PDA

View Full Version : Service going long

tennis_fan
10-04-2005, 04:21 PM
All (or most of it) of my service errors are due to the serve going long (Not too long, pretty close). I rarely hit to the net. Looks like i am very consistent on the service errors :-)

Any ideas to correct it ?....

Thanks

Mark S. Hogan
10-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Don't tell anyone I said this, but try snapping the wrist while aiming at 1PM on the ball.

Marius_Hancu
10-04-2005, 06:30 PM
probably your legs don't work
no torso rotation
that's where the "curve" is coming from
you're prolly just "arming" the ball

also, check:

Hitting Long or Net
http://tennis.about.com/od/serve/a/serverepair.htm

check my posting
Serve Power and Placement
in the Sticky

GrahamIsSuper
10-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Could also be that your toss is too far back and/or over your head. Are you hitting a slice/flat serve? If this is the case, you need to have your toss farther forward and slightly to the right (right-handed). What is happening, which I believe is the case with you (no offense, Marius :-D) is that when you are contacting the ball, you are contacting it like so:

\ 0 (the Slash is the racquet face, 0 is the ball)

instead of like this:

/ 0

by hitting it with such an "open" racquet face, you are hitting the ball UP rather than forward, thus causing it to go long. I would say you need to move your toss forward.

Rickson
10-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Tossing the ball too close to you often causes long serves while tossing deep into the court, often results in netting the serve. Try to find a happy medium and toss the ball out a little farther in front of you. See what happens.

GrahamIsSuper
10-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Tossing the ball too close to you often causes long serves while tossing deep into the court, often results in netting the serve. Try to find a happy medium and toss the ball out a little farther in front of you. See what happens.

Haha beat you to that by mere seconds, Rickson

All Court
10-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Hitting serves long usually means hitting the ball late and maybe hitting with a grip further to the forehand side than continental (which hopefully is not your problem).

Hitting serves into the net means it was too far in front, you really aimed for snapping your wrist instead of pronating naturally, etc.

Troubleshoot accordingly, or in your case, look at the first sentence as Graham and Rickson already pointed out.

By the way, hitting in front will kick the pace up a notch, too. More weight and such is transferred when you hit out in front, and your shoulder isn't in an awkward position anymore.

Rickson
10-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Haha beat you to that by mere seconds, Rickson
Does that mean we think alike? Be afraid, be very afraid!

B5002
10-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Yeah, i think this may be the problem. If you toss ball further out in front of you, you'll make contact further through your swing and hopefully prevent your serves from sailing long.

Aeropro joe
10-04-2005, 07:28 PM
yeh adjust ur toss too far forward-into the net - to far back-long

ShooterMcMarco
10-04-2005, 08:19 PM
always keep your head up and watch your arm shoot across the sky.

Rodzilla
10-05-2005, 03:45 PM
"Shoulders face where you are aiming, reach up as high as possible, and snap the wrist upon contact"

Just something to keep in mind but don't get conscious about anything and keep it simple, and it could be just a focus problem...

Burt Turkoglu
10-06-2005, 12:46 AM
....this may sound silly but it worked for me....look at where you want to serve.....then look right above that at the net tape....aim for that spot on the tape.....for me, my ball would go right over that spot on the tape instead of hitting it......and a good serve......try it....experiment with different things.....trial and error give the best lessons sometimes.....