PDA

View Full Version : Which is your most valued skill?

Rickson
10-03-2005, 06:25 AM
Fantasy poll: You'll be given one skill, to be the best in the world at this one and only one skill, all other skills are up to you to develop and make stronger. Which one would it be? You could be the best server meaning it would take a phenomenal effort to break you and even top ATP players would have a world of trouble breaking you. You could have the best forehand with precision, heavy pace, and good spin. You could be the greatest volleyer, and good approach shots are included with this skill. You could have the best backhand, etc.. Which would you pick and why?

Talent
10-03-2005, 06:31 AM
If I could be THE BEST in one skill, my vote would be footwork. Good footwork alone will always keep me in the point, and the other strokes should fall in place naturally.

Rickson
10-03-2005, 06:33 AM
If I could be THE BEST in one skill, my vote would be footwork. Good footwork alone will always keep me in the point, and the other strokes should fall in place naturally.
Footwork's important as Federer and Nadal have shown, but they also have phenomenal strokes to back up the footwork. I've seen some fast guys who don't have great strokes, but stay in the point anyway.

Klippy
10-03-2005, 06:39 AM
I'd be the best server. Why? Because people would be even more scared of me, considering my height! (14 yrs old, 179cm and still growing)

joe sch
10-03-2005, 07:42 AM
Easy answer, pick best server since you would have a chance to win all your matches holding serve and hopefully winning the TB's.

Rickson
10-03-2005, 07:46 AM
Easy answer, pick best server since you would have a chance to win all your matches holding serve and hopefully winning the TB's.
Or you could be another Karlovic and not win any return games so you'd hope and hope that you could somehow for the life of you get 1 break per set.

Tennis Ball Hitter
10-03-2005, 07:55 AM
I geuss it would have to be the serve. But then again, the serve is probably the easiest stroke to practice.

Rickson
10-03-2005, 08:21 AM
I geuss it would have to be the serve. But then again, the serve is probably the easiest stroke to practice.
Remember this also; if you go up against an ATP player and he somehow returns that serve, every stroke after that is up to you. I said you'd be tough to break, but not impossible so you'd also need to practice dictating the point.

rilokiley
10-03-2005, 08:50 AM
Yall need to define "best." If it meant that I'd never ever make a mistake I'd just hit a weakass forehand and come to the net. haha

Rickson
10-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Yall need to define "best." If it meant that I'd never ever make a mistake I'd just hit a weakass forehand and come to the net. haha
Best meaning errors are extremely rare. Unforced errors wouldn't even exist, but forced errors could happen. For servers, first serves would not go in at 100%, but they'd be 100% if you took a little bit off the first serve (80% of max speed). I'm guessing you mean volleys. You can get passed and lobbed, but you'd be tougher to pass and lob than Federer if you chose to be the world's best volleyer.

Nakedboy87
10-03-2005, 11:26 AM
i'd want to be the best at volleys just because of the fact i suck at them now and everything else is decent, and you don't see great volleyers often =).

Rickson
10-03-2005, 11:30 AM
I'm sticking with serves because it's the only shot you can practice when you're alone and have no ball machine. Although you'd need no practice with your magical skill, you can have a good time showing off and hearing the fence clink while people around you just stare in awe.

Talent
10-03-2005, 01:23 PM
I would also like to add another reason why I picked footwork. For the *excitement*, I think I would be bored to death just banging away with those other tools, but having awe-inspiring footwork would keep the adrenaline going.

Return_Ace
10-03-2005, 01:25 PM
server, since the serve is the weakest part of my game............

kevhen
10-03-2005, 02:01 PM
Easy, to serve. If you hold serve, you never lose.

PM_
10-03-2005, 02:15 PM
I'm sticking with serves because it's the only shot you can practice when you're alone and have no ball machine. Although you'd need no practice with your magical skill, you can have a good time showing off and hearing the fence clink while people around you just stare in awe.

That's precisely why you shouldn't choose it-b/c after an exorbant amount of practice you can master it all by yourself.

kevhen
10-03-2005, 02:30 PM
But only one can be the best. I wouldn't mind 40-50 aces per match.

PM_
10-03-2005, 02:51 PM
But what happens when your opponent gets his stick on it about half the time and torches a blocking laser to your backhand? :p :p

donnyz89
10-03-2005, 03:29 PM
none... my game sucks.

lendl lives
10-03-2005, 04:41 PM
lol! some one picked drop shot.

SageOfDeath
10-03-2005, 06:39 PM
I'd choose to be the best volleyer.

Mahboob Khan
10-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Against big servers I find that my "return of serve" needs improvement. If I have the best return of serve I can beat people because I have a reasonable serve already. Best return of serve means that:

-- I have great eye sight; great speed - reaction - great foot work

-- I have great forehand and backhand

because return of serve is achieved via a forehand or backhand!

All Court
10-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Well, having a good return means that your forehand is good, your backhand is good, you're extremely good at taking balls early, and can react and move extremely well! That's about everything!

Of course, the serve is the most important shot in tennis. All points begin with it, and you really can get away with not much else if you really have the best serve in the world. I'm thinking that means huge pace, spin, and most of all placement. Unbeatable.

So I went with serve. I should've gone with return, since it's about everything else.

LOL, I read the posts above me...and Mahboob said the same thing. He's one step (well, or more) ahead of everyone else. :D

Indiantwist
10-03-2005, 08:36 PM
My best skill is "identifying Weakness in Opponents Game and working up a winning strategy". Sounds strange but its only because of that i Won matches i almost lost.

I played with better opponents and No body expected me to win. My Opponents played good (after all they are good). What outdone them was my ability to read their game and poke holes. In my last match I knew i needed to get good serves in as i dont stand a chance once we get into rallies. Luckily i was able to get good %age of serves.

I work out different strategies different times and was always lucky to be able to execute my plan well.

TENNIS2
10-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Lightning speed! Imaging you are one of those guys in the Matrix, tennis would be so easy!

Rickson
10-04-2005, 05:13 AM
That's precisely why you shouldn't choose it-b/c after an exorbant amount of practice you can master it all by yourself.
You can say that about the forehand and backhand too. You can master any shot with a lot of practice, but since I'd be given just one expert skill, I'd still pick the serve.

rfederer32291
10-04-2005, 05:43 AM
I would definetely choose footwork. You can't win without proper footwork, and its very hard to get physically trained to get to every shot in the perfect stance. Footwork is everything.

Rodzilla
10-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Easy, to serve. If you hold serve, you never lose.

My sentiments exactly.

Burt Turkoglu
10-06-2005, 01:26 AM
....yep serve...

Vince
10-06-2005, 07:44 PM
definitely serve. Would help to have a dependable serve for cheap points and to set up the point.

tormented_genius
10-06-2005, 07:54 PM
First glance at the topic, and The Return Of Serve comes to mind; the reasons seem to have been covered enough

rafael
10-06-2005, 11:33 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread about our most valued skills that we currently possess :). Regardless my choice is still the serve, more specifically my second serve. When I know I can depend on my second serve I am willing to go for big first serves, which leads to confidence in other aspects of my game.