PDA

View Full Version : Man vs. woman (pride at stake)

Rickson
10-04-2005, 06:39 PM
I'm going to play a very athletic 6'1" girl in about 2 weeks. This girl is one of the top players on her volleyball team and has played tennis (lessons and all) since she was a little girl. I've seen her play before and although she's a decent player, I'm pretty sure I can overpower her. She recently beat a friend of mine and now the guys don't want to play her, but I accepted the challenge. Her strengths are her height of course, consistent groundstrokes for the most part, and good foot speed from the other sports she plays. Her weaknesses are, her serves are not great, she doesn't come to net often, and her 2 handed backhand is questionable. My strengths are my forehand, volleys, good slices, and my first serve when I get them in. My weaknesses are an inconsistent 1 handed backhand, and my serve becomes a liability when I miss the first serve. Any advice on how to beat her so I don't wind up like my buddy?

Chris Evert-Awful
10-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Get her drunk. Or maybe try screaming "DRIVE BY SHOOTING!" as she goes for her groundies.

Rickson
10-04-2005, 06:58 PM
I tried an experiment today with Raul. I lent him the LM Prestige that TwistServe sent me and because it's heavier than his Head Intelligence, he couldn't adjust to the weight and I bageled him. The girl might be a good athlete, but she's also used to light racquets, using the Head ti laser. Now since her racquets are in Colorado and it's up to me to lend her the racquet, why don't I lend her the liquid metal and see if she can adjust to the weight? I'll be using a Babolat PD+.

fishuuuuu
10-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Are you really that worried about losing you're going to stack the odds? :p

Get her drunk ... it'll be more rewarding during and after the game.

Thanatos
10-04-2005, 07:19 PM
It's not complicated. If she beats you then your game my not be as strong as you think. It maybe a blessing in disguised. If you lose, work on your weaknesses. Just have fun and don't worry about what your friends will think...screw them!

Thanatos
10-04-2005, 07:19 PM
It's not complicated. If she beats you then your game my not be as strong as you think. It maybe a blessing in disguised. If you lose, work on your weaknesses. Just have fun and don't worry about what your friends will think...screw them!

Rickson
10-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Are you really that worried about losing you're going to stack the odds? :p

Get her drunk ... it'll be more rewarding during and after the game.
I don't think she'll be up for beers before a tennis match. Any more bright ideas?

All Court
10-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Well...if this Raul guy's a jerk, why do you keep playing with him and lending racquets?

You've already given yourself the answer. Either draw her in, attack her backhand frequently, and jam her. Sidespin backhand slices (your slice is your strength, adapting to sidespin shouldn't be a problem) to HER backhand works perfectly.

Then just go at 80% of your first serve and aim to get it in. Strategy is just attacking her weaknesses with your strengths.

And...lessons since she was a girl? I remember you saying somewhere you played with 2.5-3.0 people. If she's that athletic and has been playing for so long, don't you think that's a bit above 3.0? I only know that you mention Lou and Raul when you play with people (you say they're jerks, but play them repeatedly, so there has to be some friendship in there) so it shouldn't have been hard for her at all to beat a 3.0 or under player. If you're the same level as the people you play with (I don't see why you consistently would try to play with people lower level than yourself that you don't like), then maybe she's on a completely different level in the first place.

Well, how much did she beat your friend by?

Rickson
10-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Well...if this Raul guy's a jerk, why do you keep playing with him and lending racquets?

You've already given yourself the answer. Either draw her in, attack her backhand frequently, and jam her. Sidespin backhand slices (your slice is your strength, adapting to sidespin shouldn't be a problem) to HER backhand works perfectly.

Then just go at 80% of your first serve and aim to get it in. Strategy is just attacking her weaknesses with your strengths.

And...lessons since she was a girl? I remember you saying somewhere you played with 2.5-3.0 people. If she's that athletic and has been playing for so long, don't you think that's a bit above 3.0? I only know that you mention Lou and Raul when you play with people (you say they're jerks, but play them repeatedly, so there has to be some friendship in there) so it shouldn't have been hard for her at all to beat a 3.0 or under player. If you're the same level as the people you play with (I don't see why you consistently would try to play with people lower level than yourself that you don't like), then maybe she's on a completely different level in the first place.

Well, how much did she beat your friend by?

Well, AC, my buddy doesn't have half the pace I do on his groundies, but he's a good retreiver due to his speed and track background. The guy is neither Lou or Raul, but a guy named Mike who happens to be a much cooler guy. Mike is by no means a powerful player as I already said so he didn't force any errors or hit winners, but he kept retreiving and counterpunching. The 1 set they played, ended at 6-4, and I'm pretty sure I can beat Mike by a larger margin. Thanks for the tips, especially about the serves.

