PDA

View Full Version : Play The Point Over?

CivicLx
10-01-2005, 01:17 PM
I was playing doubles a few days ago with some people and my partner was serving. He serves the ball and the guy returns it to him. My partner then hit the ball to our opponent who was playing at the net. He missed the volley sending it out of bounds and after losing the point he said he wanted to do the play over because he was not ready. I guess he was looking down and just looked up when the ball was coming to him.

Should you do the point over? I could see if he was the one returning the serve, but he wasn't. He didn't mention it until after 3 hits (including serve) and missing the volley?

Do over or our point?

GrahamIsSuper
10-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Your point. You can only claim "not ready" if you really weren't ready. By taking an attempt at the ball, the opponent was technically "ready", whether or not he was in position. If you truly aren't ready, you don't make an attempt. It's in the rules. Your point, broseph!

goober
10-01-2005, 02:59 PM
your point.

How can you claim you weren't ready after three strokes have been played (serve, return of serve and another ground stroke) ! If you aren't paying attention by then you deserve to lose the point.

Plus he attempted a volley.

Mahboob Khan
10-01-2005, 06:07 PM
Plus doubles is a team. If his partner was ready to receive and he did receive, he is considered ready. Plus, the receiver(s) should play to the pace of the server! When the server is ready you are ready or you should be ready.

armand
10-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Here's a different situation that I sometimes face: The serve is coming to my partner so I'm calling if it's long or not. And sometimes he calls it out when I know it wasn't and I correct him and say "No, that ball was in"
Now what happens? I've always assumed that we lose the point automatically because it was our mistake in making a bad call. But my last partner said that we don't lose the point and instead the server gets another first serve. That doesn't seem fair to the server though. What to do?

equinox
10-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Plus doubles is a team. If his partner was ready to receive and he did receive, he is considered ready. Plus, the receiver(s) should play to the pace of the server! When the server is ready you are ready or you should be ready.

The reasonable pace of the server.

I'll take all of my 20 seconds break between points.

Then we're ready. Not before.