PDA

View Full Version : Mixed doubles: Do attractive women throw you off?

PM_
09-30-2005, 01:44 PM
I posted a thread last week about a "men's" doubles league I was entering.
Well, it turned out that it was a mixed doubles league and having never met anyone there before all I can say is...some of these women were pretty good-looking.

One of my first matches that night was against a couple, and the lady (she was blonde and VERY ATTRACTIVE) was eyeing me practically the whole match. I don't know if it was a strategic thing-(I don't think it was cos she was staring at me from the lounge too afterwards!!!-what can I say)
But staying on topic, during the match everytime I set up for an easy shot, I would whale one to the other end of the indoor wall or sail one wide. Talk about distraction. The funny thing on my serve once when I was receiving an extra ball from my partner, the same woman nailed me in the eye from a feed I didn't expect. And I was pretty sure the guy she was with was her boyfriend/husband-or at least I think he was.(They left together that evening.)

Has anyone experience similar distractions? I guess my point is in mixed doubles there are so many times I want to just crush an easy ball over the net but sometimes I think I let up b/c I worry I may hurt the female at net if she can't react in time to get out of the way. (I'll have to follow up on her the next week and see what her story is with that other guy and if I was INDEED eye candy to her. :D

PM_
09-30-2005, 01:50 PM
Pogo, you must have some similar stories to share..................

Muse
09-30-2005, 02:05 PM
No, they dont distract me. I play to win, not to ogle women.

GrahamIsSuper
09-30-2005, 02:27 PM
They distract me...I have been known to try playing "strip tennis" (don't ask) and also placing winner gets bought drinks bets, of course losing on purpose. Years from now, tennis most likely wont be my priority in life. Beautiful and/or smart/funny women will be a priority forever.

PM_
09-30-2005, 02:40 PM
LOL. Strip tennis would definitely be interesting............I don't think the women at my league would be into that, HAHAHA.

Chris Evert-Awful
09-30-2005, 05:43 PM
This is such a lame, geeky topic. If I hit with a hot guy, I still want to destroy him. And I'd CERTAINLY never think of initiating a message board thread about whether or not wanting to fellate my opponent would throw my game off.

GrahamIsSuper
09-30-2005, 07:33 PM
This is such a lame, geeky topic. If I hit with a hot guy, I still want to destroy him. And I'd CERTAINLY never think of initiating a message board thread about whether or not wanting to fellate my opponent would throw my game off.

Mom? Hellooo....I'm pretty sure this thread applied to males, unless of course you're a....a..."feminazi" so-to-speak. That's the difference between males and females in sports - especially in this case - (yes to some ladies, I realize that it may not apply to you, thats why its "general") women are more competetive when playing against men. For some reason, some women take it upon themselves to be "one of da guyz" and try and crush male competition. Even if they DO crush the competition, they fail to realize that a lot of men probably just LET them win, or were too distracted with their assets to play the game, thus they brag about their "victories" and never get another opportunity to A) get bought drinks or whatever, or B) play with them again. Choose, but choose wisely. Nothing's wrong with being a damsel in distress.

Chris Evert-Awful
09-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Let's trot out some tediously recherche misogyny, why don't we? It's so, so telling that you began your post with the only cosmetically ironic "Mom"? Clearly you can only perceive women through the mommy/baby cathexis. I can clearly envision the sparse distribution of your pubic hair, and it makes me want to vomit.

GrahamIsSuper
09-30-2005, 07:53 PM
Let's trot out some tediously recherche misogyny, why don't we? It's so, so telling that you began your post with the only cosmetically ironic "Mom"? Clearly you can only perceive women through the mommy/baby cathexis. I can clearly envision the sparse distribution of your pubic hair, and it makes me want to vomit.

First off, why are you envisioning my pubic hair? I'm 17, ma`m, that kind of behavior can get you in a lot of trouble with "The man", a force you've apparently never heard of, judging by your oh-so-telling rhetoric.

Your large repetoire of vocabulary may impress some, that is, until you start trotting out some tediously cliche words in an effort to make youself appear superior to a 17-year-old. Touche ma`m, touche. Honestly, do you really need to stretch your hatred of men to a tennis message board?

You come into a thread that is OBVIOULSY male-sided, and spout your army-boot-wearing, impromptu short hair cut, flannel-pant clad drivel at people who are simply having a conversation. How mature are YOU, I ask?

Chris Evert-Awful
09-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Grow up, pup. Stop trading on all your television-learnin' and get to know women. If they can stand you.

ucd_ace
09-30-2005, 08:09 PM
They don't distract me; it can make me a little nervous, but that usually makes me play a little better.

GrahamIsSuper
09-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Grow up, pup. Stop trading on all your television-learnin' and get to know women. If they can stand you.

I get the impression that you know enough about women for the both of us. Weren't you the one insulting me for stooping to this same level? As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't have had any issue with you, had you not made personal attacks on me, calling me indirectly "Lame" and/or "Geeky". I will let bygones be bygones, but for the sake of everyone here, there are plenty of more widely-used synonyms you could be using...it makes reading threads easier. You will most likely get many more replies to your topics. Good day ma`m, I'd hold the door for you as you leave, but I don't want to male dominate you. That task is yours.

Chris Evert-Awful
09-30-2005, 08:49 PM
The ultimate laff riot in this instance is that I'm actually a gay man!

bookem
10-01-2005, 01:37 AM
Only when I fall on them...;)

Tennis Ball Hitter
10-01-2005, 01:59 AM
Attractive women don't throw me off in the sense that I am half ogling and half looking at the ball. But I may be less inclined to partake in lengthy lobbing rallies.

