PDA

View Full Version : Semi Western Grip serve VERY WRONG?

Concealeddreamer
09-30-2005, 08:43 PM
Most of my friends are using the Semi Western grip for serving and is doing ok..5/10 maybe? But it's faster than my continental serves! What is the reason for this? Is Semi Western wrong for serving? Or is it ok and that I sohuld switch to it? Because I think I do pretty well with Semi Western. Or should I just improve my continental?

fishuuuuu
09-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Just improve your continental ... as far as the validity of the semi-western grip service goes ... a-ha-ha-ha-ha ...

nViATi
09-30-2005, 09:25 PM
Most of my friends are using the Semi Western grip for serving and is doing ok..5/10 maybe? But it's faster than my continental serves! What is the reason for this? Is Semi Western wrong for serving? Or is it ok and that I sohuld switch to it? Because I think I do pretty well with Semi Western. Or should I just improve my continental?
it's faster because you haven't practice continental. learn to hit serves with continental. when you learn how to do it right, you'll thank us

SageOfDeath
09-30-2005, 09:45 PM

Using a semi-western grip for serving you wouldn't even make it to a jr varsity on a high school team, stick with continental. If you get some lessons your serve will improve dramatically if you use good technique.

MattPr
10-01-2005, 12:17 AM
At some stage, if they want to improve, they'll have to switch from the 'frying-pan' grip to a continental.

Stick with the grip you're using and work on the variety it gives you -slice, flat and kick. In tennis you're only as good as your second serve and apart from the flat serve your friends haven't got anything worth worrying about.

Koaske
10-01-2005, 12:45 AM
Maybe those people serving with the sw grip have better natural shoulder flexibility , which is one important factor in getting a fast serve. Howerer , I find it hard to serve with closed stance when using sw grip , so the stance is a bit more open , which takes off some power. Besides , with sw grip it's not so easy to get a good topspin and lots of topspin is needed for a dependable second serve.

Mr.Federer
10-01-2005, 07:15 AM
Use the continental serve grip.You can injure your wrist using a SW grip for a serve.

erik-the-red
10-01-2005, 07:51 AM
Yes, it is wrong. I used it up until February of this year. I read Tennis Magazine's article on the serve and I looked at a picture of Roddick's before serving online and I noticed something.

Holy crap is my grip whack or what?

It takes some time because it is so awkward at first. But, it is the only way to get more variety and eventually pace on your serve.

B5002
10-01-2005, 08:58 AM
I used to use an eastern for serves and could only hit flat serves. My coach made switch to continental and it is about a hundred times better. I can hit flat, slice, and kick now. Although it does take a while to get used to.

supersmash
10-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Wouldn't snapping at contact hurt?

snoflewis
10-01-2005, 10:27 PM
most likely

ktncnttl
10-02-2005, 03:28 AM
Actually I have read somewhere that if your serve is just for starting the point (swing at 50% or less) and you don't snap your wrist, you could benefit from using the SW grip. It creates a reverse spin that most returners are uncustomed to. Don't expect to get an ace but you might get some return errors. However for hard serves continental is the way to go.

nViATi
10-02-2005, 06:35 AM
Actually I have read somewhere that if your serve is just for starting the point (swing at 50% or less) and you don't snap your wrist, you could benefit from using the SW grip. It creates a reverse spin that most returners are uncustomed to. Don't expect to get an ace but you might get some return errors. However for hard serves continental is the way to go.
but why learn the wrong way first? when you first learn you should learn the right way or the closest to it (eastern)

ktncnttl
10-02-2005, 07:16 AM
Some people like seniors can't serve hard and all they could do is to "wave" at their serves. They might be able to "improve" their serves by imparting reverse spin with a SW grip.

nViATi
10-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Some people like seniors can't serve hard and all they could do is to "wave" at their serves. They might be able to "improve" their serves by imparting reverse spin with a SW grip.
if they can't serve hard then that means they have low head speed. if they have low head speed it means they won't get much if any spin. so... the sw grip reverse spin serve won't help

ktncnttl
10-02-2005, 08:12 AM
It might help against senior returners. Not everyone is 4.5 or above you know. Not that I am against continental for serve, I use continental for serve too but when I am really really tired I use the SW and just wave at my serve. Beats the underhand serve at least. God, I am getting old.

SageOfDeath
10-02-2005, 08:18 AM
It might help against senior returners. Not everyone is 4.5 or above you know. Not that I am against continental for serve, I use continental for serve too but when I am really really tired I use the SW and just wave at my serve. Beats the underhand serve at least. God, I am getting old.

uhhh 3.0's can serve plenty well with a continental grip. It doesn't have to be a fast serve, just consistant. A continental grip allows the server to be more loose so they don't have to arm the ball.

POGO
10-02-2005, 09:00 AM
For the people that serve semi western grip, were you all self taught in tennis?

ffrpg
10-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Definitely switch to continential. It might be ackward at first, but it'll pay off in the end.

AAAA
10-04-2005, 05:06 AM
I don't think Boris Becker used the continental serving grip and he served quite well.

nViATi
10-04-2005, 06:11 AM
I don't think Boris Becker used the continental serving grip and he served quite well.
i think he used something between continental and eastern... or so i heard
and hey, that's close enough for me

Rickson
10-04-2005, 06:27 AM
The sw on serves gives an opposite direction spin. I experimented with the sw on serves to the ad side and actually had good success with it, but continental is the proper grip for serves so ditch the sw and go continental.

dannyjjang
10-04-2005, 08:19 AM
when using continental grip, are u making a slice or hitting it directly into the racquet, when i see pros serve, in the motion of hitting the ball the racquet slants, i used semi western because it made more sense of hitting it directly into the racquet!!!! but i dont ne more continental hurts my WRIST:(

Maledizione
10-04-2005, 10:56 AM
It hurts because your serve motion isn't fully correct. You are probably serving using the continental grip, the same way you serve when using a semi-western, that is why your wrist hurts.

When I switched from eastern to continental grip for serves, I was horrible. In fact I got golfer's elbow from serving wrongly. But I watched a lot of pros serve motion and eventually got a teacher (the best thing I did) who helped me with the serve.

Trust me, in the long run, your serve will be better with a continental. I occasionally play a guy who serves with an eastern forehand grip. Completely open stance. Has a relatively fast flat first serve. But absolutely no ability to create spin, and a sitter of a dinked second serve.

And to answer your question, you can hit a flat serve (I assume this is what you mean by "hitting directly into the racquet") using a continental grip, not just slice or spin serves.

Rickson
10-04-2005, 11:09 AM
when using continental grip, are u making a slice or hitting it directly into the racquet, when i see pros serve, in the motion of hitting the ball the racquet slants, i used semi western because it made more sense of hitting it directly into the racquet!!!! but i dont ne more continental hurts my WRIST:(
The pronating will get the ball into the ad court if you're a righty, deuce for a lefty, with a continental grip. Don't learn bad habits because it'll be one more thing to correct in the future. Continental or eastern backhand is better for serves than the eastern forehand or a semiwestern.

lude popper
10-08-2005, 05:13 PM
if my local pro tought me the SW grip for a serve ...

....[i would seriously, seriously, seriously, seriously, seriously consider litigation]

rilokiley
10-09-2005, 03:11 AM
when you first swith to continental you won't be able to get the ball in the box nor hit hard, but keep practicing! good luck and have fun!

Morpheus
10-09-2005, 03:46 AM

Yes he did (although is wasn't too far over--see pic). My guess is that your buddy hits a very flat serve; that's why it has more zip.

http://hem.passagen.se/mighty/bilder/becker3.jpg