PDA

View Full Version : Tips for teaching beginners

RoddickOwnzYou
10-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Hi all. I've been playing the game for about 6 years, but I taught myself for the first 4 and have only taken lessons at a more advanced level. I have 2 friends that are looking to learn the game (they know very little, but have played). I have some ideas as to what to start them out doing, but would love some feedback and tips on some good approaches to teaching noobies the basics of the game. Any and all help is much appreciated!

safin_protege
10-03-2005, 03:24 PM
I am not much of teacher at all, having only taught one of my friends who was similarly skilled to the friends of which you speak. My one suggestion is to take it slowly - don't overwhelm them with miniscule details of technique, work on the basics first.

nickybol
10-03-2005, 09:20 PM
1 aspect at a time. Make sure you have a bucket of balls so you can feed them. Feeding balls is very useful for beginners. Keep it simple, when giving feedback just talk about one point at a time. If someone hits a backhand don`t say you must rotate your shoulder more, step in with your foot, swing from low to high, not that all, just one thing at a time.

Focus on consistency and the correct technique. Start playing mini-tennis, also with adults.

There`s so much to tell about this, but if you want to know anything, ask it. If you wanna play sure, hire a teaching pro ;)

rfederer32291
10-04-2005, 04:46 AM
I am not much of teacher at all, having only taught one of my friends who was similarly skilled to the friends of which you speak. My one suggestion is to take it slowly - don't overwhelm them with miniscule details of technique, work on the basics first.

You are completely wrong in this department. The only way beginners will learn how to hit shots properly is if they learn the proper mechanics from the beginning, or else they will continue to use their bad habits. Its much easier to start out the right way, than start out the wrong way and try to fix it.

nViATi
10-04-2005, 06:12 AM
You are completely wrong in this department. The only way beginners will learn how to hit shots properly is if they learn the proper mechanics from the beginning, or else they will continue to use their bad habits. Its much easier to start out the right way, than start out the wrong way and try to fix it.
yeah but you can't teach them topspin and everything right away

joe sch
10-04-2005, 07:37 AM
I believe the most important aspect of teaching a beginner is making the lesson fun & successful. This will install confidence and help them want to continue.

Q: How do you accomplish this ?
A: Start with the easiest skill ...

Start by teaching a blocking volley, it teaches to watch the ball and get the feel of hitting the ball.

Have student stand very close to net and hold the racket in FH volley and hit/throw the ball at the students racket !
Do the same for the BH volley.

This will be fun and your student will enjoy hitting the ball over the net :)

As student gains confidence, have the student slowly move back ...

Next, hitting ground strokes from service line.
As student gains confidence, have the student slowly move back ...

I think you get the idea. This teaching helps to create allcourt players, not baseline bashers ;)

PS : As mentioned by some above posts, mechanics are very important from the start. Keep it simple from the start, closed stances and eastern grips. Later on, they can go open and western to baseline bash :)

nickybol
10-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Make sure you now the biomechanics of tennis, how strokes are produced, the correct way to hit a ball biomechanically correct.

Marius_Hancu
10-04-2005, 10:32 AM
search keywords:
tip beginners
teaching beginners
will give you

How to teach beginners?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=50818

Teaching Beginners
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=63975

safin_protege
10-05-2005, 05:02 AM

I never said teach them the 'wrong' mechanics, I said don't overwhelm them. That would mean, making sure they know where to position their feet before you teach them an inside-out forehand. Basics first, then you can teach more complicated skills.

Marius_Hancu
10-05-2005, 07:33 AM
teach them to hold the racket in two hands in the ready position and hit/move from there. this will take them a long way.

also, flex the knees, move on the toes.