All Court
10-04-2005, 08:11 PM
I don't see any problems for you in beating her then. Most of your strengths match up perfectly.

And keep going for that sidespin BH slice to her backhand, by the way. I use it frequently as an approach. Many players (I play with people from 3.5-4.0) I play with two handed backhands send the ball off to the side or straight up when jammed.

So since your volleys are good, another plus. Even though she's fast as you said, most fast people at low levels are extremely vulnerable to jamming anyway.

And seriously, against women, your serve gets you a long way already. They're good at returning whatever they get used to, even if it's men's serves, but she normally plays women and...they don't hit their serves very hard, do they.

Once again, you're fine.

Speaking from a personal trainer background and such...you might think that this is taking it too far, but hey, it helps:

Eat a heavy complex carbs meal about four hours before the match. Lots of time to digest. You shouldn't be doing any strenuous activity until then, so it's not like you're going to work it off unless she's one of those people that wants to warmup for fricking three hours.

Later, take light snacks -preferably fruit. Try not to eat ANYTHING an hour or less before the match. You will want to bring water or some kind of sports drink, and drink a little bit every chance you get (even if you don't feel thirsty) to keep performance up and avoid dehydration. If you're really thirsty later on, drinking water won't help you immediately.

And it's a one set match, so you shouldn't really run out of energy, especially if you try the nutrition guidelines. Well...kick her _ss. I mean, I'm sorry, but it's hard for a guy to lose to a girl, and hey, if you beat her (which you should, by all means) then it's fun to have bragging rights with your friend (don't rub it in too much, he's a friend after all). Take him out for a drink or something (assuming you're old enough) and just have fun afterwards.

Err, speaking from the fitness standpoint again, drinking is bad. But it's fun.

Disclaimer: I really am an open-minded individual and am not particularly a chauvinist or against women's rights (well, I have several jokes against that). I just believe that is IS part of male pride and he should...you know, beat the _fill_in_the_blank_ out of her.

mucat
10-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Lend her a PS 6.0 85, you should be able to beat her soundly.

bluegrasser
10-05-2005, 05:30 AM
Hey Chris Evert Awful , what ever happened to that beautiful vocabulary of yours.
How to win ? for one I'd hit low slices to the backhand side, and try jamming her on the serve, but really i'd just enjoy the moment, heck playing against a six foot female would be enchanting to say the least.

goober
10-05-2005, 06:30 AM
Even though she took lessons as a kid, that really doesn't mean much unless she was playing at a very high level as a kid. It doesn't sound like it because she beat your 2.5 friend only 6-4. Since she is going to be using a new racquet and she probably doesn't play much these days, consistency is going to be a problem for her. I wouldn't try to overpower her at least at first.

Hit at 80% and with deep shots and she how consistent she is. On the 3.0 level power tennis rarely wins unless your opponent really erratic.

Since you have a good slice and she has a suspect backhand, I would definitely try to come into the net with a slice shot to her backhand.

I wouldn't get into a lot of backhand to backhand rallys since your backhand is also inconsistent. If she tries hittling alot to your backhand run around it and do some inside out forehands.

Try to draw her into the net if she is uncomfortable there with a short slice.

I wouldn't take this match as a pride thing btw. If she beats you be gracious and maybe you can get a better hitting partner than your current Raul and company.

kevhen
10-05-2005, 07:08 AM
Keep your best racquet for yourself but give her you next best racquet, probably a lighter one. Otherwise if you give her a heavy racquet, then you still might doubt that you can beat her with her own equipment. Don't worry about losing to a girl, just play your best, and see what shots work best against her and go to them as much as possible. You might try to dropshot to her backhand side and bring her to net.

Rickson
10-05-2005, 07:14 AM
Keep your best racquet for yourself but give her you next best racquet, probably a lighter one. Otherwise if you give her a heavy racquet, then you still might doubt that you can beat her with her own equipment. Don't worry about losing to a girl, just play your best, and see what shots work best against her and go to them as much as possible. You might try to dropshot to her backhand side and bring her to net.
I spin better with the Bab because it's 16/19 and the LM is 18/20. I happen to have an old cheap ti laser which she's used to.

Tim Tennis
10-05-2005, 07:19 AM
Rickson,

Who cares, go out there and play her, do your best, have fun. No doubt the male ego is at stake but, so what, you will probably try harder. I am sure there are a lot of women out there that could beat most of the posters on this board. Yikes! Of course I am not in that group. LOL

You got to love the game.

