PDA

View Full Version : Nike tennis shoes technologically lacking?

LSee19
05-19-2004, 07:58 AM
Hey all,

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with Nike Tennis with alot of their shoe design and marketing decisions. But before I start, I would like to say that I have been using Nike products for years and have little or no complaints about the majority of their products. They usually make an awesome product, that I still wear to this day. Now here's my issue.....

Like alot of people, I don't just play tennis (even though it's my favorite sport by far.) I also play other sports year around (basketball, volleyball, etc.) I have found over the years that Nike has some awesome technologies that they have in their basketball shoes and cross trainers that would be really useful in tennis shoes. Many examples include double-stacked zoom air deposits, carbon-fibre spring plates in the insole, shox columns, different lacing systems, heel support systems, etc. I love Jordan Brand Shoes for their fit (I love their wide-forefoot designs), feel, and surprisingly, durability. Don't get me wrong, old school technologies are great too, just check out the stitching on the bottom of the outsole and on the side (Air Jordan Team Jumpman) on some of the recent Air Jordan's. Don't tell me the Vapor is high tech, the stuff in that shoe is circa 1999

Look, I know people will debate about wether or not the previously mentioned technologies actually work or not (I think the majority of it does, just go to kicksology.net to find out more, awesome site.) And I know people will complain that the price of shoes will go up if these technologies are incoroporated. I just think that Nike Tennis has done a disservice to loyal customers by not trying to introduce new technologies. I hope this post creates some debate on this board. This isn't a "I hate Nike" post, I just think that their best shoe is yet to come.

P.S. Nike Tennis has totally missed the boat on the Retro trend. I would like to see reproductions of certain shoes that were great before, and are much needed back. These are some of them:

-Nike Oscillate (The Black ones just look awesome!)

-Nike Air Trainer I (I heard this is still being produced, but in different colourways.)

-Some past Andre Agassi shoes

BreakPoint
05-19-2004, 12:12 PM
Yeah, how about bringing back the "original" Nike tennis shoe? You know - the white ones with the big, light blue swoosh which Nike sold in the late '70's and which McEnroe wore. They came in a leather and a canvas versions. If I remember correctly, they were called "Wimbledons". However, Nike should charge no more than $10 a pair since these shoes used to last less than a week on hard courts!

Brian Purdie
05-19-2004, 07:22 PM
The Nike retro trend as it pertains to tennis is behind, no doubt.
What have they released? The Nike ace 83 and challenge court mid that appeared in 84. In Fall 2002, they released a full line of McEnroe classics similar to 85 stuff. So that's where they are now.
The best is yet to come. The release of the Air Tech challenge 1,2,&3. In addition, some of the 88-91 clothes worn by Mac and Agassi will likely resurface.
They are behind schedule for a reason: AGASSI! I firmly beleive that Agassi does not want to wear denim shorts and spandex again, and Nike will not place something on the market bearing a tribute to Andre when he hasn't even retired. They are out for a good buck, like any company, but Nike wouldn't look right doing it. Look for some of the good stuff in 5 years, long after Andre has left the parade.

david aames
05-19-2004, 10:28 PM
I think they put all their tennis eggs in the golf market and what's left goes to Agassi and Serena. A quick look at the Nike Tennis website speaks a thousand words.

dantyem108
05-20-2004, 07:08 PM
ya, on the title page is a big picture of Serena :?

david aames
05-20-2004, 09:13 PM
It's Agassi wearing the 2003 line (white racing shirt) on the US site...