PDA

View Full Version : First skill/ shot a beginner should learn?

hipster
10-03-2005, 08:23 AM
A few people here at school have asked me to work with them on starting to play tennis. I'm not that great myself, but I told them I could help out hitting around. What do you guys think is the first shot that they should learn? I think the first real shot that I figured out, other than "aim for between the lines on the other side of the net," was a slice. It's a good defensive shot, and I learned from there. Any other suggestions (and I'm sure there are)?

liionel
10-03-2005, 08:32 AM
make sure they know the proper foot work and maybe a backhand/forehand.

JeffH1
10-03-2005, 09:07 AM
just basic forehand / backhand drills. You can watch the balls fly all over the place for hours ;-) If they have basic hitting skills (they can hit with the racquet face square, and place it in a general area), then refine gripping the raquet/footwork/weight transfer. I would consider teaching simple serving before the slice. I kinda consider the slice an advanced move. To hit a slice with authority, takes good footwork and body mechanics, but the serve is a very basic of the game.
You could simply buy a beginners tennis book and go through all the drills. Remember to make it FUN!

Rickson
10-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Feed them balls from the net with your hand and show them an eastern forehand. Teaching them slice right off the bat might turn them into pushers.