Geezer Guy
10-05-2005, 07:43 AM
Rickson, With only two weeks until the big match, you don't have much time to work on that EXCUSE. You're going to lose - you KNOW you are, so you need to start working on that great excuse now! You've pulled a muscle, right? and it hasn't had time to heal. You've had stomach flu, and you spent the entire day before helping a friend move. You get the idea. :)

JK - but seriously, if I were you I would try my HARDEST to just approach this match as you would a match against a guy. You know his (her) strengths and weakness, and there are many good suggestions above about how to structure the match to pit your strengths against his (her) weakness. Just view and approach the match as just another match.

JUST SPEAKING FOR MYSELF, when I have "grudge" match coming up, I tend to play worse than normal. I put a lot of extra pressure on myself to win, and my game goes in the crapper. I've learned that - FOR ME - I need to approach each match the same way. I'm playing against the ball, not the other player. Good luck.

Rickson
10-05-2005, 07:52 AM
Rickson, With only two weeks until the big match, you don't have much time to work on that EXCUSE. You're going to lose - you KNOW you are, so you need to start working on that great excuse now! You've pulled a muscle, right? and it hasn't had time to heal. You've had stomach flu, and you spent the entire day before helping a friend move. You get the idea. :)

JK - but seriously, if I were you I would try my HARDEST to just approach this match as you would a match against a guy. You know his (her) strengths and weakness, and there are many good suggestions above about how to structure the match to pit your strengths against his (her) weakness. Just view and approach the match as just another match.

JUST SPEAKING FOR MYSELF, when I have "grudge" match coming up, I tend to play worse than normal. I put a lot of extra pressure on myself to win, and my game goes in the crapper. I've learned that - FOR ME - I need to approach each match the same way. I'm playing against the ball, not the other player. Good luck.
Good advice, GG. I'll go into the match without feeling pressure and I'll stick to the fundamentals. I'll lend her the racquet she's most used to so there'd be no excuse when I win, and I'll exploit her weaknesses. I plan on going to her backhand a lot and if she starts to groove on that side, I'll slice them low in that direction. If she gets used to that too, I'll slice them low to her forehand side so she'll be reaching low from both wings. I plan on approaching a lot on her ad side so hopefully, these tactics will frustrate her and get me an easy win.

joe sch
10-05-2005, 07:53 AM
I spin better with the Bab because it's 16/19 and the LM is 18/20. I happen to have an old cheap ti laser which she's used to.
Forget about spin and baseline bashing unless you think you can just overpower her. Most of the dames are real consistent from the baseline and like spin since it give them more time to retrieve. Attack, get into the net and make her chase angled volleys. Guys are usually faster than gals and most players do not like being attacked today.

Superior_Forehand
10-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Dont try and overpower her. Focus on getting a HIGH percentage of first serves in and aim them to her backhand side, move her around the court with your regular powered groundstrokes, and come to the net after a good aproach. Dont make the mistake of trying to hit harder than you can controll against a girl just for the sake of pride. Just play her like you would any other opponent.

Geezer Guy
10-05-2005, 10:05 AM
... I'll go into the match without feeling pressure and I'll stick to the fundamentals. I'll lend her the racquet she's most used to so there'd be no excuse when I win, and I'll exploit her weaknesses. I plan on going to her backhand a lot and if she starts to groove on that side, I'll slice them low in that direction. If she gets used to that too, I'll slice them low to her forehand side so she'll be reaching low from both wings. I plan on approaching a lot on her ad side so hopefully, these tactics will frustrate her and get me an easy win.

I think that's an excellent plan. The only thing I would add is to see how your serve is going, and if it's going well I'd BLAST a few in key situations. Likely she's not used to returning very hard serves. If your serve's not working that great that day, take a bit off and make sure you get most of your first serves in. Don't give her a steady diet of second serves. Have fun.

Rickson
10-05-2005, 10:39 AM
I think that's an excellent plan. The only thing I would add is to see how your serve is going, and if it's going well I'd BLAST a few in key situations. Likely she's not used to returning very hard serves. If your serve's not working that great that day, take a bit off and make sure you get most of your first serves in. Don't give her a steady diet of second serves. Have fun.
I'll do that for sure. I hope to get in a lot of first serves, but if I can't, I'll send the second serves to her backhand.

Burt Turkoglu
10-05-2005, 10:47 PM
....I used to coach a women's college team....I would beat 'em all easy by playing steady and giving 'em lots of junk....lots of short chips up the line and crosscourt....mix up the spins....if you have a good kick, use that....chicks like to get in a groove.....don't let 'em....don't forget the lob over the backhand side once you draw 'em into the net either.....