PDA

View Full Version : Looking tired & beat as a ploy

JeffH1
09-30-2005, 09:56 AM
Reading a couple of post down, someone mentioned Sampras's "tired" look. I notice how the Williams sisters and esp Serena will look simply beat and then just kill her opponent. Does anyone here employ the "wounded duck" strategy during matches? I can't say that I have, but I might start.

nickybol
09-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Try it, use it if it helps. We all know the stories about players whos opponent got injured, but they got so confused themselves they lost.

moosryan
09-30-2005, 12:14 PM
no. i feed on that. if someone looks beat and tired, i'll start playing better.

TennsDog
09-30-2005, 12:21 PM
I personally advise against it. I don't think it is a respectable way to win, trying to dupe your opponent. The only trickery that belongs in tennis is hiding a shot or a fake drop shot or something. It is unfair and dishonest.

PM_
09-30-2005, 12:30 PM
no. i feed on that. if someone looks beat and tired, i'll start playing better.

Same, I won't take that chance to boost my opponent's level up.

Geezer Guy
09-30-2005, 01:07 PM
Hmmm, When I'm feeling tired and beat I always try to act as if I still have plenty of energy. Are you saying that's not respectable or dishonest? We always have to act outwardly exactly how we feel inside?

Clayplay
10-01-2005, 04:39 AM
i also benefit if my opponent is looking tired, or at least i try. but sometimeds i'm not even aware of what they're doing because im so focused on my own game.
i never try to look tired on court. i try to look ready for the match to make my opponent afraid.

Nuke
10-01-2005, 05:32 AM
I may be doing this unintentionally. I sweat a ton during matches, so after a set, I look pretty beat, and I don't run much for balls between points, so it probably looks like I'm exhausted when I'm not. It's probably not a good strategy, though , as many of you pointed out -- it gives a lift to your opponent to think he's wearing you out.

TennsDog
10-01-2005, 07:07 AM
Geezer, two things: ones is that that strategy is as much for yourself as for your opponent. If you start acting weak, you will begin to play weak. Also, that is simply keeping you at the same relative position as when you started. It is not meant to give the edge (mental or otherwise) to either player. If you look tired, he has the edge; if he looks tired, you have the edge; if neither player looks tired, the better player has the edge.

xtremerunnerars
10-01-2005, 09:56 PM
I play against one person a whole lot, who usually lets his emotions get the best of him..he gets frustrated fairly easily...and throws his racquet more than he probably should. I pride myself on showing little-no emotions while playing, it just makes my opponent frustrated thus making them overhit or go for shots they're not comfortable with.

If i get way far up in a set against him (happens a lot), i'll slow my pace down, and work on my consistency and control. The length of our rallies will increase, and if i hit one of my shots i probably shouldn't be able to hit (ie reaching behind my head and blocking one of his hardest overheads back with a lob that hits the baseline), i'll act really really worn out on the changeover. I'll breathe pretty heavily, maybe get some water. It's not as obvious at that sounds, and it makes him play better. We intend to play highschool varsity doubles (we're freshmen) so i don't wanna discourage him.

While it's not the greatest thing to do, if it works, it works.

cervelo
10-10-2005, 07:39 AM
Sometimes, it works because the player "acting" believes that it works, and for no other reason.

If this works to distract yourself to relieve pressure, it's fine in my opinion, as long as it's within the Code. Translation: know the Code so you always play within those rules, otherwise you'll get called out by an opponent who does know them.

At any rate, courtesy and Code aren't the same thing, and you may burn a few players who call you a gamer. With my buddies, we "game" each other all the time, purposely pushing buttons to break rhythm. Understand though that we accept this bravado and behavior going in, and never grow angry from it. None of us do it to players outside of our circle, and we tend not to do it when others are watching.

It's a courtesy thing as much as a rule thing ... use at your own risk, but I'll always consider it to be part of the game - and I respect the opinions of others who disagree with me.