PDA

View Full Version : GET IN THE GAME...please?

f200
05-19-2004, 07:15 AM
The post about the popularity for tennis made for some good reading. My question is this Ė why should I care?

I really donít mean to sound like jack*****. Maybe I am missing something here. But as a regular old Joe tennis player, all the hand-wringing over declining TV ratings, ball sales, etc. doesnít really register.

I like tennis. I think itís a fun game. If other people donít, fine.

If you canít live with that arrangement, you probably have a financial stake in the game.

Camilio Pascual
05-19-2004, 08:39 AM
As a regular old Joe tennis player, I won't answer your question, only you can answer that one.
But, yes, you are missing a lot of somethings here. When tennis declines, nets don't get replaced or they get taken down and not put back up. Other maintenance of the courts decline, try tripping on some broken glass. Some courts get plowed over and something is built on top of them. This happened to about 32 courts within 200 yards of my office.
It is harder to find hitting partners.
Many of us have $1000 or up financial stake in the game, just counting equipment and other gear. Lessons and conditioning/workout programs cost time and money. We also have a large time investment.
The amateur game feeds the pro entertainment business with talent. Less interest=less talent. Some of these athletes will choose other sports.

ProStaffTour90
05-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Yes, can't you see, the facilities that you use to play the game you love depend on the popularity of Tennis, theye arn't gonna keep public courts and clubs are not gonna be maintained if no-one plays the game, there not gonna keep 'em open just for you! It's a pretty arrogant and selfish view you have there!

f200
05-20-2004, 06:31 AM
Camilio, court maintenance and hitting partners are good points which I didn't really think about. Equating money spent on equipment with making a livelihood in the tennis industry is a bit of a reach. My sticks don't lose value if the French Open bombs on ESPN (unless I am planning on hocking them on ****). If I own a tennis shop, that's another story.

Tour 90 I get you calling me selfish. Fair enough, my post probably is. I don't quite get how I am arrogant, though. Arrogant means I think I'm better than everyone else. I think my post was just the opposite - I like the game I play, and I'm sure people like other games just as well. Just different tastes, no one better than another.

BTW, I don't think anyone should keep courts open just for me. If the interest is not there and the courts are not used, then I will have to shell out my own $$ to play at a club (which I already do). Amazing idea, eh? Not counting on someone else to foot the bill for what I choose to do in my spare time.

Maybe that's not quite fair. If local governments feel that recreational facilitities provide for better health of the people, than that's probably a good use of money. But if there are more people riding bikes than playing tennis, the $$$ should go to bike trails.

evw
05-20-2004, 08:20 AM
The only reason this is an issue is because tennis companies and the USTA (non-profit my a**) say it is. I'm a tennis player but also participate in many other activities. Surfing for example holds the exact opposite viewpoint...we don't want or need any more people to surf. Myself, I prefer tennis to stay out of the mainstream as much as possible. I mean come on do you really like waiting an hour for a court?

ProStaffTour90
05-20-2004, 03:22 PM
Even some clubs will have to close down if it got really bad, your talking as if they will always be there!

Rocky Top
05-20-2004, 05:26 PM
I agree with Camilio in that if we don't keep the game alive we are going to find it harder to find places and people to play.

But they way tennis goes about trying to promote itself (at least in the US) is so weak it isn't even funny. The USTA infomercials during the Open are look lame and downright desperate. A game doesn't look too cool if you have to practically beg people to play.

Capt. Willie
05-20-2004, 05:37 PM
All of you make good valid points. I can remember when I was a kid in the 70s waiting at the public courts for over an hour to play. I remember being limited to just one hour a day and sometimes being forced into playing doubles with total strangers because of limited courts. Nowadays I never (or at least very rarely) have to wait for a court. On the downside I have seen courts fall into disarray...even to dangerous conditions. The town where I used to live in UpState New York turned a bunch of tennis courts into basketball courts and another set into a sort of roller-skating hockey rink. The local indoor tennis club turned more than half of the courts into a fitness center (weight machines) and is now basically a gym with a few indoor tennis courts. I can remember back in the 70s-80s all the local towns holding their own public park tennis tournaments every summer. Plus we had a big county tournament in August. By the 90s all of these town tournaments were gone because of lack of interest. In 2002 the County tournament had cancelled all age group events and just had open MS, MD, (no WS) WD and MXD because not enough people were signing up...numbers had been dwindling for years. It would not surprise me if it were completely gone in the next couple of years. So yeah, we have courts to ourselves but sadly we have also lost a lot.