PDA

View Full Version : crazy sidespin forehand

thevillageidiot
10-04-2005, 11:46 PM
i was hitting casually with my friend when he hit a forehand that completely caught me off guard. As it was coming towards me it seemed like it was going to my forehand side, but then it spun to my left and i was going to hit it with a backhand. However, it then seemed to spin right, and i didn't have enough time to set up a shot. When i asked him about it later he said he just hit it really hard, and didn't even think it was going to stay in at the time because he didn't hit it with the sweetspot. He said it was kind of like a knuckleball.

My question is how do you hit this crazy shot, and is there a name for it?

nViATi
10-05-2005, 06:19 AM
name : sidespin forehand.
i guess he hit it with a wiping motion from maybe 3 to 11 oclock

racquet_07
10-05-2005, 04:52 PM
I can hit this shot sometimes but only on a high ball. For me it spins to my opponent's right side, then when it hits it jumps straight to the backhand side at an angle. Also, I can do something similar to this on my serve. One of my friends actually called it a knuckleball because it twist from left to right in the air and bounces in either way when it lands.

The way I do this on my forehand is by jumping at the ball forwards and to my left. This way my contact with the ball is longer and I put slightly more sidespin on it. By jumping to the left, I make the ball twist to the left side. Also, I don't swing from low to high on this shot. I just swing straight across the ball. I start the swing slow until I make contact then I increase the swing speed.

On my serve I just swing downward and to the left slow until contact then increase the swing speed. The serve don't have a high percentage of going in but if it does, sometimes, it can can people off of guard.

Hope this information helped a little

Burt Turkoglu
10-05-2005, 11:40 PM
.....it's not hard to do with an open stance.....it's just a mess around shot though to be used when you're messing with somebody who's not that good......like the underspin serve and the American Twist serve, it can make one look a little foolish if they've never seen it.....

thevillageidiot
10-06-2005, 09:55 AM
thanks for all the info