PDA

View Full Version : Plan A is going astray, what is your Plan B?

Talent
10-01-2005, 09:14 AM
There is lots of talk in the pros of Federer's uncanny ability to adjust his game plan in order to find the kryptonite to his opponent's. Do you have a backup plan to go to once your bread and butter isn't functioning as planned?

I love to dictate with my groundies, but sometimes due to one thing or another, things do not pan out as I like. I observed that today I decided to cut off balls and take them early on the rise. These in turn gave me the opportunity to rush the net and give the final blow with a volley.

Please share your primary backup plan depending on the situation

Thanks for showing interest in this thread,
Ralph

Mr.Federer
10-01-2005, 10:00 AM
My backup would be to play more "safer" because my A is to make the other guy run and taking risks. So I would play more defensive for my B, I don't mind playing D, I like to run.

GrahamIsSuper
10-01-2005, 02:09 PM
My A is all-court/S&V. if that doesn't work, I like to make THEM come to net and then pass them and or lob them. I do this by doing the fed chip shot short and then when they pop it up, I can pretty much go wherever I want. It doesn't work as well against super-fast players, though. That's why I dropshot/lob like a cheap guy.

splink779
10-01-2005, 08:06 PM
I play baseline tennis, and try to dictate. When my game falls apart, I basically go for broke on everything, ala Gonzo. This includes giant second serves. Usually works ok because I eventually make an incredible shot that boosts my confidence and brings my game back. You should try it!

StraightSets
10-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Here is a useful thread on a similar topic:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=52886&highlight=plan

RiosTheGenius
10-01-2005, 09:17 PM
hey there Talent,
firstly; great avatar.

now, about the thread. if you hit the ball early I asume you have an offensive game or if not at least that tells me of an offensive attitude at least, I have a very similar game mentality. which means that when that low margin for error game style is a bit off, it ain't pretty.
what seems to work for me when that happens is to make some adjustments during my oponents' serve as far as ground strokes and that sort of thing. go back behind the baseline and start hitting a few low risk but solid groundies. one of the few things I've learned about hitting balls on the rise is that it cannot be done right away. get comfy first and then start showing off your magic wrist.
now, if you can return serves on the rise as Agassi does, well God bless you.

Breaker
10-02-2005, 05:47 AM
Plan A- Keep ball in play and run down shots to wear down my opponent, playing high percentage tennis until they miss.
Plan B- GET TO NET. I don't know why but when I don't have my consistency down I naturally just start playing an aggressive all court game. At the baseline my sole purpose- get my opponent off the court enough so that I can sneak in and hit an easy volley.