PDA

View Full Version : 14 yr old - any chance?

jackabee
10-02-2005, 12:02 AM
Hi,

I am 14 years old and live in the UK. Have I got any chance of making it as a pro player - It is my dream and I would do ANYTHING to get there. I won the boys singles and doubles last year in my town and I won the mens doubles this year. I am now starting to do more county and national tournaments. I have also been offered a trial at the Sanchez-Casal academy in barcelona. So, do I have a chance of making it as a pro? And if so, what do I need to do to make it?

Cheers!

dancraig
10-02-2005, 01:07 AM
I think you can do it. There should be some pros in your area that can give you an honest assessment of your chances. Good luck.

nickybol
10-02-2005, 01:29 AM
Get yourself a decent private coach, play some national events and some international ITF/Tenniseurope events. Get a sponsor and make it happen. Do everything for it, make sure you have a school which can adapt to your needs, so for example that you only have to go to school in the mornings. Keep us informed!

Klippy
10-03-2005, 05:27 AM
good luck! you can do it!

liionel
10-03-2005, 08:33 AM
good luck! be the next murray or henman! :D

Geezer Guy
10-03-2005, 11:09 AM
If you have been offered a trial at the Sanchez-Casal, sounds like THEY think you have a chance. When you go for the trial, remember that they're probably looking at the skills you currently possess, and your POTENTIAL for improvement. Show them you have a good attitude and work ethic. Show them you want to learn and improve. Show them you're NOT a spoiled little cry-baby. Good luck!

Shyyre
10-03-2005, 11:25 AM
i hope that things work out! remember that for almost all aspiring pros, no matter what the sport, it's not an easy life by any stretch of the imagination. you have to prepare yourself for that reality.

that said, think about jill crybas (sp?) the journey woman who beat serena at wimbledon this year. she's played a LONG time, never really breaking through, just getting by, playing qualifiers, etc... but she kept doing it, living on the road, because she loved the game ... and that my young friend, is the secret. always do your best, apply yourself, never take no for an answer, practice hard, listen to your coaches and play your *** off, but always remember why you are there in the first place... because you love tennis!

good luck, and keep us posted!

Marius_Hancu
10-03-2005, 11:50 AM
keep it up!

get some variety in your game, don't just be a baseliner, and you will get far.

Skppr05
10-03-2005, 12:17 PM
AWESOME! best wishes go to you ^_^

Mahboob Khan
10-04-2005, 06:58 PM
There is a 14 years old British girl, Amena Hameed, who trained with me for 3 weeks and then participated in 4th Islamic Women Games in Iran last month.

Answering your question. Why not. Follow this:

-- Constantly improve your technique through coaching and many sites available: www.procomparetennis.net, www.tennisplayer.net, and this forum.

-- Constantly improve your tactics by watching good Pros play and through your own matches. Good coaching may help.

-- For your age you should be playing about 50 singles and 25 doubles international junior matches i.e. ITF 18U events. Log on to: www.itftennis.com/juniors.

-- Work hard after losses,

-- Work even harder after your wins!!!

Good luck.

B5002
10-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Good luck! If you have the determination and perseverance I bet you could make it.

jackabee
10-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Wow! Thank you all so much - I feel more than ever that I can make it now! After reading these comments I have not had a bad game of tennis since. I have a week-long county tournament coming up at the end of october so I will let you know how it goes. Thank you all again and I shall print these messages out and whenever I am on a low I will read them :D I will keep you posted about the tournaments and the trial!

Thank you again,

J

Mr.Federer
10-07-2005, 09:13 AM
Sanchez-Casal academy?You can make it. But is that the academy that Kuznetsova trains in?

jackabee
10-07-2005, 09:38 AM
Sanchez-Casal academy?You can make it. But is that the academy that Kuznetsova trains in?

Yeh it is...why?