PDA

View Full Version : Can you nail an underspun ball?

ktncnttl
10-01-2005, 08:21 AM
I can't do anything with an underspun ball. All I can do is to push it back and if I try to be fancy it'd probably go out. Is it a common problem for anyone or is it just me? Any tips on how to nail an underspun ball?

golden chicken
10-01-2005, 08:34 AM
what grip do you use? if you use a SW or W forehand grip, it can be hard to return slice because you need to create your own pace. you have to flatten out your stroke and hit through the ball, almost like you're feeding it to start a rally.

goober
10-01-2005, 11:13 AM
heavy underspin can be hard to hit with a loopy swing. I played a guy last week who hit heavy slice off both sides on all his shots. At first I had a hard time with it because I take a loopy swing on my FH with a SW grip. I kept shanking and mishitting. I shortened the loop on my swing and went to a grip that was more bewteen eastern and SW. Make sure your footwork is good and get down on those balls with a good knee bend. I started out 0-3 and ended up winning 6-3, 6-0.

GrahamIsSuper
10-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Slicers typically are pushers...and the ultimate method of beating pushers is S&V. It's pretty tough to get passed by a slice shot, so you should be in good shape if he lobs. He will most undoubtedly lob you every time, so don't get right on top of the net. You should be A-OK right at the service line, cus his slice wont dip down like a topspin would.

I like to half-volley slice and come to the net, personally. Otherwise, just get really low and don't try to kill it, 9/10 times you'll end up netcord or under if you do.

Mahboob Khan
10-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Low balls (underspin slices) are a bit hard to return with extreme grips. But there is one positive thing about them that underspin balls are suitable to return with topspin provided you bend your knees because this way you stay with the rotation! How to stay with the rotation:

-- You hit topspin, I return with slice (I stay with rotation),

-- You hit with slice, I return with topspin (I stay with rotation).

Many errors are committed when you change direction and/or rotation of the ball!

ktncnttl
10-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Low balls (underspin slices) are a bit hard to return with extreme grips. But there is one positive thing about them that underspin balls are suitable to return with topspin provided you bend your knees because this way you stay with the rotation! How to stay with the rotation:

-- You hit topspin, I return with slice (I stay with rotation),

-- You hit with slice, I return with topspin (I stay with rotation).

Many errors are committed when you change direction and/or rotation of the ball!

I heard an underspun ball becomes a topspun ball after the bounce, is that right? By the way I use SW.

cadfael_tex
10-01-2005, 07:29 PM
heavy underspin can be hard to hit with a loopy swing. I played a guy last week who hit heavy slice off both sides on all his shots. At first I had a hard time with it because I take a loopy swing on my FH with a SW grip. I kept shanking and mishitting. I shortened the loop on my swing and went to a grip that was more bewteen eastern and SW. Make sure your footwork is good and get down on those balls with a good knee bend. I started out 0-3 and ended up winning 6-3, 6-0.

What Goober said. I think knee bend and getting down to the ball is one of the most important things (regardless of what grip you use). THe more you can move your base down by bending the knees, the less you have to adjust the shot.

And if you are good at net then Grahamissuper's method is a good bet too.