PDA

View Full Version : arm pain due to service motion?

liionel
10-03-2005, 10:21 PM
im not sure if its me or my arm. but my arm hurts after i serve up about 100+ balls. i'm guessing that it could be my service motion.

also when i serve. i tend to toss the ball abit too low, thus resulting in either a long serve or a serve that hits the net. however when i try to toss the ball slightly higher, i tend to either miss the ball or get a frame shot.

i bent my knees but i'm not sure about the weight transfer you guys usually talk about that affects the serve. someone please help me. thanks :(

mark1
10-04-2005, 12:01 AM
if i hit one hundred consecutive serves my arm would be a bit tender too. also consider the fact that the babolat frame you are using is very stiff, which often times results in exaggerated arm pain...

liionel
10-04-2005, 12:46 AM
i've switched from using the babolat frame to the lm prestige. however when i hit normal forehands and backhands the pain doesnt even come about.

Marius_Hancu
10-04-2005, 04:55 AM
i've switched from using the babolat frame to the lm prestige. however when i hit normal forehands and backhands the pain doesnt even come about.

heavier racket, you must toss more into the court and change your technique to use more the other elements of your body.

also, denser stringbed, you might have to switch to multis or natural gut, and even lower tensions, which I had to do after I had problems serving with the PC600 (I am using normally 6.0 85)

click on my name and see articles related to arm and shoulder problems

also, check articles on "elbow" and "shoulder" in the Health forum

check the Elbow and Shoulder Pain in my signature and do the exercises there:

liionel
10-04-2005, 06:46 AM
thanks marius! i've checked out the websites you recommended. good stuff.

Geezer Guy
10-04-2005, 07:16 AM
Be sure to keep your head up and your eye's on the ball well through contact. If you drop your head it could result in a mishit or frame shot, or even if you get a solid hit it could end up short.

Rodzilla
10-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Perhaps using too much of your arm, at least that's the first thing that came to mind. Make sure to remember the serve involves your whole body, I could say that most of the power comes from the legs, in the knee bend

Marius_Hancu
10-05-2005, 05:03 PM
check
Service Power and Placement
in the Sticky at the top
esp
Primary muscles used for serving
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=29058
(check esp the "waterfall" approach by Bungalo Bill)

Bungalo Bill
10-05-2005, 05:35 PM
im not sure if its me or my arm. but my arm hurts after i serve up about 100+ balls. i'm guessing that it could be my service motion.

also when i serve. i tend to toss the ball abit too low, thus resulting in either a long serve or a serve that hits the net. however when i try to toss the ball slightly higher, i tend to either miss the ball or get a frame shot.

i bent my knees but i'm not sure about the weight transfer you guys usually talk about that affects the serve. someone please help me. thanks :(

When practicing make sure you are hitting the ball in front of you to take pressure off the arm. Sometimes players will toss in front and then move back under the ball while their service motion is happening. Maybe video tape yourself to see if you are doing so.

liionel
10-05-2005, 06:43 PM
thanks bill! appreciate all your help guys ((:

Burt Turkoglu
10-06-2005, 12:45 AM
Perhaps using too much of your arm, at least that's the first thing that came to mind. Make sure to remember the serve involves your whole body, I could say that most of the power comes from the legs, in the knee bend
.....I agree with this guy.....serve with your body.....the arm is along for the ride.....it is at the end of the kinetic chain (almost).......also, make sure your arm is relaxed by relaxing your face muscles....sounds weird but it works....