning high spin shots/ serves?

hipster
09-29-2005, 07:28 PM
I'm not that tall, about 5' 10" or 5' 11", and I have a friend who can place a kick serve anywhere in the box and it bounces to about my shoulder. I have a ton of trouble with this or even real high topspin forehands. Other than trying to slice at it, how can I return this? It's hard to get back on it sometimes. Any advice? Thanks!

Talent
09-29-2005, 07:39 PM
On hitting high forehands, this was the gist of the advice given in one issue of Tennis Magazine: 1. Adopt a SW or Western grip 2. Employ an open stance 3. Track the ball with your racquet 4. Move the racquet arm in a waving motion 5. Show the butt of your racquet

For me as a player, I usually let this things come naturally and it usually comes sooner or later.

Marius_Hancu
09-29-2005, 07:46 PM
been there done that in other threads:

search
keywords: return high

and you will find threads such as these:

How to make a good return of high kicking serve?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=57141

How to return high forehands with Semi-Western grip?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=53007

hipster
09-29-2005, 07:47 PM
4. Move the racquet arm in a waving motion 5. Show the butt of your racquet

Could you clarify these two a little bit? I'm not really sure what you mean by "waving motion."

The best I can do on these shots is a slice if I get lucky, but even when it's really high I either miss or it's easy for my opponent to return. Thanks.

Talent
09-29-2005, 07:55 PM
Could you clarify these two a little bit?

4. When waving to someone, note how the wrist is laid back, which places the palm outward and the fingertips up while the forearm and hand move back and forth. You should use the same motion for the swing on a high forehand.

5. To get good depth, finish your follow-through with the butt of your racquet over your opposite shoulder and pointing toward your opponent's court.

Again, all information I posted is courtesy of the March 2004 issue of Tennis magazine.

hipster
09-29-2005, 07:57 PM
4. When waving to someone, note how the wrist is laid back, which places the palm outward and the fingertips up while the forearm and hand move back and forth. You should use the same motion for the swing on a high forehand.

5. To get good depth, finish your follow-through with the butt of your racquet over your opposite shoulder and pointing toward your opponent's court.

Again, all information I posted is courtesy of the March 2004 issue of Tennis magazine.

Ok, I get that. Thanks!

Talent
09-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Ok, I get that. Thanks!

No problem. Hope I have given you at least a tiny bit of assistance. Continue to have fun taking the court ;)

Mountainman
09-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Could you clarify these two a little bit? I'm not really sure what you mean by "waving motion."

The best I can do on these shots is a slice if I get lucky, but even when it's really high I either miss or it's easy for my opponent to return. Thanks.

I think what he meant is a windshield wiper motion. The windshield wiper motion doesn't have a forward motion so you have to rotate your hip.

GrahamIsSuper
09-29-2005, 08:21 PM
Returns really shouldn't have a big motion at all...especially on a high kick serve. Having a long take-back will definitely make you late at impact. Think of an old man forhand, where the user takes back the racquet just past their body, and then sort-of "punches" the ball. Just use the server's power, it goes back plenty fast, trust me.

An important thing also, is that you must move in when you see the characteristic "over the head" toss and/or arched back. These are necessary components of the kick, and are pretty tell-tale. Take an extra few steps in when you see him arch, and then punch the ball back with short follow-thru. The abreviated follow through is VERY important. It will cut back on the ammount of miss-hits you have, as theres less of a timing issue with it.

supersmash
09-29-2005, 09:06 PM
5' 10" and not that tall? Are you kidding me? I'm about 5' 7". To return kick serves, sometimes, I even run up to the service line because I have a decent-pretty good half volley.

Barricade_steve
09-29-2005, 09:32 PM
im 5-6 and my coach serves some really heavy kick serves to me. what i do is i take the ball early so the ball dosent jump up on me.

hipster
10-01-2005, 10:14 PM
hmmmm... taking it early. I have never tried that. I think that might work real well. Thanks for the tips guys!

(and yes, most of the friends I play with are over 6', including one who's about 6' 4", so I do consider myself short by their standards. :neutral: )

FREDDY
10-01-2005, 11:20 PM
step back split step early so you can move earlier to get to the ball since you are further behind the baseline

FREDDY
10-01-2005, 11:21 PM
or step into the baseline and take the serve early. you have to have a super forehand/backhand if the serve is good+ quick reflexes

hipster
10-02-2005, 01:41 PM
thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to go play someone with a serve like this now!