Turning Pro
10-01-2005, 03:11 AM
in one single word.YES.

xtremerunnerars
10-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Woah...after reading the pubic hair, i thought chrissy totally killed you in the argument, but BOY was i wrong! Great mini flame war there...and chris you don't really have a leg to stand on here. The only reason you came into this topic was that you knew someone would say something you could put down. You knew it! That's like wanting to play an 8 year old because you want to smash it into their face. Low..real low. If you're that superior, let us have our discussion and stay the hell out! Go write an extreme feminist essay somewhere because nobody wants to hear about it here. I enjoy spending time with girls (i'm only 15), but i can't stand people like you. I'm a gentleman, i open doors, walk people to their houses if we're at a party, get them drinks, etc. We're not ALL chauvenist (sp) pigs, so don't treat us like that.

Anyways...there aren't too many attractive girls playing tennis around here, and for the ones that are, i save the flirting for AFTER the match.

WW Volley
10-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Only when I fall on them...;)

Bookem wins. No need to read the rest of the thread.

bluegrasser
10-02-2005, 06:33 AM
Woah ! - with a vocabulary like that I find Chris Evert-awful very attractive , and yes, I'm over thirty...

GrahamIsSuper
10-02-2005, 08:40 AM
Woah ! - with a vocabulary like that I find Chris Evert-awful very attractive , and yes, I'm over thirty...

didn't he/she say he was a gay man?

Chris Evert-Awful
10-02-2005, 02:30 PM
Who knew that contemporary teenage boys are so old-world and terrified of women who are gay men?
"Let us have our discussion and stay the hell out!" -- great philosophy on an otherwise egalitarian tennis board. Should I also just stay mum in the event that a "Are you scared to play Black people?" thread emerges?
Unless a secret knock, codified tattoo and white sheets are involved, there is no domain in which ***-backwardness can flourish without critique.

rilokiley
10-02-2005, 03:26 PM
I usually play better. gotta impress them, ya know.

fishuuuuu
10-02-2005, 03:38 PM
</3 threads that need a dictionary to be read.

And no, attractive strokes throw me off.

hipster
10-02-2005, 03:42 PM
I think it's a pretty valid topic. On the one hand, if you're playing for fun and join a league to meet people, obviously it might have an effect. But if you're playing seriously, it shouldn't. I don't think, however, that you should hold back on hitting passing shots or whatever on them simply because it's an attractive woman. She joined to play tennis, she could hit lobs with a friend if that's what she wanted. I'm not saying hit her with an overhead if she's at the net, but don't hold back. Then buy her drinks :)

GrahamIsSuper
10-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Who knew that contemporary teenage boys are so old-world and terrified of women who are gay men?
"Let us have our discussion and stay the hell out!" -- great philosophy on an otherwise egalitarian tennis board. Should I also just stay mum in the event that a "Are you scared to play Black people?" thread emerges?
Unless a secret knock, codified tattoo and white sheets are involved, there is no domain in which ***-backwardness can flourish without critique.

Ok, honestly, you are really digging yourself into a grave here. Can you quote me at ANY time saying ANYTHING negative in regard to gay men? I do believe that your search will turn out nothing.

You're absolutely right, "Bruce", you have every right to enter into any topic on this board. What you are doing, however, is not so much "entering" a topic as you are trolling your way through it. Not only are you trolling, you are also making a complete idiot out of yourself for continuing an argument with me for the sake of pride, after everyone who has seen this topic has agreed you have no ground from which to attack ANYTHING and more importantly any one in this thread.

In your question regarding the "are you scared to play black people thread", you are proving yourself to be as hypocritical as you are stupid. How can you say what is fair to ask when you yourself are complaining about not being lauded as a positive member in this so-hated thread? Critique? I believe you will find that, in your dictionary you undoubtedly keep handy next to your keyboard, entitled "How to act like an *** using big words Vol. I'm a ******', the word "critique" is not defined as "Hi, I have little to no life and spend my time acting like a complete and utter jackass on a tennis message board". Good day.

Chris Evert-Awful
10-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Oh, for Christ's sake. Don't you have HBO? I was being somewhat lighthearted and ironic with the "women who are gay men" thingie. Anyway, the salient thing is: let's stick to tennis. So many of us (read "you") can't keep pace in any other arena.

GrahamIsSuper
10-02-2005, 05:03 PM
You aren't even making sense any more. Where's your grammar now?

The whole point of this argument was trying to get you to realize that ALL WE WERE DOING WAS DISCUSSING TENNIS until you decided to get all uppety. Im glad somone (Read "you") finally found the light.

liionel
10-03-2005, 01:38 AM
hmm. maybe? i dont know. all's fair in love and war. that includes tennis! lol.

andreh
10-03-2005, 02:01 AM
I get distracted by beautiful women no matter what I do.

andreh
10-03-2005, 02:01 AM
oops. double post. (A beautiful girl walked by my office just as I clicked the post button!)

PM_
10-03-2005, 08:49 AM
*back from weekend trip. SIGH*

Chris, after the advice I gave you in the tips section you come here without a cause? Please, get a life! And yes, "MOM" is the correct term for you. Shouldn't you be changing some diapers or something?

PM_
10-03-2005, 09:00 AM
I think it's a pretty valid topic. On the one hand, if you're playing for fun and join a league to meet people, obviously it might have an effect. But if you're playing seriously, it shouldn't. I don't think, however, that you should hold back on hitting passing shots or whatever on them simply because it's an attractive woman. She joined to play tennis, she could hit lobs with a friend if that's what she wanted. I'm not saying hit her with an overhead if she's at the net, but don't hold back. Then buy her drinks :)

I play to win to hipster. I think the most distracting thing about doubles tennis (especially mixed) is when you're returning and the opposing net player is staring at you right in the eyes!!!!!!!!! Too close for comfort!