PDA

View Full Version : Two handed backhand

AMD64
10-02-2005, 10:29 AM
I need help with my two handed backhand... it is really weak.. somehow.. i feel like im "pushing" the ball, not punching it. Any tips?

Exile
10-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Post pics.

rilokiley
10-02-2005, 04:40 PM
rotate your shoulder and use your non-dominant hand. make contact with the ball in front of your body.

fist pump
10-02-2005, 06:21 PM
imagine someone using a hammer to drive a nail.
u dont really just push a hammer to the nail - you have to swing it in an arc at fast speed/velocity.

this applies to the forehand and backhand - " racquethead speed ".

Bungalo Bill
10-02-2005, 06:32 PM
I need help with my two handed backhand... it is really weak.. somehow.. i feel like im "pushing" the ball, not punching it. Any tips?

Chances are you are:

1. Too tight in the shoulders and arms. Make sure they stay relaxed. Period.

2. Closing off the hips. The hips need to breathe and "swivel" in the shot. When you are getting ready to hit the ball the hips are sort of facing the side fence, they need to be facing the net at contact and after. They need to be able to rotate through.

3. Too flat in the feet. Make sure you lift the heel of your backfoot off the ground as you go through the ball. This happens because you have bent knees, your hips can open, you are not crossed over. The weight transfer should be on your front foot as you lift the back foot.

Do these things and your backhand will be a power shot.

joesixtoe
10-02-2005, 10:23 PM
use ur non dominant arm, and make sure u grip it like u would grip a forehand... its basically a left handed forehand, so grip it like it is

joesixtoe
10-02-2005, 10:26 PM
also rotate your hips, try to get more hip and leg strengh into it,, use the link below

http://groups.msn.com/TennizFriendzSingaporeTFS/tennisanalysis3.msnw

TENNIS2
10-02-2005, 10:32 PM

I don't want to steal your thread but I am going to piggy-back on your thread here since my question is related. I feel like I have the same problem sometimes with regard to power, when that happens I just make sure I have a closed stand and bring my racquet way back. But my major problem with backhand is that I can only hit the sweet spot about 1/3 of the time, while I am much better with my forehand. Any suggestions?

Bungalo Bill
10-03-2005, 08:24 AM
I don't want to steal your thread but I am going to piggy-back on your thread here since my question is related. I feel like I have the same problem sometimes with regard to power, when that happens I just make sure I have a closed stand and bring my racquet way back. But my major problem with backhand is that I can only hit the sweet spot about 1/3 of the time, while I am much better with my forehand. Any suggestions?

The weaker side of the body needs to be developed not just physically but the senses need to be developed as well (how it processes information). Learning how far to be away from the ball, how low to position the racket head before coming up to contact needs to be developed as well.

You do not want to take for granted that you got the ball lined up on this side. You are transferring a habit you developed on the strong side. When you practice really try to hold your head still and develop the discipline to not move your eyes off the ball so quickly.

You should take note on where you are mishitting and adjust your racket accordingly. Most players have the racket too high or when they swing bring the racket up too quickly at the elbows. This raises the racket head and causes the swing path to be higher then it should.

Only deliberately hitting slow feed balls will help your brain learn how to swing the racket for clean contact.