PDA

View Full Version : I'm just confounded...

Chris Evert-Awful
09-30-2005, 04:17 PM
This guy that I play with has been getting and better, all summer/fall. He now alternates between hitting an unreturnable backhand off of my timid mid-court balls, or slicing so effectively that the ball invariably DIES ALTOGETHER before I can even consider running for it.
How do I hit out? How do I prohibit his weird, inspired slice?

Talent
09-30-2005, 04:25 PM
You should always anticipate, and pay attention to cues on his takeback that indicate a slice coming. Maybe you should strategize more. Try hitting the ball deeper, but continue to mix it up depending on your game plan.

Hope these tips are of some assistance,
Ralph

PM_
09-30-2005, 04:42 PM
You prevent this by not hitting those "timid mid-court balls".

Chris Evert-Awful
09-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Would that I could...I just get so petrified when the ball is on my side of the court that I can't hit with any juice. And he just tees off. Perhaps I've hit the ceiling of my tennis ability, and should really be playing with ******** people or toddlers?

Talent
09-30-2005, 05:04 PM
Would that I could...I just get so petrified when the ball is on my side of the court that I can't hit with any juice. And he just tees off. Perhaps I've hit the ceiling of my tennis ability, and should really be playing with ******** people or toddlers?

One thing I know is for sure. There is always something to discover in tennis, and I feel you can only get better. You just need the confidence, and you'll get that confidence by finding a counter-strategy. How did my tips help? Maybe others can help you as well....

Chris Evert-Awful
09-30-2005, 05:17 PM
Thanks, Talent. The watching his take-back tip is very helpful. It's just so, so difficult to concentrate on multiple things during play. And my movement/footwork is somewhere between Lindsay Davenport and a granite statue.

PM_
09-30-2005, 05:33 PM
Chris don't ever demean yourself. If he is ripping lasers at you just try blocking them back to him. With the cutting slices, it's best to work on your footwork to get to them faster. As Talent said, slices are easy to read so try anticipating them as soon as possible to give yourself a good jump forward.

Chris Evert-Awful
09-30-2005, 08:15 PM
Hmm. And how do you slow down a player who's faster and more accomplished than you? The guy is short and fast. Should I moonball until he screws up?

GrahamIsSuper
09-30-2005, 08:38 PM
Since slice is a "defensive shot" by many people's 'professional' opinions now, you could try coming to net more. Against a faster player, you need more angles to hit winners. How to get more angle? Hm, go to the net. You have a lot more open court to hit to, and they have a lot less to hit past you. I vote learn to volley. This will also negate his low slices, as they will just be nice easy shots for you to volley off of, and they never get a chance to bounce and in turn hurt you.

Also remember, when the ball is on your side of the court, there is literally NOTHING the opponent can do to hurt you, in any way shape or form. When the ball is on your side, you are in control, and the shot is in your hands. So relax, chill out, and take your time. Always keep your feet bouncing, and remember to split-step.

xtremerunnerars
10-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Not to sound conceited..but you wouldn't happen to be my doubles partner, would you? You soudn a lot like him, and i developed those said abilities of the guy you play against this summer. You're a step closer to getting ahead of him again by admitting that you were the better player, and he wanted it more than you did. Find the force that drove you to play tennis, and harness it. There's a reason he's improving so much, so why can't you improve the same amount?

Chris Evert-Awful
10-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Hiya,
I only play singles, so it's unlikely that you're my nemesis. And trust me -- my passion and hunger for the game has never been more intense.

troytennisbum
10-02-2005, 01:09 PM
You prevent this by not hitting those "timid mid-court balls".

This is your problem in a nutshell. Forget about any "strategies" against this guy. At this point in time, you need to simply improve your BASIC tennis skills. Your hitting short balls and you can't keep the ball deep. This is the first no-no in beginning tennis 101 and needs to be corrected first and foremost.

Chris Evert-Awful
10-02-2005, 03:04 PM
You're right. My basic skills aren't yet sound. I'm playing him this week; I'll forget about taking the ball in the air and coming to net and just try to hit out. Flat. Minimal topspin. Hit hard and move around a lot -- a good mantra for a 3.5'er?

MTChong
10-02-2005, 03:17 PM
You're right. My basic skills aren't yet sound. I'm playing him this week; I'll forget about taking the ball in the air and coming to net and just try to hit out. Flat. Minimal topspin. Hit hard and move around a lot -- a good mantra for a 3.5'er?

No. Consistency and anticipation to use your consistency.

rilokiley
10-02-2005, 04:36 PM
I'd just hit to his backhand and come to the net

Chris Evert-Awful
10-02-2005, 04:55 PM
His backhand is by far his better shot. He does this whippy full body thing and just kills the ball from his backhand wing.